RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11205765-racers-v-bashers-vehicles-not-drivers.html)

yakfish 08-25-2012 01:35 PM

Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers)

Ok, so I have been apart of and overheard some people discussing the subject of racers v. bashers reffering to which cars/trucks are designed for which purpose. I was at my LHS this morning to pick up a few things when I overheard a couple guys arguing about which truck was a better basher. One of them made the argument the truck was not a good basher because it was designed to be a racer. We have all heard someone say that car/truck X is a great basher but not too good as a racer. Or car/truck X is a fantastic racer but not too good of a basher.

Here are a few observations I have made during my time spent around and with RC. I don't race any of my RC's (not that I have anything against racing) I just like to be able to drive when ever and where ever I want to without having to mess with the "rules". I have always liked to do my own thing and from what I have heard from racers they spend much more time in the pit than on the track running anyway. Having said this many of the best RC's I have owned have been designed and marketed to racers. These have always been the most reliable RC's for me and have taken abuse much better than other RC's that are marketed to bashers. And the trucks that I have owned that are designed to be bashers(I will refrain from mentioning names because I don't want the fanboys to get fired up) tend to be more on the delicate side and they typically don't handle nearly as well. Right now my two favorites RC's I own are a Losi 8ight 2.0 and an 8ight-T 2.0. These are most widely marketed to racers. But I bash them and they do much better than the RC's that were designed and sold as bashers. The best RC I have ever owned where a couple Mugen MBX5T's. They where most definently higher end racers but they werealso the best bashers I ever ran. I set my uncle up with an MBX5T that had been converted to brushless and he bashes it. I have a brushless MBX6T on its way as we speak and it will be bashed as well.

Anyway my question is. Are bashers really built to suit bashing? Or are they built to look cool and then marketed to noobs who can't afford racers? Or do people just get sucked into the marketers claims that car/truck X is designed to be bashed? It has been my experience that cars/trucks designed to be racers are much better in every catagory than their basher counterparts. What makes an RC a basher or a racer anyway?

SyCo_VeNoM 08-25-2012 01:54 PM

RE: Racers v. Bashers (the vehicles not the drivers)

interesting question

well here's the thing racers can be bashed
but bashers can't be raced for the most part.

Like take for example the Savage excellent basher high durability, Now take it to a track and you would need to be an excellent driver to get it around the course once without needing a turn marshal.

Then there are some racers that just don't have the ground clearance to make good bashers.

Also yes a lot of bashers are on the lower end of the spectrum in cost, are they for noobs? not necessarily. And a quite a few current basher rigs are ex race rigs from years past.

JohnP2 08-25-2012 07:45 PM

This is a great question that I have wondered as well. I imagine some of the popular "racing class" vehicles (8ight, RC8.2, D8,etc) can also handle a good bashing. Some of the tracks I've seen also looklike great bashing spots, so to hold up, I assume durability is a huge factor.

In addition, I'mcurious how many folks with the "upper-tier" race class vehicles also bash withthose same vehicles?

yakfish 08-25-2012 08:35 PM

It seems that many of the more serious racers will have the car they race with and another they practice with. It also seems that many of these racers are "too good" to bash and come across to me as stuck up. At least that is the impression I have received from a few in my area. Another reason I don't race.

Haddi Taha 08-25-2012 08:46 PM

I prefer racers for bashing. They are more durable and handle better. However parts are usually more expensive and so are the vehicles themselves. That is why I want a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3. It is a 1.8 truggy with monster truck wheels and body. It has the clearance of a mt and the durability of a truggy. I think I can convert it to a racer but not many tracks in my area

The_Shark 08-25-2012 09:13 PM

ORIGINAL: yakfish

It seems that many of the more serious racers will have the car they race with and another they practice with. It also seems that many of these racers are ''too good'' to bash and come across to me as stuck up. At least that is the impression I have received from a few in my area. Another reason I don't race.
I'm not racing yet but have a race buggy, the hyper 9 GL, I WILL NOT bash this buggy, however, it WOULD make a awesome basher, good ground clearance, yet super low CG, 17mm shocks with 5mm shafts, 4mm thick frame, aluminum braces, the works, but I don't want to put wear and tear on a precision machine, thats why I own the MGT 8.0 its a moose and I don't throwing it around, and handles TONS of abuse.

