RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Traxxas RTR 1/8 NRHA Funny Car Race Replica (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11022181-traxxas-rtr-1-8-nrha-funny-car-race-replica.html)

DanMN 04-07-2012 07:47 AM

RE: Traxxas RTR 1/8 NRHA Funny Car Race Replica

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: The Collector1

ORIGINAL: doug702

thanks for the link, someone previously said as long as john Force is not involved that would be cool. sorry dude force has a car coming out

Now everyone should know if your going to make replica drag cars your going to have the Legend among them...........
You mean Don Garlits?
Gotta agree on this. Big Daddy was and still is the king! I like Don Prudhomme too. Who's this Force guy?

SyCo_VeNoM 04-07-2012 08:12 AM

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Um, you're comparing an EZ Run to a Castle? The failure rate of these Chinese electronics is FAR higher than that of established manufacturers. Just looking through the forums, you see 'my $70 hobbywing burned up' posted about once a week. Performance? Yeah, you can buy a big ass Feigao motor and pair it with an 80 amp HK esc, but the chance of it burning up is a lot higher.

to be fair they say hobbywing but when you look at their ESC it says hobbyking on it, and is not a HW ESC. Seen it fairly often here.
Most the Hobby wings I seen fry are from people say using the 35A esc in a truck that should have a 65-120A esc, or they gear it to the moon [&:]

VS CC's liking to blow cause CC is too cheap to put a cap pack on their ESC's (they charge $20 extra...) where HW's have it built in. Some of their ESC's also seem to have high failure rates for BEC's.
Look at all the failure rates of CC's esc's on the savage flux XS [&:]

Only legit complaint I can say on HW which is warranted is how on the EZ-run ESC's 65A and under is how the fan is hooked straight to the battery, and not the BEC so the fan frys on 3S. Its a simple 2 min fix of just cutting the fan wires, and soldering to the BEC but still wish it was done by default.

For the record I have a MM ESC so before ppl say I don't own one to bash it ;)

proanti1 04-07-2012 08:13 AM

ORIGINAL: srt10

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Taz_Hobbies

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Yea I wouldnt spend much more than 200 on the car. Especially when I can have the RJ Speed for 99 dollars..
Isn't that sort of trying compare apples & oranges?

RJ speed is a proven Funny car, sure its a kit, but big deal. fact is the RJ is probably a better car, and you can make it go like crazy for about $150 in electronics. TRAXXAS is ripping off people, stupid people nonetheless.

plus the RJ is made in the US of A not in China or Taiwan where the cost of labor is FAR less.
Have you seen what the chassis looks like?

It's a bit more complex than an RJ Speed car. It will also come with TQi and the new Traxxas branded Castle brushless system. Just adding those two things to an RJ Speed kit would bring the cost up near what the Traxxas car runs.

Yeah, you can throw some cheap HK electronics on an RJ speed chassis and not spend more than $200, but it's still not even close to the same thing. Just look at that chassis, it looks fantastic!
yeah baby!
nothing like paying 2 and 3 times the price for made in china! [:'(]
some of those so called cheap HK electronics that many want to bring up, are proven to beat out higher priced electronics in price and performance[:-]
Um, you're comparing an EZ Run to a Castle? The failure rate of these Chinese electronics is FAR higher than that of established manufacturers. Just looking through the forums, you see 'my $70 hobbywing burned up' posted about once a week. Performance? Yeah, you can buy a big ass Feigao motor and pair it with an 80 amp HK esc, but the chance of it burning up is a lot higher.

Besides, I was just making the point that the Traxxas radio system, and the brushless esc/motor cost quite a bit by themselves. Anyone buying just these things on a regular basis (a lot of people do) would find this car a pretty good deal.

LOL
wow, looks like you should look around..
the failure rate of Castle esc are very very high!!
and for what they cost, many have moved over to other esc that are on the market..
many FE racers are now using other esc in our Fast Electic race boats... not a thought, but a real fact. to many failures out on the lakes ( one of the most reliable is the Turnigy/Seaking 180 and a big favorite and only 70bucks )
and I will say it agan.. the castle/traxxas motors are made down the street from other motor companies!
lots of things are made in china, put a traxxas sticker on it, and the costs go up 200%!
Haha, you're crazy dude.

