Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car General Discussions
Reload this Page >

how important is it to match pinion gear pitch?

Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

how important is it to match pinion gear pitch?

Old 05-03-2010, 04:23 PM
katzcratch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how important is it to match pinion gear pitch?

I know there are 48 and 32 pitch gears. Idont know why that its...Iguess same reason there are macs and pcs?
What is the benefit of one pitch vs another?, and Iam asking for trouble if I mesh a 32 pinion with a 48 spur?
Iam sure the answer is yes, but I cant figure why castle makes only 32 pitch pinion gears

Old 05-03-2010, 04:44 PM
qoisdhc oqina
My Feedback: (-1)

Default RE: how important is it to match pinion gear pitch?

Yes you will run into trouble.Generally 32 pitch is more durable and more suited to run in an open gear car, like a nitro or an electric without running the gear cover.Harder for rocks and whatnot to get stuck.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:19 PM
FieroMan121
My Feedback: (2)

well to answe compatability, they just dont work together like at all
Old 05-03-2010, 05:36 PM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you can try to match them, but it wont work... There is also 64 pitch (my personal favorite).
Old 05-03-2010, 05:37 PM
katzcratch

can you just change the spur gear to match the pinion? Or does it effect the internal workings as well
Old 05-03-2010, 05:42 PM
katzcratch

IS there a way to know what companys use what pitch?
I think losi is 48..but I cant tell by staring at the thing
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

32 pitch are also used in the classic Tamiya vehicles. I can say for certain that they do not mesh, having swapped motors between a Grasshopper and Dark Impact but forgot to swap pinions. I didn't apply power as I couldn't get a mesh at all, and thus caught my mistake, but I can't imagine it would end well.

And yes, they are more durable. My TB-02 is louder than a nitro from rocks and sand getting in the gearbox, while the vintage cars seem to ignore it. I clean it out regularly but the pinion and spur are ruined.

Old 05-03-2010, 05:55 PM
Access

Don't forget, even with pitch (if it's matched), you also have mod, ie. mod 1, mod 0.8 and so on.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:20 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Access

Don't forget, even with pitch (if it's matched), you also have mod, ie. mod 1, mod 0.8 and so on.
Mod is also pitch, it's just a different measurement for it (metric). You either have 48p, 32p, or mod 1, Mod 0.8 etc. Some people get confused though because 32p and Mod 0.8 are basically the same and work together.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:54 PM
mrgoodbar

ORIGINAL: katzcratch

I know there are 48 and 32 pitch gears. Idont know why that its...Iguess same reason there are macs and pcs?
What is the benefit of one pitch vs another?, and Iam asking for trouble if I mesh a 32 pinion with a 48 spur?
Iam sure the answer is yes, but I cant figure why castle makes only 32 pitch pinion gears

32 pitch gears were the first thing used in our hobby, and just like 1/8th nitros today that use them it was the standard pitch for gearing on the first on-road RC cars back in the 1970s and early 80s. In the mid 1980s they developed 64 pitch gears, and like today they were primarily used by 1/12th onroad guys to give themselves more gearing options. A few years later in the late 80s marked the release of the first 48pitch gears, and these were the primary choice of offroad races as they were a happy medium, between 32pitch that didn't get fouled with dirt very easily and 64pitch gears that required a lot of upkeep, and still allowed for a greater number of gearing options than the original 32pitch gears.
Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
FieroMan121

its not
ORIGINAL: katzcratch

IS there a way to know what companys use what pitch?
I think losi is 48..but I cant tell by staring at the thing
really about company more so than chassis type and scale

example a 1/10 nitro will almost always use 32p or a varient of it between the endbell and the slipper clutch where as a 1/10th electric will use 48p. a 1/10th or 1/12th electric pan car is the exception to the rule though as most use 64p while others run 48p for whatever reason be it durability or pinion compatibility with other stuff.

also as mech' said a number of vintage cars of varing scales use 32p like my tamiya buggy, rc10l, traxxas fiero, cat, and sledgehammer. you will also see 32 pitch in a number of toy-grade rigs
Old 05-03-2010, 08:07 PM
OvalRacer99

Just to throw something into this discussion, the term "pitch" on the gears refers to the number of teeth per inch, as in a 48 pitch gear if it was flat would have 48 teeth per inch. With that being said, 32 pitch will never work with 48 pitch.
As far as manufacturers, if it is a 48 pitch it will work with other companies 48 pitch. I use Robinson, Losi and Kimbrough gears and they work together just fine!!