agreed some "bashers" are just junk, some are very durable, yet crudely designed and not suited for a track. race cars have durability in mind since breakdowns lose races, however some cars are so focused on low weight and efficiency that they are less forgiving in crashes (4wd 1/10 buggies)

HerrSavage 08-25-2012 09:30 PM

Your question is biased by the fact that racing is just the big fad at the moment, and bashing isn't as popular as it was 5-8 years ago.

I have raced, and I have to say, I just don't like it. It all seems to me like racing is largely (not only, but largely..) a bunch of dorks with clenched sphincters wrenching endlessly - changing shock and diff oils, buying four kinds of tires, measuring this or that geometry down to the millimeter, whatever.. Racing is a public library, and for me anyway bashing is a Metallica concert.

Racing is also a huge money pit. Sure, in some ways an X-ray XB9 or whatever is better than some RTR MT. But it costs twice as much. And it's got a totally different purppose. The MT after all will wheelie and flip off ramps better - and that's part of what bashing is. The X-ray will be better on the very limited confines of a track, which is what it is meant for.

As I think everybody here knows, "better" is relative. For me, hands down the best RC I have ever had is my first Losi LST2. I bought it nearly six years ago, and broke it in over five years ago. Here is a video from last weekend:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kOPfSkcDcU

It's not the most amazing bash video or anything. But the truck is 5+ years old and has been through a lot. I think most of the bearings(except the diffs) are original.. I still use the 40mhz radio on various RC's.. It's good quality. But that's not enough. I have - IMO - the right parts here and there on it to strengthen it, and - usually - not shown in the video - I'm not a complete bonehead when it comes to driving(I was pretty bad last weekend - at least when I was being filmed..) So some people will take a new LST2 and break it immediately. But they'd probably break a new Mugen too. So you can't separate the drivers from the cars. There are people out there who race truggies with Axial .28's - and do well.. And there are guys who blow up $400 Novarossis and Speeds or whatever because they don't know what they're doing..

People argue about which is tougher on RC's, racing or bashing. And no doubt, racing is tough on an RC. But even the high end race stuff wears out - they develop slop, you need to replace arms, and these or those bushings, some - like Mugen - will break arms a lot, some seem to eat servos(expensive servos), etc.. Buggies and truggies are probably a bit tougher than an MT because they are simpler. But what makes them good on a track also makes them boring in some field or parking lot too IMO.. OK OK if you have some great track just up the road, fine.. I'd probably be more into racing too. But no, I am not going to buy a camper van in order to really get into racing, and drive and camp all over the country chasing "points" or whatever..

Whatever the case, I have become pretty anti-racing. I've met some good guys at races over the years, and had fun here and there. But as an adult with other commitments and interests in life, I don't like that a race for ex. requires an entire weekend. You have to pay to race, you need a pit helper, you need four sets of tires, a backup engine, and many people will tell you a second kit for spare parts. So in the end you're spending two grand on a toy car(or two of them), which just in itself increases the seriousness of your participation in RC to a level I'm not comfortable with... I don't want to have to say, "Oh there's a race next month, let me mark it on my calendar, and come hell or high water that is what I'm going to do"... Then it rains... Or an old friend comes to town. Or whatever..

Racing is a fad - what you see now is a high tide of popularity, but it too will ebb. It's only part of RC. If it's your thing, fine. But it's not the only thing.

yakfish 08-25-2012 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

Your question is biased by the fact that racing is just the big fad at the moment, and bashing isn't as popular as it was 5-8 years ago.

I have raced, and I have to say, I just don't like it. It all seems to me like racing is largely (not only, but largely..) a bunch of dorks with clenched sphincters wrenching endlessly - changing shock and diff oils, buying four kinds of tires, measuring this or that geometry down to the millimeter, whatever.. Racing is a public library, and for me anyway bashing is a Metallica concert.

