Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Buying my first car. Advice?

Old 04-28-2010, 11:30 AM
mike2121

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying my first car. Advice?

Hey guys Im new here and Im new to RC cars as well. I have done some research and it looks like Tamiya and Traxxas are pretty good. So i guess what Im asking for is some advice on what to look for when buying my first car. What would be a model that would be good for me to start with? The buggys look really cool in my opinion but Im not sure if this is something that is good for starters? Budget is around $150 but Im flexible. Any advice to get me going in the right direction?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:38 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Buying my first car. Advice?

Your going to have to double your budget at least, If you need batteries and a charger etc.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:49 AM
breezerboat

I wouldn't buy anything that's not priced at least $280 new. There will be many other things you need too. To get a decent RC with all the stuff you will need to keep it running, expect to spend $400 minimum.

The biggest advice I could give is to not let yourself get frustrated early on. It takes a few months to figure it all out and how to fix stuff. Stick with it, once you learn it all, you don't break stuff near as much. But do expect to spend a lot more than you could ever imagine. I started about one year ago with a MGT3.0 Monster truck and now I have a $1200 race buggy and two other $500 machines. I only wanted to buy one.... what happened to me????? I wish someone would tell me how to get control of myself. anyone?
Old 04-28-2010, 11:52 AM
john01374

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

To get a runner for $150ish you're going to need to stick to Traxxas for one of their RTR setups. You can get a Stampede or rustler for around $180 or so and they come with a battery and charger.

If you go with tamiya you need to remember that you'll need to buy your own controller, battery and charger for most models.

Don't rule out a used car or track. You can normally find very nice used rustlers, pedes and sometimes Slash's RTR for around $120ish.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
mike2121

well i can double my budget. I really just want a tough, good, solid car that i can start out with to get the basics down of the RC car world.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:14 PM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out a HPI Firestorm Flux [link=http://www.xomba.com/hpi_e_firestorm_fluxrc_car_review]Link[/link]
Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 PM
rast4man
My Feedback: (10)

Stay with the Slash and look into 1/8 buggy wheel adapters and you can run buggy tires like I do. The difference from stock tires to buggy is amazing and it handles perfect.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:16 PM
neyou86
My Feedback: (2)

take a look at the traxxas rustler. its what i got and i love it. its take everything i can throw at it. if you got the money get the vxl version. the xl5 is in your price range and is a great starter vehicle.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
rckarkid101

I would go with the Traxxas S-Maxx. It is the same thing as a T-maxx, only it is not four wheel drive and it does not have reverse. However, it cost much less and is a good car to get into the world of rc-ing. It will cost you about $350-$400 new, including batteries, fuel, charger and all the other gadgets and gizmos you want for the car (depending o where you buy). So I recommend buying one used because they usually come with everything included. Just make sure to ask the seller about any problems and be persnickety about it. A lot of people try to get away with that stuff. I hope I was of help to you
Old 04-28-2010, 09:27 PM
rooker
My Feedback: (1)

yeah, I wouldn't be scared of a used truck.  I got a nice Tmaxx for $180, had to get new engine, but still worth it!!  Everything else is great.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:34 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: rckarkid101

I would go with the Traxxas S-Maxx. It is the same thing as a T-maxx, only it is not four wheel drive and it does not have reverse. However, it cost much less and is a good car to get into the world of rc-ing. It will cost you about $350-$400 new, including batteries, fuel, charger and all the other gadgets and gizmos you want for the car (depending o where you buy). So I recommend buying one used because they usually come with everything included. Just make sure to ask the seller about any problems and be persnickety about it. A lot of people try to get away with that stuff. I hope I was of help to you
at that point I'd just say get a new Jammin X1 RTR CR (buggy) thing is built like a tank, and has a damn good engine. for $340 you get everything except nitro fuel thats needed to run
Old 04-28-2010, 10:11 PM
mike2121

Thanks guys. Yall are really helping me out here. I have just found out today that RC-ing is like crack. ha
Old 04-28-2010, 10:21 PM
Kalani938

I just got into this hobby about a month ago and I went through the same thing you are right now.  I decided to go with the Slash 4x4 and I am very pleased with it.  It's very durable and popular so they have all kinds of hop-ups for it.  I actually have 4 other friends/brothers that just bought the same truck and all of us love them.  You can get one off the Tower Hobbies site and pay it out over 3 months which is very nice.  You can also use online coupons to make your purchase smaller