You're not understanding the point I am trying to make.

The motor and ESC that come with that Traxxas car have a high retail price, regardless or quality. The radio is also expensive, regardless of quality. Those two things added together will nearly equal the price of the entire RTR package. I posted in response to someone commenting on the quality of chassis. Remove the electronics from the Traxxas chassis and it would run about the same price as one of the carbon drag cars.

Some castle motors are made by NEU China (not cheap), but not all of them. We're just talking about the motors anyways, the cheapest part to manufacture. Their ESCs are manufactured in Kansas, USA.

You do realize there are different production tiers right?

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-07-2012 08:16 AM

The MMP, MMM, and old MM are made in KS, however, the Sidewinder es heche en Mexico.

srt10 04-07-2012 08:37 AM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

to be fair they say hobbywing but when you look at their ESC it says hobbyking on it, and is not a HW ESC. Seen it fairly often here.
Most the Hobby wings I seen fry are from people say using the 35A esc in a truck that should have a 65-120A esc, or they gear it to the moon [&:]

VS CC's liking to blow cause CC is too cheap to put a cap pack on their ESC's (they charge $20 extra...) where HW's have it built in. Some of their ESC's also seem to have high failure rates for BEC's.
Look at all the failure rates of CC's esc's on the savage flux XS [&:]

Only legit complaint I can say on HW which is warranted is how on the EZ-run ESC's 65A and under is how the fan is hooked straight to the battery, and not the BEC so the fan frys on 3S. Its a simple 2 min fix of just cutting the fan wires, and soldering to the BEC but still wish it was done by default.

For the record I have a MM ESC so before ppl say I don't own one to bash it ;)
Forgotten about the hpi stuff that keeps blowin..

Phoenix XB Racer 04-07-2012 09:39 AM

Didn't the 1st production run of Savage XS have a problem with the ESC frying?

srt10 04-07-2012 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Phoenix XB Racer

not sure if it was corrected or not?
the reason I did not buy a Savage XS after selling my Merv
I do like the kit version! :D

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-07-2012 09:55 AM

All Sidewinders blow up when introduced to a 4 pole motor.

srt10 04-07-2012 10:22 AM

Why do you think that is??
thanks

phmaximus 04-07-2012 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Why do the people who don't like Traxxas' new drag car keep posting on this thread. We get it, you don't like it now move along. I think this is hands down the best thing that ever happened to RC. I can't wait.
this is a free open forum..
everyone has a right to post ;)
My thoughts exactly, How are we ment to discuss a product with out seeing people's opinions. Or does he maby want to only hear from people that like it and doesn't care for people opinions that dislike it for genuine reasons.

phmaximus 04-07-2012 02:53 PM

IMO my HobbyWing ESC are reliable...

Ive never seen or heard of from correct usage....
Ive seen lots of complaints about the castle ESC.... dont know how many are genuine tho...
I know some of the Baja 6tb guys have had a bad run with the first & second gen mamba XL's

srt10 04-07-2012 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

Why do the people who don't like Traxxas' new drag car keep posting on this thread. We get it, you don't like it now move along. I think this is hands down the best thing that ever happened to RC. I can't wait.
this is a free open forum..
everyone has a right to post ;)
My thoughts exactly, How are we ment to discuss a product with out seeing people's opinions. Or does he maby want to only hear from people that like it and doesn't care for people opinions that dislike it for genuine reasons.

Kinda reminds me of the traxxas forums..
say anything not 110% positive and get banned for life! [:'(]

srt10 04-07-2012 03:45 PM

IMO my HobbyWing ESC are reliable...

