RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   This is impressive any which way you look at it... (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11384639-impressive-any-way-you-look.html)

Foxy 01-26-2013 01:02 AM

This is impressive any which way you look at it...

What radio available today has...

4 channels
2.4Ghz AFHDS 2
20 model memory
Every adjustment imaginable
3 telemetry sensors included (rpm, voltage and temp)
Touch screen (and a stylus for when your hands are covered in nitro)
Lipo battery supplied with charging jack
2 different rubber grips for comfort
Eccentric rotatable wheel for comfort
Additional receivers which cost only 26 bucks.

And wait for it...costs less than $150.

I will be ordering one of these next week, expect a review in due course...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-it4-to...-titanium.html

I totally accept it may turn out to be a total lemon, but if not, that's a hell of a lot of radio for the cash and a risk I'm willing to take. I know of no other radio that can match those specs, let alone for that price. My 15 year old Futaba 3pk is about to be retired.

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-6219634...2247_520277745

Ttowntoolman 01-26-2013 02:55 AM

RE: This is impressive any which way you look at it...

Wow, looks neat too. I am due for a new radio, kinda up to my ears in Spektrum though....[&o]

Foxy 01-26-2013 03:23 AM

Me too, that's half my reasoning for switching, do not want to have to spend 50 bucks per receiver.

phmaximus 01-26-2013 04:05 AM

thats very comparable to the Traxxas TQi, still I think the TQi has the advantage because of the more versitile telemerty and sensor options. pluss it will never match apples multi touch screen, WIFI,GSM capabilitys.

one pluss its about the same price as a 5CH TQi but u dont need a Ipod/Iphone

Foxy 01-26-2013 04:27 AM

Hm...maybe you saw telemetry and the TQi was brought to your mind, however, these radios are not comparable. This radio is comparable to the most expensive radios on the market, the TQi is just a cheapish traxxas plastic radio which needs apple technology to work. (please excuse bluntness)

turok007 01-26-2013 07:09 AM

the traxxas is just nasty to hold. they should put some real effort into the design since they are adding all new features.

sparky 25 01-26-2013 07:26 AM

I have yet to have any problems with fly sky radio gear,

If this turns out to be decent il sell my dx3s for it,

Hate having to buy expensive spectrum receivers each time I get a new truck.

blvdbuzzard 01-26-2013 08:42 AM

I am looking for a new radio too.

To compare this to Traxxas, does not work. The TQi does not have any model memories, little features. It is a 4 channel radio. It only has the nice features when you plug another manufacturers device into it.

I have a 9x that has been flawless. If this radio is close to my 9x I will be very happy.

I am a long time Airtronics person. I have lots and lots of Rx's yet I do like the cost factor of the Rx's for this radio.

Waiting for a nice review of this radio.

Buzz.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-26-2013 12:24 PM

wow looks extremely interesting

wondered why I never saw it the other day as I was on their page looking at radios, just noticed they put it in the airplane section... That place really needs to get someone on the ball working for them

nitrosportsandrunner 01-26-2013 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

wondered why I never saw it the other day as I was on their page looking at radios, just noticed they put it in the airplane section... That place really needs to get someone on the ball working for them
yeh I missed it as well.
had to use foxy's link to find it.
I am still at a point where I will not spend that kinda money on a radio. But it is tempting. ABS breaking settings, 4ch ect. Nice features. And as foxy mentioned, only $30 for other recievers!

SyCo_VeNoM 01-26-2013 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

yeh I missed it as well.
had to use foxy's link to find it.
I am still at a point where I will not spend that kinda money on a radio. But it is tempting. ABS breaking settings, 4ch ect. Nice features. And as foxy mentioned, only $30 for other recievers!
$30 ones I see are $12 the modules I see separate though only one I'd bother with is battery, and maybe a temp for when I'm 1st setting a RC up for a few runs to make sure its fine, after that I could yank it and use it on another.

phmaximus 01-26-2013 05:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Hm...maybe you saw telemetry and the TQi was brought to your mind, however, these radios are not comparable. This radio is comparable to the most expensive radios on the market, the TQi is just a cheapish traxxas plastic radio which needs apple technology to work. (please excuse bluntness)
ok, but what makes it compareable? the fast frame rate? I rember not that long ago u were advising a member that u could not notice a difference in these very high frame rate controllers compared to a standard controller.

educate me please :D Im keen to know whats so speical?

phmaximus 01-26-2013 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: blvdbuzzard

I am looking for a new radio too.

To compare this to Traxxas, does not work. The TQi does not have any model memories, little features. It is a 4 channel radio. It only has the nice features when you plug another manufacturers device into it.

