RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Custom Made RC Bodies (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/10838359-custom-made-rc-bodies.html)

narwalrus 12-01-2011 12:44 PM

Custom Made RC Bodies

I've been thinking of trying to start making lexan RC bodies. I have a few different questions and would like to get feedback.
Sculpting: I would have to sculpt the bodies myself. I was thinking to charge $100-$150 to have a body custom sculpted. I could of course reuse them, but perhaps the price could vary by potential reuse and detail of the body?
Bodies: What kind of bodies would you want? I mainly am thinking 190/200mm onroad, but would you be interested in having others made?
Decals: Would you care if decals are included or not?
Painting: Would you want to be able to purchase bodies pre painted/pre decaled?
Thats all, I'd love to have some feedback! Thank you!

SyCo_VeNoM 12-01-2011 12:56 PM

RE: Custom Made RC Bodies

ORIGINAL: TheDriftingNarwhal

I've been thinking of trying to start making lexan RC bodies. I have a few different questions and would like to get feedback.
Sculpting: I would have to sculpt the bodies myself. I was thinking to charge $100-$150 to have a body custom sculpted. I could of course reuse them, but perhaps the price could vary by potential reuse and detail of the body?
Bodies: What kind of bodies would you want? I mainly am thinking 190/200mm onroad, but would you be interested in having others made?

1984 trans-am, 69 charger like from the dukes of hazard(not like HPI's with the damn motor coming out the hood), Delorean
Decals meh rarely use em
Painting prefer to paint on own

One thing you might want to do is do a over spray guard like on the bodies the companies sell, it would be pretty simple seeing you would only have to put a thick coat of liquid mask on the side not intended to be painted

narwalrus 12-01-2011 02:08 PM

Would you want to pay for each of those bodies to be custom made, or just want them in general?
Perhaps the overspray could be done with plastic wrap + heat. Liquid mask would work just more expensive.

SyCo_VeNoM 12-01-2011 02:25 PM

just a general idea I've seen people want the general lee charger quite a few times on this site, and ask if anyone makes a body.

Personally I don't go expensive bodies with the way I destroy them :D

narwalrus 12-01-2011 02:52 PM

Also, I wouldn't really be able to license bodies, so no emblems (but no stupid china decals :P) - they would just have to be "inspired by ___". Thoughts?
Rather than having expensive sculpting, what about cheaper sculpting but bodies like $30 rather than $15 or so?

FahrtAutoRC 12-01-2011 04:03 PM

I want a Ford Ranger body (late 90's) for SCT's but nobody makes one. I don't have the cash to spend right now, just a thought!

1QwkSport2.5r 12-01-2011 05:28 PM

The better and cheaper way to do it would be make a master mold (which would need to be "carved/sculpted") and use a vacuum forming table. I personally would never be able to afford spending $100+ on a custom body. If I were to do a custom body, I would make it out of fiberglass. I have a block of foam I started carving for this exact purpose, a Chevrolet S-10.

Great idea, but I think the price tag you listed is too high for the general public to come flocking to you for a body. Its cheaper to spend the $30 and buy one off the shelf and paint it or have it painted, IMO.

Not bashing, just being realistic.

narwalrus 12-01-2011 08:10 PM

Nononono, I don't mean that it would be per body. That would be the price if someone were to want for a mold to be sculpted, and then $30 for each lexan body vacuum formed using the mold.

nitrosportsandrunner 12-01-2011 09:04 PM

there are many "crawler" scaler type bodies that could be made.

why proline has offered many nice ones, many trucks are still missing!

i love the mid 80's shortbox dodge ram, but have never seen a lexan body of one.

there are very few volvo bodies. specifically the 740 series. 740 TIC would be cool for my onroad car.

I also cant find a 91 civic HB. only found the later EF body style(more rounded one from 92 on)

Then there is the 2003-2006 scion XB(i own one) HPI makes the swift with the newer body style XB, but the older boxy one is cooler.

Have you considered just making motors? Its hare to find scale looking motors. with lexan, could you mold a v8 that could be put under the hood of an axial SCX? That would be really awsome. I would pay $15 for a decent looking motor that was the right size!!!

same with intakes, that could be mounted onto the hood of a car body. large throttle bodies ect.

maybe even do the same as far as drivers. the scale crawler guys like to have a motor and a driver in the truck. both can be hard to find that look the right size!