Ive never seen or heard of from correct usage....
Ive seen lots of complaints about the castle ESC.... dont know how many are genuine tho...
I know some of the Baja 6tb guys have had a bad run with the first & second gen mamba XL's
I've seen lots of those Blue escs at the races in many Truggies and Buggies, and not one of the racers had any complaints only praises and they commented that they ran cooler and more solid than the castle esc they replaced..
also forgot about those big xl esc that gave up the magic smoke :D

and another note, all castle motors are made in china.. Steve does not make one of them in KS
also from what I know the blue traxxas/castle motor is a castle design sold to traxxas and traxxas has them made in china or taiwan...

TheKennyKiller 04-07-2012 04:57 PM

srt10 04-07-2012 05:21 PM

Wow, hung with a new rope?
Isn't that smart?... not!

Some just have no clue what others are posting or saying cuz there to busy trying to talk rude to members and not about the thread topic... DUH!

TheKennyKiller 04-07-2012 06:06 PM

nitrosportsandrunner 04-07-2012 06:24 PM

my 2 cents:
the models, while being fairly well thought out (the 3 stage on remote is cool) will cost to much for the amount of fun.

For there to be any fun in a drag car there should be more to it than just hitting the button at the right time.

Drag racing would only be fun to me if car setup/gearing/tire choice were all factors.

However, I can see the timing light system being more of a seller. Depends on the price. If its under $100 then Id be tempted to get one. Id race whatever car/truck I had against my buddies with the lights. I do wish tho that there was a readout on the lights system itself that showed trap speed. Not everyone owns a @#%$#% iphone or ipod.

These funny cars and the XO-1 are just traxxas flexing their muscle. They know full well that neither will be big-volume sellers. They just want to keep people talking about their stuff.....and that part seems to be working:)

The_Shark 04-07-2012 08:22 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

my 2 cents:
the models, while being fairly well thought out (the 3 stage on remote is cool) will cost to much for the amount of fun.

For there to be any fun in a drag car there should be more to it than just hitting the button at the right time.

Drag racing would only be fun to me if car setup/gearing/tire choice were all factors.

However, I can see the timing light system being more of a seller. Depends on the price. If its under $100 then Id be tempted to get one. Id race whatever car/truck I had against my buddies with the lights. I do wish tho that there was a readout on the lights system itself that showed trap speed. Not everyone owns a @#%$#% iphone or ipod.

These funny cars and the XO-1 are just traxxas flexing their muscle. They know full well that neither will be big-volume sellers. They just want to keep people talking about their stuff.....and that part seems to be working:)
well, they need to stop looking at themselves in the mirror and get back on track to make some models that are actually a threat performance wise to other companies and actually make some cars in the sub $200 range that are worth while.

phmaximus 04-07-2012 09:20 PM

Yes its very scale looking but will it be fast????

So it should be able to beat 90% of the other stock traxxas vehicles....

One would assume it should be faster than a tec-4???? traxxas 2nd fastest RTR & 2nd fastest accelerating vehicle. sorry brushless revo guys.

Dont see it beating the X-01 in a drag.... but u never know

phmaximus 04-07-2012 09:30 PM

Wow, hung with a new rope?
Isn't that smart?... not!

Some just have no clue what others are posting or saying cuz there to busy trying to talk rude to members and not about the thread topic... DUH!
My grandfather used to say ''Some people would complain if they were being hung with a new rope'' and he was a very smart man. Sorry if I was being rude or offensive but rather then trying to start a flame war with me perhaps you should report my posts if that's the way you feel. I think you're funny, it's so cute when people get their knickers in a knot over RC cars. Coo chi coo chi coo, who's a big boy, you are, yes you are. :)
srt10 Honestly m8, dont even bother with this guy. he has some serious problems. Ive tryed debating things with him before & like he calls it, it just ends up in a "flame" war, As u can see by the last comment on his post. U should see some of the pathetic PM ive recived from him, or even check out his comment history, but be carefull he will call it stalking and dislike all your videos on youtube... I wish there was a way to block some members on this forum. I dont even bother reading his PM's or posts anymore. I call it verbal garbage. My tip for people like this, dont fight back, even if u are right they wont ever acknowledge it. they just do not have capacity to understand and interpret other peoples oppinions and likes/dislikes.