I have a 9x that has been flawless. If this radio is close to my 9x I will be very happy.

I am a long time Airtronics person. I have lots and lots of Rx's yet I do like the cost factor of the Rx's for this radio.

Waiting for a nice review of this radio.

Buzz.
the Tqi does have model memory up to 30 models. and the funny part as well as been able to bind 30 recievers to the controller u can bint 30 controllers to a reciver. that mean u could have 30 rc cars and 30 controllers, and pick up any car and any controller and away u go. all the settings are stored on the reciever but can be stored on the Ipod/phone aswell, so all the settings like servo EPA and curves will not change with the controller

yep its a 4ch radio but it can controll 5ch the 4th and 5th CH are on the same swittch

phmaximus 01-26-2013 06:04 PM

Im not saying the TQi is better as i have no experiance with the Flysky

Fly Sky FS-iT4 4
Traxxas TQi
AFHDS
DSSS, RSSI, Cypress's WirelessUSB-LP
Servo Reversing
Servo Reversing
End Point Adjustment
End Point Adjustment
Sub-trim Adjustment
Sub-trim Adjustment
Steering Exponential
Steering Exponential
Steering Speed Adjustment
Steering Mix Adjustment
Throttle Neutral (Dead Zone) Range Adjustment
Throttle Exponential Adjustment
Throttle Exponential Adjustment
Throttle Curve Adjustment
Throttle Curve Adjustment
ABS Braking Programming
multiply profiles for each reciver
Throttle Speed Adjustment
Profile customization and sharing
Throttle Centering Position Programming
Built in fail safe
Throttle Idle Up Programming
Engine Cut Programming
Boat Mode
Brake Mixing
Full Channel Mixing
Servo Movement Display
Race Timer
mechanical and digital steering trim & customizable multi function knob
Key Programming
simple tree programing or touch key programming
20 Model Memory
30 Model Memory
Updates via USB
Updates via Wifi or 3g
5ms Frame rate (yet to be confirmed)
13ms frame rate
Not Compatable with older recivers
Compatiable with older TQ reviecers
Lipo pack with charging jack
AA batteries or nimh pack with charging jack

I can see the FS-iT4 4 does have some cool features

Lets compare durability

A ipod or iphone can be fitted with a Griffen survivor case thats rated to a 3 story fall.
and i know from experance that the TQi can easly take falls from 5 foot

only time will tell how the FS-iT4 4 will go from a 5 foot fall.

because the TQi is 3 seperate parts (controller, base & ipod/iphone) repair costs are cheaper. Ipod replacement screen & Digitizers are only $21 for a set

In terms of telemerty traxxas are years a head with there customizable gauges, scales, pictures, units, customizable dashboard, audiable alarms, average, low, max, current readings, option to record telemerty with audio, ability to expand to run additional sensors and even a real GPS

SyCo_VeNoM 01-26-2013 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

only time will tell how the FS-iT4 4 will go from a 5 foot fall.
well if its like their others I've dropped my GT3 4 feet just for it to go down a flight of stairs(about 10) into concrete and it worked perfectly fine. My antenna fell off(the screw came loose and it fell out), and it got a little beat up from the concrete hit, but just put the screw back in, and it worked good as new :D
Also dropped my GT2, and 3b 3-4 feet into pavement off the back of my car in the past

eindecker 3 01-26-2013 06:29 PM

It looks cheaply made to me.

blvdbuzzard 01-26-2013 07:38 PM

You are comparing apples and radio's here. Try to do all of that WITHOUT the ipod. Why would I spend $160.00 on a TQi, then have to spend another $150.00 to get an ipod touch? If the TQi came with the ipod interface, that is one thing, but it does not.

Are you saying, if I get a TQi, pull it out of the box it has all of those features?

You need to check again, the TQi by itself, has no model memory. Non, zero. All of the memory is in the ipod, ipod touch and so on. So it is no better then any other radio without an ipod. If I am wrong, show me. Do a video without the ipod attached and show me the model memory, and all of the other super duper features.

I think you are missing the peoples point here. I have a DROID, so it does me no good to have to go out and buy something that cost the same or more then the radio to get the features.

Buzz.

Foxy 01-27-2013 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ok, but what makes it compareable? the fast frame rate? I rember not that long ago u were advising a member that u could not notice a difference in these very high frame rate controllers compared to a standard controller.

educate me please :D Im keen to know whats so speical?
Since you answered your own question in subsequent posts...

Foxy 01-27-2013 12:45 AM

$400 feature set radio for $150...

