RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Are RC cars toys? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10752833-rc-cars-toys.html)

MattHiggins 10-07-2011 05:31 AM

Are RC cars toys?

Check out this article and the comments people have left: http://www.rccaraction.com/blog/2011...all-them-toys/

DaveG55 10-07-2011 06:12 AM

RE: Are RC cars toys?

Yes, absolutely!!!!
They can say what they want but they are still toys...
Sophisticated toys certainly but toys none-the-less.

Some men can wear pink...
Some men can call their toys, toys...
Insecurity is a sad, sad thing[:@]

nitrosportsandrunner 10-07-2011 06:30 AM

i like the term "hobby"
it just sounds more grown-up to say its my hobby, and not its my toys.
but yes, they are just expensive toys.

the only reason it does sometimes bug me when people call them toys, is if they are doing so in referance to "toy grade" RC's.
I recognize that my RC's are toys, but they are not the lame crap you can buy at walmart. they are well made, technical, fast, powerful, detailed RC's that cost real money, take time to build and maintain.

Thats my rant:D

kaycerc 10-07-2011 06:40 AM

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/75_75.gif<br type="_moz" />

Karontu 10-07-2011 07:01 AM

i call my "hobby grade" RCs toys all the time, i will gladly stand up and say yeah, i prefer to play with toys then drop thousands into a full scale<div>
</div><div>then i usually follow up with "but look at what this toy can do :O!!!!"</div>

proanti1 10-07-2011 07:37 AM

Please stop spamming Mr. Higgins.

Mufasa_719 10-07-2011 08:23 AM

To some degree they are "toys" But when its a "hobby" doesen't that take the "toy" out of it?

kaycerc 10-07-2011 08:32 AM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

+1
<br type="_moz" />

MattHiggins 10-07-2011 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: kaycerc

+1
<br type=''_moz'' />
Done deal. I'm a little confused since you participated in the thread and then agreed to with the poster who asked me to stop posting threads like this.

Anyway, fair is fair, if people are bothered by a thread like this, you can count on it being the last. I don't want to take away from this community.

lez1troubles 10-08-2011 04:08 AM

My Ducati 996 is a toy, my KTM SX525 is a toy, my KYOSHO buggies are toyz, wheres the problem???

1QwkSport2.5r 10-08-2011 04:52 AM

When I think "toys" I think "can Jimmy come out and play today". I'm much too old to ask a question line that and as such I personally do not look at "hobby-grade" rc anything as a toy. I see cars as no different as heli's or airplanes. I dare someone to ask a veteran RC pilot if his planes or Heli's are "toys"... I think you'd at the very least get a dirty look or two.

If I put several hours of disassembling, cleaning, and reassembling a car... I dont see that as playing with a toy. Toys are legos, video games, and Monopoly.

Besides... How many "toys" can you go race and win money or gear with? Lets see a lego car do that!

Just my 2 cents.

AmishWarlord 10-08-2011 05:09 AM

"When I think "toys" I think "can Jimmy come out and play today". "

LOL

Mark, "Hey James, you bringing your jet ski out to the lake today?"

James, "Um let me see, Honey I'm taking the jet ski out for a bit".

Honey, "Are you serious? Didn't we agree that you put up that new back door and paint the nursery this weekend? Fine, go have a good time I don't care".

James, "Sorry Mark, maybe next week".

1QwkSport2.5r 10-08-2011 05:12 AM

ORIGINAL: AmishWarlord

''When I think ''toys'' I think ''can Jimmy come out and play today''. ''

LOL

Mark, ''Hey James, you bringing your jet ski out to the lake today?''

James, ''Um let me see, Honey I'm taking the jet ski out for a bit''.

Honey, ''Are you serious? Didn't we agree that you put up that new back door and paint the nursery this weekend? Fine, go have a good time I don't care''.

James, ''Sorry Mark, maybe next week''.

<snicker> Oh, the "Honey-Do" lists.... l'est we forget....

Is that a K&B Sportster in your avatar? Looks like a .65 with RNV......

AmishWarlord 10-08-2011 05:23 AM

Yes it is, I got it off eBay a few weeks ago. Planing to design a plane around it.

1QwkSport2.5r 10-08-2011 05:31 AM

Yes it is, I got it off eBay a few weeks ago. Planing to design a plane around it.
Now that thing is not a toy. I run a 13x6apc on mine at just over 10k using 5% nitro/20%castor... The break-in is almost painful to listen to... (and long.)

It will pull a tree stump, though... I swear!

kaycerc 10-08-2011 06:40 AM

ORIGINAL: MattHiggins

+1
<br type="" />
Done deal. I'm a little confused since you participated in the thread and then agreed to with the poster who asked me to stop posting threads like this.

Anyway, fair is fair, if people are bothered by a thread like this, you can count on it being the last. I don't want to take away from this community.
I don't know why you're getting your feelings hurt so easily. You wrote a cheesy, little, column for your magazine, that you put little time or imagination into, basically requiring readers to make more of a contribution than yourself - then you've posted it on dozens of RC forums all over the 'Net (like a shameless plug), and you've received about the same response here that you've received elsewhere. If you're going to be that defensive, it's not going to garner you extra readers or friends. My suggestion would be to try harder, next time, while coming to grips with the fact that people aren't going to agree with what you do all the time - especially since the quality and material covered in your magazine has taken it in recent years from being the NYTimes of RCing to now being the BFE Daily. Get better at what you're supposed to be doing, your magazine, and maybe endeavors such as this will be better received.....in my humble opinion.
<br type="_moz" />

rcslsafut 10-08-2011 07:28 AM

r/c cars/trucks/planes and boats= toys
four wheelers ,dirt bikes and snowmobiles = toys
sandrails ,boats ,r/v's =toys
very open term "TOYS"
can be used to describe several things !!!!