Racing is also a huge money pit. Sure, in some ways an X-ray XB9 or whatever is better than some RTR MT. But it costs twice as much. And it's got a totally different purppose. The MT after all will wheelie and flip off ramps better - and that's part of what bashing is. The X-ray will be better on the very limited confines of a track, which is what it is meant for.

As I think everybody here knows, ''better'' is relative. For me, hands down the best RC I have ever had is my first Losi LST2. I bought it nearly six years ago, and broke it in over five years ago. Here is a video from last weekend:

It's not the most amazing bash video or anything. But the truck is 5+ years old and has been through a lot. I think most of the bearings(except the diffs) are original.. I still use the 40mhz radio on various RC's.. It's good quality. But that's not enough. I have - IMO - the right parts here and there on it to strengthen it, and - usually - not shown in the video - I'm not a complete bonehead when it comes to driving(I was pretty bad last weekend - at least when I was being filmed..) So some people will take a new LST2 and break it immediately. But they'd probably break a new Mugen too. So you can't separate the drivers from the cars. There are people out there who race truggies with Axial .28's - and do well.. And there are guys who blow up $400 Novarossis and Speeds or whatever because they don't know what they're doing..

People argue about which is tougher on RC's, racing or bashing. And no doubt, racing is tough on an RC. But even the high end race stuff wears out - they develop slop, you need to replace arms, and these or those bushings, some - like Mugen - will break arms a lot, some seem to eat servos(expensive servos), etc.. Buggies and truggies are probably a bit tougher than an MT because they are simpler. But what makes them good on a track also makes them boring in some field or parking lot too IMO.. OK OK if you have some great track just up the road, fine.. I'd probably be more into racing too. But no, I am not going to buy a camper van in order to really get into racing, and drive and camp all over the country chasing ''points'' or whatever..

Whatever the case, I have become pretty anti-racing. I've met some good guys at races over the years, and had fun here and there. But as an adult with other commitments and interests in life, I don't like that a race for ex. requires an entire weekend. You have to pay to race, you need a pit helper, you need four sets of tires, a backup engine, and many people will tell you a second kit for spare parts. So in the end you're spending two grand on a toy car(or two of them), which just in itself increases the seriousness of your participation in RC to a level I'm not comfortable with... I don't want to have to say, ''Oh there's a race next month, let me mark it on my calendar, and come hell or high water that is what I'm going to do''... Then it rains... Or an old friend comes to town. Or whatever..

Racing is a fad - what you see now is a high tide of popularity, but it too will ebb. It's only part of RC. If it's your thing, fine. But it's not the only thing.
You said alot right there man! I think for the most part I agree with, you some areas I don't. I don't believe racing is just a fad right now. People have been racing for decades now and it has its ebbs and flows just like anything else but its not going anywhere. Your perception of what racing is to you is spot on for me. I love the Library/Mettalica concert analogy! Racers just get too serious and that is a turn off for me. If a group of guys could just get together and just race that would be cool. But it is just too big and too organized for me. I have to disagree with you when you say "better" is relative. Ones perception of what is better may be different than someone else's but better will always be "better"LOL!
I have also heard this whole thing about Mugen arms being weak. I strongly disagree! I have owned 3 MBX5Ts and I never had to replace an arm on any of them. Those truck are tanks, you just can kill them! Imalso not going to get into the Truggy/MT debate again. Been there, done that. The servo you use in a buggy/truggy doesn't need to be any different than the ones used in you MT either. And that LST2 you have came out of the box with 2 steering servos that twice as much to replace when they go out. I personally dont need anymore RCs right now but if I descide I want another one I will get a Xray Truggy kit and bash it!

HerrSavage 08-25-2012 11:00 PM

Wrong on the LST2 servos - I only buy from chop shops - and that has been possible since I first got it.. For five years I've had a drawer full of spare LST2 parts, %80 of which I've never needed.. Almost all from jennysrcparts on ebay. And now the XXL servos are even stronger too, and you can get them for 20 bucks new each..

Mugen has had arm issues since the 6 series came out.