TheKennyKiller 04-07-2012 10:04 PM

phmaximus 04-07-2012 10:26 PM

^
Blah Blah Blah who cares, obsessive compulsive liar. I dont even bother reading his posts.... who does?

Hey guys found some new Vids on the drag car... looking good...
Dont think I will be buying one just yet... would rather spend the cash on some tyres for my real car & do some stauncher burnouts....
Or i could get a drop tank 40l cell for that... hummmm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tywkM1vJUTo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkmg60gpKE0[/youtube]

Hows a while back i was going to make my own traxxas drag car... but couldent be bothered finishing it... Still got it someware,packed away
it was a traxxas rustler rear gearbox mount & a cut down Hyper 7 chassis with tamiya knuckles & hacksaw balde suspension lol
Was thinking a rustler VXL gearbox with bandit suspension arms and some big ass revo tyres & touring car wheels up front
http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/...020/134200.jpg

hemiflyer1 04-08-2012 06:03 AM

WOW......that was good!  And I thought the airplane guys were bad. I don't know anything about rc cars, but do know drag racing, and that car is cool. But,  I'm a mopar guy and the jegs pro-stocker( dodge)  would be my choice. $500.?  Well, stay away from the $50.00 food tabs for about a month and there you go.

silvermansteve 04-08-2012 07:00 AM

if i decide to get another rc i'll only use twice, i'll buy one of those tamiya semi kits, not this dragster. as for "traxxas sucks," i don't know. i seem to reach for one of them when i go to run something. best thing i ever did was get a jato. last one i'd ever give up.

proanti1 04-08-2012 08:31 AM

thanks
Because the Sidewinder is not designed for a 4 pole motor, it can't handle the current. A lot of older brushless ESCs cant handle 4 pole motors.

It's almost like you're grasping at straws here.

tommygun32 04-08-2012 09:41 AM

Hmmmm....those rear tires a ballooning quite a bit in the slow mo on that video. If you look closely, there's actually very little rubber contacting the asphalt at that point.

^
Blah Blah Blah who cares, obsessive compulsive liar. I dont even bother reading his posts.... who does?

Hey guys found some new Vids on the drag car... looking good...
Dont think I will be buying one just yet... would rather spend the cash on some tyres for my real car & do some stauncher burnouts....
Or i could get a drop tank 40l cell for that... hummmm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tywkM1vJUTo[/youtube]
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkmg60gpKE0[/youtube]

Hows a while back i was going to make my own traxxas drag car... but couldent be bothered finishing it... Still got it someware,packed away
it was a traxxas rustler rear gearbox mount & a cut down Hyper 7 chassis with tamiya knuckles & hacksaw balde suspension lol
Was thinking a rustler VXL gearbox with bandit suspension arms and some big ass revo tyres & touring car wheels up front
http://media10.dropshots.com/photos/...020/134200.jpg

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-08-2012 11:37 AM

thanks
Because to a speed control, a 3800kv 4 pole motor is a 7600kv 2 pole motor. The Sidewinder was never paired with the 6900 or 7700kv CM36 because it can't handle the RPMs these motors reach...why they chose to pair the 3800, 4600, and 5700 with the Sidewinder is beyond ThunderbirdJunkie.

The_Shark 04-08-2012 04:28 PM

i run a 4400kv 6pole out-runner that is able to chow down on 600watts and it takes up as much room as a 380.

if i ever build another drag car, that's the setup im doing! over-driven to the moon!

TheKennyKiller 04-09-2012 03:43 PM

cumminspower5.9 04-16-2012 06:20 AM

So I took a trip to the traxxas site to look at this. How much are rear tires going to be for this thing? it looks like a cool car, but i just can't see getting a car, and only being able to run it on a "flat" surface every 75ft, and do a u-turn and do it all over again.

