RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Traxxas now at Toys R Us? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10183977-traxxas-now-toys-r-us.html)

ThEoNeS911 12-08-2010 05:43 AM

Traxxas now at Toys R Us?

You can buy the Rustler at Toys R Us now... for a ridiculous price.

www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp

It's the brushed (XL-5) version and it's over $100 more expensive than Tower... same thing with the HPIE10's.

LewAshby 12-08-2010 05:47 AM

RE: Traxxas now at Toys R Us?

$100 is reasonable because of all the returns they will be dealing with when something breaks on it in the first day of use.

DaveG55 12-08-2010 06:23 AM

T-R-U has sold hobby grade rc's at this time of year before so that, in itself, is nothing really new. As for the price, T-R-U has never been known as a discount store. Any savy shopper is going to do a bit of price researching before pulling the trigger on a $300+ toy so, IMHO, that's kind of a buyer beware thing that goes for anything.

To me, anything that gets hobby grade rc's out there is good for the hobby. It brings revenues to rc companies, it makes the general public more aware that rc can be much more than a $30 Nikko toy, expands the rc community and will even increase sales at regular hobby stores.
So, yeah, I'm glad to see them selling good/better rc's.

Smiff 24 12-08-2010 06:35 AM

Are they in the stores too or just online ?
If I remember correctly they sold Tamiya's years back.

The_Shark 12-08-2010 07:52 AM

didnt radio shack sell a rc18 knock off real cheap years ago?

i remember when i was young and dumb and made ma and pa spend $150 on a nikko viper, it had a replacible motor, lexan body and decent tires 4wheel independant and did about 20mph. back then i thought that was top stuff, untill a year later i picked up a traxxas bandit and was blown away even by that!
still young and dumb i put a 28 tooth pinion on a stocker motor and wondered why it wasnt any faster:) boy did i have fun with that one.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-08-2010 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

didnt radio shack sell a rc18 knock off real cheap years ago?

i remember when i was young and dumb and made ma and pa spend $150 on a nikko viper, it had a replacible motor, lexan body and decent tires 4wheel independant and did about 20mph. back then i thought that was top stuff, untill a year later i picked up a traxxas bandit and was blown away even by that!
still young and dumb i put a 28 tooth pinion on a stocker motor and wondered why it wasnt any faster:) boy did i have fun with that one.
yeh, it was a megetch sold under the propluse name. then radioshack decided they didnt want to have them anymore and you could get them RTR for $50 for awhile. at that price it was a awsome deal! plus, spare parts and tires were being sold at the stores's cost.
i wish radio shack would try to sell nice rc's again. my local radioshack only sell crap you could get at a walmart or kmart.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-08-2010 08:30 AM

they have been selling the rustler since at least june (noticed it back then, and made jokes about it)

Hell target is selling bootlegged tamiyas for $100

Hobby grade RC's aren't only in hobby shops anymore ;)

Ttam Says Blarg 12-08-2010 09:34 AM

Cool but who cares? No one is going to buy it for that price..

SyCo_VeNoM 12-08-2010 10:25 AM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

nobody on here you mean.

I'm sure people have purchased them without shopping around. There are always people with more money than common sense, who can't be bothered with shopping around ;)

Nitro Racer 18 12-08-2010 01:48 PM

That's a rip off. On Tower Hobbies they're only around $180.[X(]

DaveG55 12-08-2010 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

nobody on here you mean.

I'm sure people have purchased them without shopping around. There are always people with more money than common sense, who can't be bothered with shopping around ;)
Or someone who walks into the store on Dec 24th desperatly needing a Christmas present...
There is after all, as P.T. Barnum is mistakenly quoted, "A sucker born every minute."

R/C10Guy 12-09-2010 06:01 AM

I Remember in the 1980's toys R Us sold the Hornet and Grasshopper. So it does not surprise me that they are selling The Rustler and other RC's and at High prices. They have been doing that for many many years...

cooldriver385 12-09-2010 12:43 PM

Not sure if anyone noticed but for that price you can get the Rustler VXL at a hobby store...

revo_sbs 12-09-2010 07:07 PM

Interesting. I kinda like the idea though. It does do good for the hobby in general. I just don't think I could watch a child talk his father into buying him one without intervening, for the parents sake. Like the Barnum quote "sucker born every minute". I honestly don't think I could buy a brand new rtr anymore anyways. Just too many options out there.

cumquat 12-10-2010 10:13 AM

last year i was at toys-r-us with my mom and i saw the vxl's for something like $450.

Redvanmafia 12-10-2010 11:14 AM

Its not a bad thing, hobby class r/c is now comming to the masses. no more specialty hobby shops.

Malmuerte 12-10-2010 11:22 AM

While I don't think its a bad thing, I would never purchase a hobby grade anything from a big box store.  You will never find help from them.  So I'd rather give my money to a place that will back me and whatever I buy from them.</p>

Redvanmafia 12-10-2010 11:31 AM

Your LHS gives you advice and help?, I thought the days of that where over. my LHS has alot of everything i need but the old mans a retard and only knows part numbers, other then that he know's nothing. i was in there last week and he was telling this guy who was trying to make a custom Rc snowmobile, and the old man told him that he doesnt have a clue what he's doing, and that not to come to the hobby shop looking for help because its a waste of time.

cumquat 12-10-2010 12:43 PM

i stopped going to my once-was favorite lhs because the guys i liked quit or got fired and the owner took over the shop himself, he is not people friendly. the other 2 are ok but the first on i went to (the place i got my first hobby grade) is too far and the newest one (and closest) is hobby town, which means over priced.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-10-2010 03:09 PM

ORIGINAL: cumquat

i stopped going to my once-was favorite lhs because the guys i liked quit or got fired and the owner took over the shop himself, he is not people friendly. the other 2 are ok but the first on i went to (the place i got my first hobby grade) is too far and the newest one (and closest) is hobby town, which means over priced.
same with me
One dude was great at the LHS left, and I haven't been going back as much.
I know he was at odds with the manager for awhile (before the guy was the manager)
I remember someone walking in with a savage and 3 bent integy shocks asking why it happened off a small jump. He said integy was just for a RC you wanted to put parts on and put in a display case. Told him to go home, and slap his stock shocks back on it.
Hell when I got my jammin x1 he told me goto ebay and find the Z-brace, and center cnc mounts for $15 each (and even pulled up ebay to search while there) cause the shop would charge $70 a part.
Guy owned every 1/8th buggy on the market, and would give honest opinions on which he found more durable or handled better.
really miss him.
He would also do quick repairs for free after looking to see if any bosses were around if someone didn't know how to fix it ;)
Also noticed the amount of customers kinda is low too last few times I've been there from when he was there(sure the new crappy layout didn't help that either).