I actually just picked up something "new" - a used RC8T CE...:

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...825_173603.jpg

http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u...825_134220.jpg

I gutted my 10-tank old RC8.2 and put it all in the trug. Gonna' sell the RC8.2 now. With a used truggy that I got for a good price, I feel better about launching it off a ramp if that's what I feel like doing with it. And if a local race comes along, and I have time and the weather is right and Mars is just opposite Venus in the 9th phase or whatever, I'll just show up, plop it on the track, and go for it... There are some local guys that travel to different tracks in the region, so now and then - if I can get a ride.. (fuel just hit €1,76 a liter...), I might tag along.. Though even these guys, who never race in organized events, are still the types to tear down their trucks and replace bearings or whatever after every day out....

phmaximus 08-26-2012 03:23 AM

Hummmm... It all depends on a few things....

U say a losi 8ight s a great basher, but how does it compare to a revo with ezstart and reverse?

Because I use to bash with a guy with a hyper 7, great buggy.. Comparable to a 8ight...

Because of the ezstart my revo was up and running with no hasstles, while he was stuffing around with a pull start.
the revo was nearly unstoppable, if it couldn't drive over it, u could reverse back around it where my mate would have to run up to his buggy for something as simple as snagging a curb or the edge of a race track...

What makes a bash car a bash car?

nitroexpress 08-26-2012 03:26 AM

Racing and bashing supply different feedback. They each have their place. Each alsodraws ona different mindset.

If you read/ follow and believe BigSquidRC (by bashers/for bashers), bashing is 80 - 90% of the RC industry and quite large. Organized racing will always be around in one form or another. Could be onroad, offroad, electric, nitro.

HerrSavage 08-26-2012 03:44 AM

Yeah, racing has been around forever - but as a more niche - and IMHO, kind of nerdy - thing, until recently. Now it's the cool thing to do within car-RC it seems. 5-8 years ago slapmafro, beaverstick, redneckbashers, nitrobashers.com (Australia), Socalnitro, etc.. were all part of the explosion when bashing MT's like Savages, Revos, LST2's, etc.. was what people were really into. A lot of those guys also raced buggies I think. Then, after the explosion in RC (bashing) subsided, a lot of "bashers" turned to racing. Including me.. I just got into it cuz I like 8th scale nitro that much.. But it just doesn't have the attitude or fun factor that bashing does. For me anyway. Everybody's different..

I got into skating(REALLY into it, as in the way I'm into RC now..) back in the late 80's, when it really took off. To me the arc of RC is similar. Late 80's/early 90's it was all Christian Hosoi blasting huge airs, Cab going big but stylish, Tony Magnuson and his huge 10-foot airs was one of my favorites to watch, and so on. Then during the 90's the fad crashed, and it all got overly technical - how many variations of a rail slide with kickflip-this, varial-that, liptricks on ramps, all with the smallest wheels and boards possible, etc.. It lost its go-big, aggro, heavy metal edge, and just became an obsessively technical pasttime for a small group (many of whom had to play the role, with huge jeans and stupid looking hats and too much influence from hip-hop, etc..) It lost its soul, so to speak. And for me anyway the situation in RC has been somewhat similar, in going from bashing to racing(from the Dionysian to the Appolonian ha ha?...) There is nothing soulful about an internet thread debating the pros and cons of running 7-7-5, or 7-7-3 in your diffs, or of drilling shock pistons, or anything else on the seemingly endless list of such tedious minutiae racers obsess about..

Just look at the videos. With the possible occasional exception of watching Ryan Maifield run truggy or something(which is very impressive..), who wants to see clips of buggy or truggy races? Kind of fun to watch live, but sort of useless on the internet..

yakfish 08-26-2012 04:58 AM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

U say a losi 8ight s a great basher, but how does it compare to a revo with ezstart and reverse?

Because I use to bash with a guy with a hyper 7, great buggy.. Comparable to a 8ight...

Because of the ezstart my revo was up and running with no hasstles, while he was stuffing around with a pull start.
the revo was nearly unstoppable, if it couldn't drive over it, u could reverse back around it where my mate would have to run up to his buggy for something as simple as snagging a curb or the edge of a race track...

