RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Hey new guy here.. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10516345-hey-new-guy-here.html)

Seanhasabuggy 05-12-2011 02:16 PM

Hey new guy here..

Well not new, just new to the forum. Have a question about pull starts. Can you "clock" them so the pull string is in a different spot? Reason i ask is, i have an exceed buggy, had a vx16 motor on it, i upgraded to a vx18 motor, fit perfectly, clutch and mounts and exhuast swapped over no problem. But the pull start string gets wedged between the wing mount and the throttle linkage.

Sean.

Foxy 05-12-2011 11:06 PM

RE: Hey new guy here..

If you are asking if this is a mod that the car manufacturers cater for, then no. However, if you're asking if it can be done, well sure, anything CAN be done. :)

Post a pic of the problem and we'll try to help you think of something. :)

Seanhasabuggy 05-13-2011 03:12 AM

i will once the new pullstart comes lol

TIGER76 05-13-2011 05:14 AM

welcome to RCU m8 plenty of good ideals and advice on here ;)
Like foxy says post up some pics and we will see if we can help out [8D]

Seanhasabuggy 05-13-2011 05:23 AM

thanks! :) the new pull start should be here by next week. *sigh* 3rd tank on the new engine and the cord pulled right out..

DaveG55 05-13-2011 06:19 AM

First, hello and welcome.

Most pull starts I've seen are held on with 3 or 4 screws. Many are able to be turned to bolt up in different positions that are basically 1/4 turn apart. Some are not though due to the screw hole patern or backplate design. So whether or not yours can be turned depends on those things.

Also, pull starts can be dissassembled and repaired. The can be a bit tricky since the spring has to be rewound and the parts are small but it's definatly doable.

To keep the string from pulling out you have to be careful to NOT fully extend it when starting the engine. Only pull the string 2/3 - 3/4 of the way out. Pulling to the stop point will lead to the cord pulling out or something else breaking in the PS

Seanhasabuggy 05-13-2011 06:30 AM

yeah mine has 4 screws and looks to be square. so ill see when the new one comes. oh i didnt pull it all the way, i only go maybe 4-5 inchs of pull. but it didnt retract, so i pulled a little more.. and yeah. lol

and thanks! :)

Seanhasabuggy 05-20-2011 10:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here she is! got the new pull start on, was able to mount it rotated 90 degrees towards the passenger side of the car. out of the way of the throttle linkage :)

*edit* forgot to post a pic of the area i was havin an issue with (put a bigger motor in)
lookin down onto the motor the linkage is on the left, the pull start was getting wedged between the linkage and the wing mount.