ThunderbirdJunkie 04-16-2012 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

So I took a trip to the traxxas site to look at this. How much are rear tires going to be for this thing? it looks like a cool car, but i just can't see getting a car, and only being able to run it on a ''flat'' surface every 75ft, and do a u-turn and do it all over again.
Then it isn't for you[&:]

Traxxas Fanboy 04-16-2012 10:01 PM

So I took a trip to the traxxas site to look at this. How much are rear tires going to be for this thing? it looks like a cool car, but i just can't see getting a car, and only being able to run it on a ''flat'' surface every 75ft, and do a u-turn and do it all over again.
Good observation[&:]

cumminspower5.9 04-17-2012 04:01 AM

Hey "traxxas fanboy". Obviously you've got a hard on with Traxxas. Wanna post more sensible replies at one point other than being a smart a** and typing randomly? maybe you should visit the savage forum, im sure they will take care of you there.

cumminspower5.9 04-17-2012 04:05 AM

Well i know it definitely isn't. It is a pretty neat looking car, dont get me wrong. but i myself do'nt find it to be as practical as others do. I was just curious of the cost of the tires since im sure they are licensed and all that good stuff.

Traxxas Fanboy 04-17-2012 05:19 AM

Hey ''traxxas fanboy''. Obviously you've got a hard on with Traxxas. Wanna post more sensible replies at one point other than being a smart a** and typing randomly? maybe you should visit the savage forum, im sure they will take care of you there.
Sorry [&o]

BrentP 05-02-2012 07:54 PM

lol I see the same thing with foamie warbirds with tbe bickering, been on both sides of the fence.......it just seems to be more a sign of the times than anything. I thinj this f/c is very cool and being a plane / boat guy with a desire to get a 1/4 miler one day this appeals to me as does the xmas tree. I don't disagree it may not be as fun for long and a little pricey but never say never.......maybe if all the guys that think it's crap don't buy it the price will come down.

narwalrus 05-02-2012 09:40 PM

The aim of drag racing is shifting or building up a car, otherwise there is no competition, and this has neither. Speed is repetitive and boring after a while. I don't get it.

The_Shark 05-02-2012 11:07 PM

Some of my favorite R/c moments happen at 30mph, speed is over-rated, I DO want my on-road to be able to do 60mph, but i don't usually go back and fourth at that speed, and i want my off-road to do at least 40mph, but i usually bash around at 25-30mph.

actually my next rig will be a drift car, completely different spectrum, fun at 10-25 mph. i hate real life drifting, i think its lame, but for r/c it looks pretty dang sweet.

scottman20006 05-05-2012 07:46 AM

To all of you idiots that are bashing this car and bashing Rc Drag Racing,dont understand RC drag racing.i have said it on other forums,and ill say it here, all you rustler freaks that your truck is soooo fast,anybody can take a savage or rustler and go to a big ass parking lot and make speed runs with no bounderies..pretty simple guys,any of you that are complaining is easy and boring,here is a little test for you, take your fast ass savages,or rustlers..go tothat bigass parking lot but take a can of spray paint... Now take that paint and draw two lines about 14ft apart,and about 150 ft long.. now sit down your rustler or your savage.then all at once Mash the throttle full and dont let up and see if you can keep it between the lines without crosiing over them..Also instead of all you guys that make these cars go 90mph..try gearing them alittle lower,so they come off the line alot harder..then lets see you guys brag that RC Drag RACING IS EASY!!!!!!!Because i will bet money on it you guys wont be able to keep it between the lines at least for your first 10 runs.RC drag racing is just as involved in setup,suspension,aligmnents,weight, just like any other form of RC racing.But before you guys get on here an brag you did it,please post a video of your runs.iam not saying that you wont be able to do it,but you will find out very quickly that its way harder than you guys think.

The_Shark 05-05-2012 08:35 AM

yeah its not easy, thats why i like 2wd pan car, they have incredible potential but taming the beast is VERY hard to do, i have very little track time under my belt but once i lay the car down i freak myself out because im used to being on the edge of control, my t-maxx is the narrow one set up all floppy, so it will go up on two wheels sideways, i can actually drive the car on the sidewalls and constantly be going from 4 tires to 2 tires to 3 tires and maintain speed and a corner at the same time.

pretty much everything i own a newbie will wrap around a tree in two seconds.