The 8ight is much more reliable than a revo. LOL! I wonder why you see so many revos with foward only conversion if the reverse is so go on them??? Or why some people ditch the "EZ Start" for a pull start.

the Hyper 7 is an awesome buggy for the money but the 8ight is a bit better overall.

nitrosportsandrunner 08-26-2012 08:27 AM

I think part of the issue is this:

models marketed as bashers (In general) are less expensive than those marketed as racers.

And since a model made to race is more expensive, it SHOULD be stronger and better built (IE, better materails, fit, layout ect)

A buddy had a RB5. Pretty sure thats supposed to be a race buggy. Kept breaking on him tho.

I have a B3, older but a racer. It, unlike the RB5 has proven to be very tough.

I have owned most of redcat's brushless models. They are marketed to bashers and newbs. They hold up OK, but obviously not as well as racer's that would cost twice as much (or cost the same but be a kit with no electronics)

Marketing is something the maker desides on...and wont always reflect what the model is best at. And then the owners can always modify...making a basher (slash 2wd) into a racer (LCG chassis and such) or take a racer and add alloy/rpm and such to make it more of a basher.

OvalRacer99 08-26-2012 09:24 AM

As I think everybody here knows, "better" is relative. For me, hands down the best RC I have ever had is my first Losi LST2. I bought it nearly six years ago, and broke it in over five years ago. Here is a video from last weekend:

People argue about which is tougher on RC's, racing or bashing. And no doubt, racing is tough on an RC. But even the high end race stuff wears out - they develop slop, you need to replace arms, and these or those bushings, some - like Mugen - will break arms a lot, some seem to eat servos(expensive servos), etc.. Buggies and truggies are probably a bit tougher than an MT because they are simpler. But what makes them good on a track also makes them boring in some field or parking lot too IMO.. OK OK if you have some great track just up the road, fine.. I'd probably be more into racing too. But no, I am not going to buy a camper van in order to really get into racing, and drive and camp all over the country chasing "points" or whatever..

Whatever the case, I have become pretty anti-racing. I've met some good guys at races over the years, and had fun here and there. But as an adult with other commitments and interests in life, I don't like that a race for ex. requires an entire weekend. You have to pay to race, you need a pit helper, you need four sets of tires, a backup engine, and many people will tell you a second kit for spare parts. So in the end you're spending two grand on a toy car(or two of them), which just in itself increases the seriousness of your participation in RC to a level I'm not comfortable with... I don't want to have to say, "Oh there's a race next month, let me mark it on my calendar, and come hell or high water that is what I'm going to do"... Then it rains... Or an old friend comes to town. Or whatever..

Iwill have to disagree with you about racing. Racing is about the competition and that is what does it for me.
Runing a rc car around a field all willy nilly is, in my opinion, extreamly boring. To me there is no point.
It's the working and adjusting on the car that does it for me, the constantly looking and working to make the car and the driver better than the next guy. You don't get that bashing, you get a bunch of geeks running around in a field trying to out do each other and see who can destroy their cars in the most spectacular manner.

So if racing makes me a dork wrenching endlessly, then call me guilty. But as far as I am concerned, you can not get the same rush from bashing that you can racing.

Besides, you have to remember that the majority of rc cars and trucks sold are NEVER raced, so saying what ones are better for this and that is pointless.
Enjoy your rc the way you want, if it works for you, then more power to ya!!!!

dbacque 08-26-2012 12:43 PM

Here's a view from an outsider. I'm an airplane guy, I don't run RC cars other than with my kid. I've got nothing against RC cars, I just love to fly. In particular I love to fly pattern planes. Old pattern planes, new pattern planes, these things are made for precision and competition. But I've never competed, not even once. I've competed in several other hobbies. I flew rockets as a kid and again as an adult with my kid. When the guys pushed us into competition I lost interest. I can see what they enjoyed about it but it just didn't do it for me. I also used to fly stunt kites. My buddies pushed me into competition because I was good at it. Again I lost interest in the hobby. I understand the competition mindset but it's not my mindset.

