RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Forum Manners (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11373207-forum-manners.html)

Haddi Taha 01-16-2013 11:14 PM

Forum Manners

I think it has gotten to the point that we need to remind each other how we should act on a forum. Sometimes we can accidently join argurments or accidently provoke one as posts can be easily interpreted in many ways

This is not a place to attack people, be careful when posting your suggestion and try to ensure your post doesn't hint that your referring to a particular member/s

I will start:

When Posting
-Try not to attack others, it sounds simple but sometimes we forget that there is another human on the other side of the internet who has feeling and may feel inclined to defend themselves just as you would

When Reading
- Don't take things to seriously, if you feel someone offended you or your ideas in a post, imagine the poster said it in a humerous manner and reply accordingly

I know this thread sounds stupid but not everyone is here to eat popcorn and watch the fight<br type="_moz" />

proptop 01-17-2013 02:25 AM

RE: Forum Manners

Good idea...[8D]
Maybe the next thread should be Nitro AND Electric...or, Electric AND Nitro? (for "equal rights" )
Then we can all hold hands...sing Kumbayah (or however it's spelled ) and work on ending World Hunger...:D;)

Haddi Taha 01-17-2013 02:31 AM

ORIGINAL: proptop

Good idea...[8D]
Maybe the next thread should be Nitro AND Electric...or, Electric AND Nitro? (for "equal rights" )
Then we can all hold hands...sing Kumbayah (or however it's spelled ) and work on ending World Hunger...:D;)
haha what exactly do you mean by the "next" thread
<br type="_moz" />

proptop 01-17-2013 02:33 AM

Just trying not to be a "wise guy"...;)

Maybe after a couple weeks or so...the next time that particular topic is brought up....as it seems to pop up from time to time...

phmaximus 01-17-2013 03:09 AM

It would nearly be good idea to have a whole section for opinions like that so they don't pop up in the general threads, allso it will give them less exposure.

I mist admit I'm guilty of doing wrong, I've learnt a lot about forum manners, and I'm still learning

phmaximus 01-17-2013 03:13 AM

One thing I've allways wondered

Is it acceptble to ask a simple question before searching to see if anyone els has asked the exact same question before?

Foxy 01-17-2013 03:34 AM

In general forum etiquette, it is not appropriate to post a new thread on any subject without searching first. I'm as guilty as anyone of not always doing this though, especially since RCU's search is utterly tragic.

The best way to search RCU by a country mile is to use google specifying RCU as the target site.

Like this:

[link=http://www.google.com/#hl=el&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=nitro+vs+electric:RCUniverse.com&oq=nitro+vs+ electric:RCUniverse.com&gs_l=hp.3...13439.16320.1. 16427.17.9.0.0.0.7.569.2882.0j1j3j1j1j2.8.0...0.0. ..1c.1.6ADyXZ6MZDk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_q f.&bvm=bv.41018144,d.d2k&fp=c44b5b8072134132&biw=1 680&bih=842]clicky[/link]

phmaximus 01-17-2013 03:46 AM

I think we are all guilty lol

Ok, so it's not only me that has major problems with the RCU search...:D

Do u think RCU will ever hold compertitions to win Platnium membership To slow the cabin fever?

For example I really wanted to start a Xmas comp, for the best Christmas decorated Rc car...
But dident want to be criticized for a out there idea

Foxy 01-17-2013 04:14 AM

That would have been an excellent post. Don't worry if people won't like your ideas, post them anyway. If they are not appreciated, they will quickly disappear.

FahrtAutoRC 01-17-2013 08:13 AM

I've found greater luck searching here by entering my query, then deleting the little "forum id" thing that the site throws in the search bar, and entering the search again. But usually I just google my question in general and get good results. Only thing I can't find is a new crank for this stinkin Picco :( I want to get THAT engine running, not buy a new one!

mattster1971 01-17-2013 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

I've found greater luck searching here by entering my query, then deleting the little ''forum id'' thing that the site throws in the search bar, and entering the search again. But usually I just google my question in general and get good results. Only thing I can't find is a new crank for this stinkin Picco :( I want to get THAT engine running, not buy a new one!
do a google search for the distributor of Picco engines in your area and then contact them directly to see if they can secure the part for you.

t-max97 01-17-2013 09:48 AM

We're all guilty of posting without searching, but when someone forgets or just doesn't do it I dont think people should just say....search it.... and then wonder why rcu isn't doing to well, Its not a very warm welcome lol.