AmishWarlord 10-08-2011 07:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Toys!

Toy, an object who's purpose is to entertain or amuse. A toy produces no valuable work and that has a negative fiscal impact on the owner.

Example,

Toy Hammer. Entertains a small child who uses it to hit other toys with little to no damage done despite work put into hammering.
Real Hammer. Has very little entertainment value but produces a positive value of work done and financial benefit to the owner.

The Mad Modder 10-08-2011 08:11 AM

Toys!

Toy, an object who's purpose is to entertain or amuse. A toy produces no valuable work and that has a negative fiscal impact on the owner.

Example,

Toy Hammer. Entertains a small child who uses it to hit other toys with little to no damage done despite work put into hammering.
Real Hammer. Has very little entertainment value but produces a positive value of work done and financial benefit to the owner.

I beg to differ. :D Especially when it's a nice big one.

MattHiggins 10-08-2011 08:13 AM

KC, my feelings aren't hurt and I'm not insulted. I do feel I have the right to respond. I have not posted on dozens of forums. I posted on two. Dozens is a lie. Dozens of people, yourself included, have participated. If you think my article is "cheesy" that is OK with me. My point was that if my post wasn't adding to the community, I'd gladly not post similar threads. No one said my feelings were hurt. That whole notion seems silly. Even when you're trying your hardest to insult me, it is meaningless.

The Mad Modder 10-08-2011 08:24 AM

You must realize that on any public forum you may come across trolls and other people who don't agree with you. There are a lot of people online who can't express their opinions without being a dick.

Personally, I think it's a fair question. When people spend loads of money on their RC cars and trucks to make them look or perform better, they can get quite touchy about them. Myself, I think that the word "toy" is very subjective and can be used to describe many things depending on how they're used.

AmishWarlord 10-08-2011 08:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Real Hammer. Has very little entertainment value

ORIGINAL: The Mad Modder

I beg to differ. :D Especially when it's a nice big one.

Gallagher Is that you?

LOL :)

twiggums 10-08-2011 08:39 AM

Judging by the number of people who have given thoughtful responses versus the number who've complained, I'd say a majority don't mind these threads. I myself have no problem with them and if i dont like them it's as simple as not clicking it.

Back on topic. I consider all my RC stuff toys, that's what they are. Definitely a potential to cause serious injury but still toys.

kaycerc 10-08-2011 09:03 AM

KC, my feelings aren't hurt and I'm not insulted. I do feel I have the right to respond. I have not posted on dozens of forums. I posted on two. Dozens is a lie. Dozens of people, yourself included, have participated. If you think my article is "cheesy" that is OK with me. My point was that if my post wasn't adding to the community, I'd gladly not post similar threads. No one said my feelings were hurt. That whole notion seems silly. Even when you're trying your hardest to insult me, it is meaningless.
Yes, you have the right to respond - just as others have the right to respond.OK, I exxagerated - but the point being that you flipped into attack mode when someone responded similarly on that other forum. If your feelings weren't hurt, then why even bother responding? Let it go.... Ultimately your posting it in multiple forums seemed to be to either serve as some sort of shameless plug so as to pimp your magazine, or to stir the pot and get some infighting going amongst those that feel the need to defend their hobby .....End of the day, "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen." You should know how forums work? You ask for opinions, you're going to get them - good and bad.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/lol.gif
<br type="_moz" />

MattHiggins 10-08-2011 09:29 AM

KC, my feelings aren't hurt and I'm not insulted. I do feel I have the right to respond. I have not posted on dozens of forums. I posted on two. Dozens is a lie. Dozens of people, yourself included, have participated. If you think my article is ''cheesy'' that is OK with me. My point was that if my post wasn't adding to the community, I'd gladly not post similar threads. No one said my feelings were hurt. That whole notion seems silly. Even when you're trying your hardest to insult me, it is meaningless.
Yes, you have the right to respond - just as others have the right to respond. OK, I exxagerated - but the point being that you flipped into attack mode when someone responded similarly on that other forum. If your feelings weren't hurt, then why even bother responding? Let it go.... Ultimately your posting it in multiple forums seemed to be to either serve as some sort of shameless plug so as to pimp your magazine, or to stir the pot and get some infighting going amongst those that feel the need to defend their hobby .....End of the day, ''if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.'' You should know how forums work? You ask for opinions, you're going to get them - good and bad. [img][/img]
<br type=''_moz'' />
I'm in attack mode? Really? Sounds like you exaggerated again. Responding doesn't mean anyone's feelings are hurt. You responded twice, but I don't think (and hope) your feelings aren't hurt. As others pointed out, I do believe you were trolling, and that's OK. I know a lot of people see that as good ol' harmless fun on forums.

As others have said...back on topic. My take on the "toy or not a toy" subject is that the toy label only hurts when it allows someone to underestimate the hobby and misunderstand the quality that real hobby-grade RC vehicles offer.