I've flown airplanes for 45 years now. Everything from free flight gliders to control line to pattern to scale. And in spite of the fact that I don't compete, there's nothing I enjoy flying more than a competition pattern airplane. They are made for a specific task, that task is to fly precision maneuvers. I know that the competition pattern airplanes fly better than the sport planes. I know that I enjoy flying precision maneuvers as demanded in pattern competition and that I would be capable of a respectable showing in any pattern contest. But I also know that I just don't enjoy the other aspects of competition, so I won't compromise my enjoyment of this hobby by putting myself into that arena. I have the highest of respect for people with that discipline, but it's just not me.

Just because I don't compete doesn't mean that I fly willy nilly. I fly with purpose and precision. I expect the most from my equipment. And I'm always striving to fly better, trim my plane better and tweak that last bit of precision out of my equipment.

So my outsiders view is that, I find the same thing that Yakfish was saying is true in the airplane field. My competition airplanes are the only things that I truly enjoy flying. They are as reliable as the day is long. My most flown airplane of all time currently has well in excess of 1300 flights on it (add a few more flights today) and over 120 gallons of glow fuel burned. This calculates to somewhere around 10,000 miles flown. Granted, airplanes don't take the abuse that your equipment takes but I've had sport planes that have fallen apart with much less abuse than this one has seen. It's only a very entry level version of the current, highly specialized pattern planes. If I had the money to blow, I'd be flying a very expensive, top end, competition pattern plane as a sport "basher" airplane. Competition equipment is competitive for a reason. It is just that good!

Dave

yakfish 08-26-2012 01:20 PM

You hit the nail on the head Dave,
I competition level kit flies better than a sport level kit just as a competition pro level car/truck kit drives better than a basher! This has always been my thought. So many people say that a basher bashes better than a racer and I have never believed it. And now that I have a few years of experience into the hobby I am proving myself right. But many people are very stubborn in the ground based RC side and seem to believe that wat ever they are driving is that best at whatever they are trying to do. And once some people get the idea into their heads that bashers make the best bashers thats all there is to it.:)

SLAYERDUDE 08-26-2012 03:13 PM

I agree with alot of what's been said, a basher really isn't a racer, but a racer can easily be a basher.
Vehicles on a race track take alot more abuse that even going out and skying big air on huge bashing jumps.
(Providing that you can land most of the time lol)
I started racing at a club level last year with my Savage XL, removed the preload clips off the springs and installed Proline Bowtie LPR 1/2" offset premounts and it handled the track great...
But it broke more often than if I was just out in a field beating the snot out of it on a wooden ramp, and watching the truggies on the track made me get serious and buy a D8T for racing.
Maybe it's because I have many different RC's to bash with, or that I don't want to put any wear on the race truggy, but the few times I've driven the D8T off the track I tired easily and broke out a MT instead.
Way more fun hittin' some gears with a 2/3 speed MT than just shooting across the yard with my racer.

As far as "nerds" racing, there's alot of guys at my track that constantly tweak their setup, guess I'm still a basher at heart and just charge my humppack and fill it with fuel.:D

phmaximus 08-26-2012 03:27 PM

The 8ight is much more reliable than a revo. LOL! I wonder why you see so many revos with foward only conversion if the reverse is so go on them??? Or why some people ditch the ''EZ Start'' for a pull start.

the Hyper 7 is an awesome buggy for the money but the 8ight is a bit better overall.
Yeah ive heard that to but speaking from experance I havent had any problems.

LOL thats funny that u think i said a revo is more reliable, well at least we both had a good laugh...

From what im seeing most people do the foward only conversion to cut down on some weight and to run a centre diff with twin brake discs... there is no conspiracy theory there, some people just like having a center diff more than reverse. doesent mean its faulty.

