RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Bad servo, Can i fix it? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10531812-bad-servo-can-i-fix.html)

bloodpuppy 05-20-2011 04:45 PM

Bad servo, Can i fix it?

Ibought a Hitec HS-645MG for my MGT.
Im not working so i didnt have the money for the 100$ everyone talks about.
Anyway a few minutes after running my truck i start losing control. The servos seem to have a mind of there own and now i cant control them at all, The controller/receiver flash red/green and i cant do anything.
After i unplug the steering servo everything calms down and works fine.
Anything i can do to fix this? Its about 1 mnt old, it worked fine when i first got it.

proanti1 05-20-2011 05:35 PM

RE: Bad servo, Can i fix it?

Have you popped the back plate off to see if there is any moisture in it? There is not much you can do with a malfunctioning servo besides getting it warrantied. Sometimes digital servos cause issues, but yours isn't digital.

moe7404 05-20-2011 06:36 PM

there are cheaper than $100. i think traxxas servo are about $30.-40 i just priced a very fast servo, it was $119. i dont need a fast throttle that bad.

SyCo_VeNoM 05-20-2011 08:13 PM

ORIGINAL: moe7404

there are cheaper than $100. i think traxxas servo are about $30.-40 i just priced a very fast servo, it was $119. i dont need a fast throttle that bad.
traxxas servos are not that good, and IMO would strip gears very fast in the applications 645MG's are used in.

It almost sounds like the RX isn't getting enough power to power the servo. Did you try new batteries?
I doubt the RX would flash if the servo was just bad (none of mine do)
Have you tried hooking the steering servo up to channel 2 and leaving the throttle servo off to test it?

bloodpuppy 05-21-2011 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: moe7404

traxxas servos are not that good, and IMO would strip gears very fast in the applications 645MG's are used in.

It almost sounds like the RX isn't getting enough power to power the servo. Did you try new batteries?
I doubt the RX would flash if the servo was just bad (none of mine do)
Have you tried hooking the steering servo up to channel 2 and leaving the throttle servo off to test it?
No i didnt try that. Iknow the battery pack was fresh thou.
Ill try removing the reverse servo power first, If ti works i can deal with out that one.
If it is a power problem what can i do about it? Im using a 5c Nimh hump pack. Cant reallygo any bigget then thet with out frying anything.

bloodpuppy 05-21-2011 03:23 AM

I had a few free minutes so i tryed it.
Iun-plugged the transmission servo and nothing glitched.
BUT
when i tryed the steering servo it turned 1/2 way one way-stopped then i had a ton of grinding with alot of humming from the servo.
Turned the wheels by hand and still got alot of grinding
So it sounds like i have 2 problems to deal with, Lack of power and a bad servo.

The Mad Modder 05-21-2011 06:16 AM

ORIGINAL: bloodpuppy

I had a few free minutes so i tryed it.
I un-plugged the transmission servo and nothing glitched.
BUT
when i tryed the steering servo it turned 1/2 way one way-stopped then i had a ton of grinding with alot of humming from the servo.
Turned the wheels by hand and still got alot of grinding
So it sounds like i have 2 problems to deal with, Lack of power and a bad servo.

You could either send it in for warranty or repair it yourself.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXVE87&P=ML

Are you using a servo saver? I have used mg645s many times for heavier applications than they were rated for and never had a problem.

bloodpuppy 05-21-2011 10:45 AM

Not working at all anymore. Just a loud hum and the gears arnt working.
Isaid F-it, and went to the LHS and got the 130$ one. Ill turn around and try to fix this one for a back up.

SyCo_VeNoM 05-21-2011 10:55 AM

I said F-it, and went to the LHS and got the 130$ one. Ill turn around and try to fix this one for a back up.

sounds like the gears stripped

The_Shark 05-21-2011 12:41 PM

hobby partz servos are good and very cheap.

bloodpuppy 05-21-2011 04:09 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

Isaid F-it, and went to the LHS and got the 130$ one. Ill turn around and try to fix this one for a back up.

sounds like the gears stripped
I dont see anything stripped. Ihave it apart everything looks good, but once i put it together it freezes up .

The_Shark 05-21-2011 04:18 PM

you could buy the servo gear kit, but if its freaking out, your better off just chucking it.

rambler53 05-21-2011 04:38 PM

http://www.hobbypartz.com/raiden-mic...l-servos-.html

http://www.hobbypartz.com/2xmgmegehisp.html

klx300 05-21-2011 06:33 PM

I just put a post in the driftng forum the other day, with the exact same problem, with the same servo which is about a month and a half old. It wast pushed hard either as it was ran in a TT01 as a steering servo. Ran good for about a month then the same problem pretty much exactly as you described happened to me. I opened mine up and everything still looks new inside, with nothing binding in the gear train. I believe the circuit board has gone on mine but dont know for sure. Havnt decided if I am going to try the warranty or not. Weird that this would happen to both of us at the same time with the same servo.