Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Vega 1:8 buggy

Old 06-14-2010, 06:12 AM
Joacim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vega 1:8 buggy

Some movies of the 1:8 buggy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubgu_tA6CGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stYHf7RfYm8

Attached graph from driving on gras and tarmac, Dark Series 40C 5000 LiPo 14,8v. Drive time 25min with some spare, max power 1250watt, becas of motor heat i installed a smaler pinion gear, current is now 75A max instead of 82-85A max, the motor and ESC cant handle the extra power anyway, it ends up in heat so the smaler gear is better.

Recomend that you change your connectors from Deans to 4mm gold bullets instead, other mods i made is Futaba FASST 2,4Ghz and the LiPo uppgrade with smaler gear.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76460.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	85.9 KB
ID:	1452808   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16139.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	1452809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yd83468.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	128.8 KB
ID:	1452810  
Old 06-14-2010, 08:26 AM
bkfamily1
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Vega 1:8 buggy

Joacim,

That is great. Nice videos. Looks like it really screams with the 14.8V setup.

Are you using (2) 2S lipos connected in parallel, or (1) 4S to get the 14.8V?

Did you change any of the ESC settings from stock to use the 14.8V?

Were you originally 14T pinion and 45T spur? What pinion do you have now?

I noticed in the photo you have a cooling fan on the motor now. Any other changes?

How did you get the data for your chart?

Thanks,

Bryan
Old 06-14-2010, 08:41 AM
Joacim

Its the pinion that is used in the 1:8 Truck, think its 12T. If youre running up to 3s LiPo the 14T is ok. The fan is from an old PC, i have the Hobbywing program box so i can make changes to the ESC, but its no use, becas the ESC drops the settings after a few min run anyway (same thing on my friends cars) it jumps back to defualt/standard mode, and it was the same thing with 1:10 scale Hobbywing ESCs i have tryed, and also RC plane Hobbywing ESCs.... the LowVoltage CutOff DO NOT WORK!!! so dont trust it.... it alowes the battery to drop to low, drive with a timer, dont trust the speed controller! you will discharge your Lipos to much and they will take damage. To solve the problem there is just one solution, by a better ESC that is calibrated with better software. For now im using this one, and when its no good anymore, i will uppgrade, probably a CC.

Its 2x hard case TracTech 40C 5000 2s 7,4v LiPos, connected in serie with one wire that has male 4mm gold bullet connectors on. You can use the standars battery box in the car, but use welcro strap to hold them in place. These batteries hold voltage very good, so the run time is 25min with spare, with a powerfull charger its safe to charge them with 5C, takes 15min.

The logger that was used was an Eagle Tree data logger, that records the Amp, Volt, and from that it can display mAh and Power during/ Watt a run.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
bkfamily1

I have been running until the ESC detects low voltage. Maybe that is why I have been slowly losing capacity (down to about 3200 mAh now after 4 cycles) based on what the charger tells me. I was thinking to increase the low voltage cutoff setting in the ESC from the dfault 3.0 to 3.2 or 3.4. But I guess that does no good if the ESC does not hold the programming. I was also thinking of a low voltage alarm.

I am getting like 8 or 9 minute run times with the 3300 7.4V. Does that sound right to you?

Thanks
Old 06-14-2010, 12:54 PM
Joacim

In any case, i would not trust the ESC, you now know that you can run for 9min, so set a timer to 7,5min so its safe and you wont discharge it to much even if you run very hard at some point. Even when the ESC detected the voltage and was trying to cut the motor, its to slow to react fast enough, when LiPos are feeling weak/less power... they are completly empty! and with todays lates gen LiPos like the Dark series 50C, they hold very high voltage during the complete discharge, and when they are empty and drop in Voltage, they do it extremly fast, even very expensive ESCs from top brands have a hard time with this.... so my advice is to use a timer. 8-9min on 3300mAh sounds normal, next step would be a 3s... or a 4s setup

If you at some point change battery voltage... the ESC can sometimes not start at all, in that case the only thing to do is to reset it do defualt/ factory settings and then plug in the battery again.

But i must ad... the brushless systems that Himoto include in there cars.... is in most cases WAY better than other brands. Use them as long as they last, or untill you want more UMPH in the car and uppgrade- first thing is the battery, second the ESC, and last the motor.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:47 PM
bkfamily1

What charger do you use? 5C charge rate seems pretty high. Charging one pack at a time, are you charging at 25A and 185W? My charger will not go that high, but I would love to have one that does!
Old 06-14-2010, 03:04 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great video
Old 06-14-2010, 08:31 PM
sick6stang

We tried a max amps 4s 40c 5000mAh Lipo in my buggy. It only handled half throttle. It flew then it would go SSSSSCCCCCCEEERTCH EEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR EEEEEERRRRRRR!!! and not go anywhere. Ithink the esc needs setup for the 4s lipo. We had no idea how to set it up or change the settings. But it was hauling ass at half throttle.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:48 PM
ehroof

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sent you the esc instructions in an email yesterday bro.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:29 PM
sick6stang

we got it. I just printed it out.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:46 AM
Joacim

If i remeber correct, i disabeld the low volt cut off becas it dident work any good, but i dont know if it holds that setting or not. Dont know if its Hobbywing 80A ESCs in all of Himotos 1:8 cars, mine is version from 09 and hobbywing had issues then, maby there is an uppgraded/ fixed version.

Charger i use is Bantam BC8DX (dual 10A output) and a Robbe power peak (20A 320watt output) these Dark serie LiPos is totally safe to charge at 5C, and you will not notice any loss in cycle life.