ORIGINAL: eindecker 3

It looks cheaply made to me.
You don't say!! Thanks captain obvious. :)

Foxy 01-27-2013 12:47 AM

I think you are missing the peoples point here. I have a DROID, so it does me no good to have to go out and buy something that cost the same or more then the radio to get the features.
Indeed. I despise apple, I was an iphone owner for 3 years, but never again. I despise their business ethos, but most of all, I despise iTunes. Therefore, the TQi to me, is just another cheap RTR 2.4Ghz radio without even EPA and terrible ergonomics.

Even WITH the ipod touch attached, it still doesn't have the same features as the flysky, but you could buy 2 of the flyskys for the price of a TQi with dock and a basic iphone.

I kinda laughed when you said 'handle a 5 foot drop'. I can tell you with my hand on my heart that in my RC career spanning nearly 3 decades, I have NEVER dropped my radio. If you are the clumsy type, try a neckstrap.

blvdbuzzard 01-27-2013 07:41 AM

With my hand on my heart too, I can with a straight face say, I have dropped mine a a dozen times and had one bounce out of the bed of my truck on the freeway at 70mph. Not much left, but it worked.

I see the TQi as a geeky, cool gadget. When I was reading up in it, I saw one pick where the guy put his ipad on it. What ever.

I have been dealing with apple since the AplleII days. I have never liked the business model, made changing hardware a pain. I have to work on them in my job daily. I do not want to use them in my hobby.

Buzz.

nitrosportsandrunner 01-27-2013 04:46 PM

Flysky requires nothing extra to get all features.
TQi requires Apple phone for some.
Hell, some of us dont own a cell phone period...let alone an apple.

Im sorry but traxxas dropped the ball with their new radios.

And whats worse, the prices of many of the RTR models are going up because they are dropping the basic 2.4 in favor of the fancier one. BAD move traxxas. If hobbiest want a fancy radio, they will buy it seperate.

someone said, lets see what happens when the flysky gets dropped on the ground. Hello, you shouldnt drop any radio! Just cause traxxas makes it, doesnt mean its a tougher radio. It will break just like any other.

SyCo_VeNoM 01-27-2013 04:56 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

Flysky requires nothing extra to get all features.
TQi requires Apple phone for some.
Hell, some of us dont own a cell phone period...let alone an apple.

Im sorry but traxxas dropped the ball with their new radios.

And whats worse, the prices of many of the RTR models are going up because they are dropping the basic 2.4 in favor of the fancier one. BAD move traxxas. If hobbiest want a fancy radio, they will buy it seperate.

someone said, lets see what happens when the flysky gets dropped on the ground. Hello, you shouldnt drop any radio! Just cause traxxas makes it, doesnt mean its a tougher radio. It will break just like any other.
accidents happen. Most times mine falls will be when I'm carrying it with 2-3 RC's (yes I know I could make multiple trips)

cumquat 01-27-2013 06:27 PM

i bumped my futaba 2pl (2.4ghz)and it whent tumbling down my staircase. not a scratch on it that wasnt there before, worked just as well too.

in regards to this radio, if i ever get the urge to replace my futaba, this will be on the list of candidates. at that price it's starting to step into the territory of futaba, spectum and the others but it offers features you'd have to pay $400+ for in some cases. if money was no object, i'd still get a 4pks-r but at the price it's hard to ignore.

phmaximus 01-29-2013 02:13 AM

You are comparing apples and radio's here. Try to do all of that WITHOUT the ipod. Why would I spend $160.00 on a TQi, then have to spend another $150.00 to get an ipod touch? If the TQi came with the ipod interface, that is one thing, but it does not.

Are you saying, if I get a TQi, pull it out of the box it has all of those features?

You need to check again, the TQi by itself, has no model memory. Non, zero. All of the memory is in the ipod, ipod touch and so on. So it is no better then any other radio without an ipod. If I am wrong, show me. Do a video without the ipod attached and show me the model memory, and all of the other super duper features.

Buzz.

Sorry bud, U are 100% wrong on the highlighted part, Seriously who told u that? or do u just assume?
Ive owned loads or RTR controllers but most importantly the traxxas controllers ive owned are the TQ, TQ 2.4ghz, TQ 2.4ghz link and now the TQi.

And I can assure the TQ 2.4ghz Link AND the TQi dont need a apple product to have model memory, it can all be done via the menu and select buttons on the controller and the bind button on the reveiver.

what anoys me is when people argue simple things like this that clearly have no idea, seriously m8 have u even googled it?
I mean come on, traxxas have there manuals online, and within them it has very easy to follow instructions on how to do that with out a apple product.

My guess is u just assumed that because it has no screen how do u select a model?
im not to keen on "showing" u with a video, because i feel all the information u require is easly avaliable.

Hope this helps, good luck researching