Ttowntoolman 01-17-2013 10:01 AM

It sure is easy to get sucked into a post and than deliver emotion in your next post........Been there done that. [&o]

philakapd 01-17-2013 10:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
<div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">I&rsquo;ve been enjoying the RC hobby for more than 30 years.I started with the Mountain Man vehicle in 1980 and moved into the Tamiya and Team Associated world not long after; Grasshopper, Hornet, RC10B3. For the past 20 years, I&rsquo;ve been flying .40 size nitro and brushless.I read on RCU daily, rarely posting.

</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">I&rsquo;m thankful for the OP and bringing this to light.Why?</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">This post speaks volumes.I don&rsquo;t want criticism for a simple suggestion or question I have.It&rsquo;s easier to read and not get bashed by fellow modelers.Yes, I&rsquo;m the sensitive type.</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">I spend most of my time reading the aircraft section of RCU&hellip;I haven&rsquo;t picked up a two channel transmitter and driven a car in years.But, I still enjoy reading the posts in the RC Cars forums.</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">Clear skies to all.</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><span style="font-size: 12pt">-PD</span></div>

pcarluvr 01-17-2013 10:56 AM

This may be off course but I believe some people take offence to a post only due to the way the reply was typed. When someone posts something and it's read by many people, it could be taken many different ways. A person may have made a comment in a totally innocent manner but it gets typed in a way that another may think it was an attack on them? Make any sense?

GallopingGhostler 01-17-2013 02:04 PM

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr [...] I believe some people take offence to a post only due to the way the reply was typed. When someone posts something and it's read by many people, it could be taken many different ways. A person may have made a comment in a totally innocent manner but it gets typed in a way that another may think it was an attack on them? Make any sense?
People are funny, pcarluvr, so am I.

Sometimes, people will read into things that were never intended by the poster. When someone says something controversial or rubs us the wrong way, short of an insult, it's time to back off, move onto to another topic. Then, when in the right frame of mind revisit what that person said.

If it is an insult, and particularly if a very offensive one, or bordering on indications of violence, personal attacks, etc. All have a right to report it to RCUniverse moderators. They will investigate. Based on what they see, they will take corrective action. Sometimes that action may be to terminate the abuser's account. In one thread, I saw the abusive posts deleted and the thread closed with a warning.

It sounds tough, but we are all adults and as adults or even mature teens are expected to behave with maturity that befits us. It is just reasonable, nothing more.

ejc34710 01-17-2013 02:39 PM

ORIGINAL: pcarluvr

This may be off course but I believe some people take offence to a post only due to the way the reply was typed. When someone posts something and it's read by many people, it could be taken many different ways. A person may have made a comment in a totally innocent manner but it gets typed in a way that another may think it was an attack on them? Make any sense?

Makes good sense. Why i am not too partial to texting. You can't read body language and/or hear the tone of someone's voice over an internet forum.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-17-2013 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

In general forum etiquette, it is not appropriate to post a new thread on any subject without searching first. I'm as guilty as anyone of not always doing this though, especially since RCU's search is utterly tragic.

The best way to search RCU by a country mile is to use google specifying RCU as the target site.

Like this:

[link=http://www.google.com/#hl=el&tbo=d&sclient=psy-ab&q=nitro+vs+electric:RCUniverse.com&oq=nitro+vs+ electric:RCUniverse.com&gs_l=hp.3...13439.16320.1. 16427.17.9.0.0.0.7.569.2882.0j1j3j1j1j2.8.0...0.0. ..1c.1.6ADyXZ6MZDk&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_q f.&bvm=bv.41018144,d.d2k&fp=c44b5b8072134132&biw=1 680&bih=842]clicky[/link]
I agree foxy, with the exception of course for new members. Those who join shortly after buying their 1st model.
The RCU search worked better a few years back. What happened to it...LOL.
You are better off doing a google search and looking for rcu posts based on that search.
I recently went to find my old posts on my 1/5 stampede...as I am building another one. Took me awhile to find those threads, and I knew what I was looking for, LOL

Haddi Taha 01-17-2013 05:14 PM

Personaly I don't mind responding to a thread that someone could of just searched, however I think we sometimes can interpret a post in a offensive manner which starts a fight which doesn't help the thread starter.<div>
</div><div>JohnP2 wanted to know why people like electrics alot.............Instead of answering the question we decided to turn it into one of "those threads". I haven't heard of John posting since that thread</div><div>
</div><div>I apologise to all that I may have offended, afterall we are just a group of rc fanatics who want to talk about rc</div>