I hope you will consider the scale motor idea. I think that could really work, and be a good seller. not much lexan needed, cheap to ship, easy to sell on ebay!

EDIT: even better than just the motor, would be a whole scale engine bay with motor. all from 1 piece of lexan. with wheel wells and all. make it for the SCX crawlers. i bet it could be done in a way that some light trimming would make it fit nearly any truck body. then the buyer could paint up the engine bay as he likes and have a wicked nice scale looking motor!!!

narwalrus 12-01-2011 09:24 PM

I would definitely try :D

mrbigg 12-04-2011 04:39 PM

1958 Plymouth Fury. Christine baby!

nitrosportsandrunner 12-04-2011 05:00 PM

I would definitely try :D

if you can manage the engine bay idea....then PLEASE put them for sale on the RCU market place. Ill buy one for certain!

lithiumx152 12-04-2011 05:03 PM

I would like a 1993 ford ranger xlt body with the extended cab edition [ which is the extra small ass back seats in the truck]

lithiumx152 12-04-2011 05:04 PM

^^^^^^ mainly because thats the type of truck i drive , lol , which only goes 85mph , bummer huh

nitrosportsandrunner 12-04-2011 05:37 PM

ORIGINAL: lithiumx152

^^^^^^ mainly because thats the type of truck i drive , lol , which only goes 85mph , bummer huh
my 89 "danger ranger" 2wd extended cab can still hit 98mph:)

narwalrus 12-04-2011 06:15 PM

Okay well I feel like i have a pretty good idea for what people want. Would anyone consider $60 for the initial molding + 1 body and then $20 for every body made using the mold after that?
I like the idea of the engines and other such parts as they are quite hard to come by. How about body kits or bodies with kits on them? A spoon S2000 or Veilside RX7 could be nice.

kistner 12-04-2011 09:01 PM

until we see your 'first run' I am nut sure anyone will want to shell out that first $60. $20 per body is a decent price, but again, it'll stink to be the guy that has to pay $60 that first time.

narwalrus 12-04-2011 09:15 PM

Yeah, I had though about that a bit. I think it depends on the use value of the body. There arent that many people that want an RC Yugo, but maybe quite a few who would want a Veilside RX7. Perhaps If I implemented a polling system for popular request?

kistner 12-04-2011 09:17 PM

yugo rc body??? it's like you read my mind, lol

On2_n_On4 12-04-2011 10:18 PM

first... please don't take this the wrong way, but I have seen so many threads like this, come and go... that I really see no hope! lol
people want different bodies, no doubt ... "IF you build them... they will come"

I know you are only talking about 1:10 scale... but how about 1:8? is a PITA to find bodies for all GT cars, and I'm sure you will get buyers IF you make them... @ the right price!

now, if you can make this for the Kyosho Inferno GT2 wheelbase,, I will buy a few of them.

Time attack Evo VIII ...or Evo VIII street version.
http://myautoobsession.files.wordpre...ttack-evo3.jpg

Snook Man 12-05-2011 06:00 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">How about people make their own mold, send it to you and you vacuum form it for a fee depending on the size???</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt">

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3"> </font></p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I would have a few ready to send your way in short time.</font></p>

narwalrus 12-06-2011 02:14 PM

I would consider making 1/8th bodies as well as using others molds. I would also be interested in making 1/8 rally bodies for the SCTs.

MagmaCrafter 03-05-2015 07:28 PM

I kinda hope your still doing this. I do not know if i will do this but for my Ecx torment i want a replica body (Not Decaled or Painted) Vaccum formed of the Lexus GX450. Im going to make it look like the shield vehicle. I might post pictures another time.

Bmsktm85 09-18-2016 09:57 AM

If ur still doing this I'll take a 89 dodge 1st gen truck long bed with a full scale bed

Lowandslow67 02-16-2017 07:41 PM

Yea if your still doing this I want in. 1967 Lincoln continental four door hard top with suicide doors. Let me know I would pay a lot for that.