Im actially shocked that u dont know why people remove the ezstart? wanna know why? weight saving. simpler setup

My revo is a revo platnium full race spec... wanna know what, I got sick of having to bump start it so I fitted a new crank and the EZstart.... never looked back
Ive got 2 gearboxes for it, but 99% of the time I run a gearbox with reverse.... its saved my but so manny times....
I havent had a single problem with it at all in 4 years

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/2...101/120047.jpg

yakfish 08-26-2012 03:48 PM

The 8ight is much more reliable than a revo. LOL! I wonder why you see so many revos with foward only conversion if the reverse is so go on them??? Or why some people ditch the ''EZ Start'' for a pull start.

Yeah ive heard that to but speaking from experance I havent had any problems.

LOL thats funny that u think i said a revo is more reliable, well at least we both had a good laugh...

From what im seeing most people do the foward only conversion to cut down on some weight and to run a centre diff with twin brake discs... there is no conspiracy theory there, some people just like having a center diff more than reverse. doesent mean its faulty.

Im actially shocked that u dont know why people remove the ezstart? wanna know why? weight saving. simpler setup

My revo is a revo platnium full race spec... wanna know what, I got sick of having to bump start it so I fitted a new crank and the EZstart.... never looked back
Ive got 2 gearboxes for it, but 99% of the time I run a gearbox with reverse.... its saved my but so manny times....
I havent had a single problem with it at all in 4 years

http://media8.dropshots.com/photos/2...101/120047.jpg
I intentionally refrained from mentioning model names in my original post to try and avoid people bringing up Traxxas. LOL! I know why people get a forwad only conversion. I know why people ditch the EZ Start. Simplicity is my point to this whole thing. My Revo was the most dissapointing RC I have owned yet. I wanted one so badly and when I finally got one I constantly had issues with it. I'm glad your experience with yours has been better than mine!

The_Shark 08-26-2012 04:27 PM

revo go through anything? try a MGT 8.0, that thing will plow through ANYTHING, and thtat frame and drivetrain will handle anything you throw at it, strongest chassis known to man on that thing, if you bend that chassis I will eat my laptop.

the snow is going to be fun this year.:D

yakfish 08-26-2012 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

revo go through anything? try a MGT 8.0, that thing will plow through ANYTHING, and thtat frame and drivetrain will handle anything you throw at it, strongest chassis known to man on that thing, if you bend that chassis I will eat my laptop.

The MGT 8.0 was the best MT I think I owned, the LST was close but the MGT is a beast. Just such a gas pig. I always like AE engines too. They are the easiest RTR engines to tune IMO.

The_Shark 08-26-2012 05:13 PM

The MGT 8.0 was the best MT I think I owned, the LST was close but the MGT is a beast. Just such a gas pig. I always like AE engines too. They are the easiest RTR engines to tune IMO.
thunda' tigah! lots of people have issues with tuning, but thats because they tune by temp, that engine is happy and well lubed at 280F, its not a typical car engine because its a heli mill.

got mine used, 3 gallons in and runs like a champ so god knows how many gallons that thing ate, and helped a guy break in his and it started immediately and idled 3 tanks without even blipping the throttle, amazing!

The_Shark 08-26-2012 05:16 PM

thunda' tigah! lots of people have issues with tuning, but thats because they tune by temp, that engine is happy and well lubed at 280F, its not a typical car engine because its a heli mill.

got mine used, 3 gallons in and runs like a champ so god knows how many gallons that thing ate, and helped a guy break in his and it started immediately and idled 3 tanks without even blipping the throttle, amazing!

SLAYERDUDE 08-26-2012 08:47 PM

Trust me, you got one of the newer "good ones", I have an original first release MGT 8.0 and it's broken constantly...
Just tore the engine down to find the pinch is gone and the bearings are shot, got maybe 4 gallons on the truck and went thru 3 clutches in the process...?
I used to mod the MGT sections of AE forums and it was a constant flow of guys with MGT 8.0 issues, the 4.6 was pretty problem free from what I saw on the forums.
My Savage XL has been much more reliable, upgrade the throttle servo and shim the diffs, add some washers to the turnbuckle ends, seal the engine and I was good to go for gallons and gallons.
Pretty cheap, but a little bit of work... I have more time than money.:D