SyCo_VeNoM 01-17-2013 06:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

Personaly I don't mind responding to a thread that someone could of just searched, however I think we sometimes can interpret a post in a offensive manner which starts a fight which doesn't help the thread starter.<div>
</div><div>JohnP2 wanted to know why people like electrics alot.............Instead of answering the question we decided to turn it into one of ''those threads''. I haven't heard of John posting since that thread</div><div>
</div><div>I apologise to all that I may have offended, afterall we are just a group of rc fanatics who want to talk about rc</div>
same to an extent if to find the thread you actually had to search
Ones that irk me are the ones the person makes a new thread when 4 other people asked the SAME exact question he asked in 4 different threads that are still on the 1st page.
Seriously I remember once someone asked a question 2 posts below his was the SAME EXACT THING, and 10 below that again was the same exact thing asked and answered. 10 seconds to look under the make new topic button would have gave him the results he wanted

phmaximus 01-17-2013 06:13 PM

what about when u do the so called right thing, and post in the existing thread... then get accused of hijacking it ;)

SyCo_VeNoM 01-17-2013 06:39 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

what about when u do the so called right thing, and post in the existing thread... then get accused of hijacking it ;)
stop hijacking this thread dammit, by talking about hijacking threads!

Max_Power 01-17-2013 07:05 PM

The search before new post thing seems a bit silly to me sometimes, ...I think these forums are as much for enjoying conversing with others as much as for a pure data reference. Its kinda like saying you don't want to talk to your buddy and hang out if he is ever going to bring up a topic y'all have discussed before. Most users I know log in here often in order to "see what's up" and although people often speak of 5 threads on the same page with identical questions I seem to have trouble finding those cases. .....and the search function IS useless! I don't come here because it is some responsibility I have to take care of....., most the time I come here to pass the time or relax. And at the same time if you search and find a post on your question and it is more than a month old and post to it people freak out that you "resurrected" a ancient post lol.

I think this whole concept and griping about it is very similar to the act itself and just some people would rather ***** and moan about IT rather than a RC question. After all, one could easily search and find plenty off threads about "forum etiquette" instead of starting this new one?

t-max97 01-17-2013 11:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

The search before new post thing seems a bit silly to me sometimes, ...I think these forums are as much for enjoying conversing with others as much as for a pure data reference. Its kinda like saying you don't want to talk to your buddy and hang out if he is ever going to bring up a topic y'all have discussed before. Most users I know log in here often in order to ''see what's up'' and although people often speak of 5 threads on the same page with identical questions I seem to have trouble finding those cases. .....and the search function IS useless! I don't come here because it is some responsibility I have to take care of....., most the time I come here to pass the time or relax. And at the same time if you search and find a post on your question and it is more than a month old and post to it people freak out that you ''resurrected'' a ancient post lol.

I think this whole concept and griping about it is very similar to the act itself and just some people would rather ***** and moan about IT rather than a RC question. After all, one could easily search and find plenty off threads about ''forum etiquette'' instead of starting this new one?
+1

Foxy 01-18-2013 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: Max_Power

The search before new post thing seems a bit silly to me sometimes, ...I think these forums are as much for enjoying conversing with others as much as for a pure data reference. Its kinda like saying you don't want to talk to your buddy and hang out if he is ever going to bring up a topic y'all have discussed before. Most users I know log in here often in order to ''see what's up'' and although people often speak of 5 threads on the same page with identical questions I seem to have trouble finding those cases. .....and the search function IS useless! I don't come here because it is some responsibility I have to take care of....., most the time I come here to pass the time or relax. And at the same time if you search and find a post on your question and it is more than a month old and post to it people freak out that you ''resurrected'' a ancient post lol.

I think this whole concept and griping about it is very similar to the act itself and just some people would rather ***** and moan about IT rather than a RC question. After all, one could easily search and find plenty off threads about ''forum etiquette'' instead of starting this new one?
There are cases for and against. It's the most logical thing to search first, but to say it always, under all circumstances would be silly, but it would be sillier still, to say 'go ahead and post, never search', for more reasons. 1, we will be answering the same FAQs all the time (even more than we do now), and 2, people don't learn to find their own answers, which is always critical. 3. It spreads the information out

That last one is really important. If there are 10 threads talking about 1 car, then there may be various vaulable tips in each one. If all those tiips were in the official thread, one would not have to go far to find them. Remember, when you are using a forum, you should consider how your usage of it will affect others as well, not just yourself.

Then of course you've got the case of the new member who's very excited and makes 10 threads the day he ordered his car, all about things that he could have found in the official thread for that vehicle, for example. That's just frustrating.

So, as with most things, propriety is somewhere in the middle.