RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Which 4th RC should I get? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11487185-4th-rc-should-i-get.html)

DieHarder 04-21-2013 03:42 PM

Which 4th RC should I get?

Hey, I've been a member here 6 months. I have 3 hobby grade RCs. I plan to add a fourth. I've been in the hobby 6 years, I know of all the cars that Tower Hobbies sell and I'm having a hard time making a decision. Please Help me. Also, if you'd like, post reasons why I shouldn't get one or the other, or recommend a different car. Feel free to post! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

t-max97 04-21-2013 03:54 PM

RE: Which 4th RC should I get?

Ill beat foxy and other's to it and suggest the OFNA lx2e.

redfisher1974 04-21-2013 04:07 PM

Everyone should have a XS in the line up... Great little truck.

http://i726.photobucket.com/albums/w...psddfc1152.jpg

nitrosportsandrunner 04-21-2013 04:13 PM

seen the xs in person...not impressed by the size.

i dont get both hpi and traxxas...either could build a 35-40mph monster truck based on the maxx or savvy chassis that could use a 1/10ish, 3s system if they wanted to.

instead, traxxas makes the too short stampede 4x4...and hpi makes the too small xs.

OP, what models do you have now? where do you usually run?

the exo RTR is a bit slow IMO, but pretty tough looking and not bad for $300.

the redcat mirage has the same looks, is much faster, but not as tough. comes with a lipo & charger for $300.

There is a thunder tiger truggy (4wd) brushless that is $350 I think on tower hobbies. Im liking my thunder tiger brushless 2wd buggy and may buy another TTR in the future.

redfisher1974 04-21-2013 04:15 PM

I have no problems with the size... And it uses all 1/10 stuff.

echthelion 04-21-2013 04:38 PM

id say it depends on what you have and your budget

SyCo_VeNoM 04-21-2013 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i dont get both hpi and traxxas...either could build a 35-40mph monster truck based on the maxx or savvy chassis that could use a 1/10ish, 3s system if they wanted to.

instead, traxxas makes the too short stampede 4x4...and hpi makes the too small xs.

the redcat mirage has the same looks, is much faster, but not as tough. comes with a lipo & charger for $300.

There is a thunder tiger truggy (4wd) brushless that is $350 I think on tower hobbies. Im liking my thunder tiger brushless 2wd buggy and may buy another TTR in the future.

who in the world would want even more of that piece of crap :D

I've been tempted to get an XS looks like a nice truck, but I doubt I would use one much as I own quite a few other MT's of similar size. One major thing going for the XS though is it takes bigger sized lipos from what I heard not those damn expensive tiny lipos like the merv, and what not.

As I'm being lazy, and don't feel like looking to the OP what 3 RCs do you own currently? Might be easier to help with a suggestion if we know exactly what you got ;)

nitrosportsandrunner 04-21-2013 05:53 PM

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

LOL, well I wouldnt really want another maxx....

would I would LOVE tho is a lengthened and slightly widened stampede 4x4! There is NO reason why they couldnt make a chassis 2 inches longer and still use the vxl system.
Its short wheel base makes a good chunk of the power almost useless. And thats why I feel a savage xs wouldnt be much good either. Cram lots of power in a short wheel base with tall tires and a high CG? Sure it does backflips and is quick, but you cant hardly get on the throttle without it flipping over or ending up on its roof. Basher's are not much fun if you have to walk over and flip them back on their wheels every other minute.

Seriously traxxas, lengthen the stampde 4x4! Make it a more real MT. It wont add much weight, but will make it more stable and thus better able to handle the vxl's power on 3s. Dont just slap a BL system in the outdated and weak emaxx (and slap a huge price tag on it)

In my mind, there is no reason a larger MT truck HAS to have a 1/8 scale (expensive) brushless system. It is possible to keep the weight down without sacraficing durability.

SyCo_VeNoM 04-21-2013 06:03 PM

would I would LOVE tho is a lengthened and slightly widened stampede 4x4! There is NO reason why they couldnt make a chassis 2 inches longer and still use the vxl system.
Its short wheel base makes a good chunk of the power almost useless. And thats why I feel a savage xs wouldnt be much good either. Cram lots of power in a short wheel base with tall tires and a high CG? Sure it does backflips and is quick, but you cant hardly get on the throttle without it flipping over or ending up on its roof. Basher's are not much fun if you have to walk over and flip them back on their wheels every other minute.

Seriously traxxas, lengthen the stampde 4x4! Make it a more real MT. It wont add much weight, but will make it more stable and thus better able to handle the vxl's power on 3s. Dont just slap a BL system in the outdated and weak emaxx (and slap a huge price tag on it)

In my mind, there is no reason a larger MT truck HAS to have a 1/8 scale (expensive) brushless system. It is possible to keep the weight down without sacraficing durability.
wouldn't that be a slash 4X4 with MT tires then [&:]]

BTW got a pede 4X4, with a more powerful setup then the VXL system, and it handles pretty damn nice with a few mods(center diff, bullet ST tires, and taking out shock pre-loads) ;)
Mine behaves more like a truggy(been meaning to slap a wing on it too ;)) the way I set it up :D

phmaximus 04-21-2013 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: DieHard1207

Hey, I've been a member here 6 months. I have 3 hobby grade RCs. I plan to add a fourth. I've been in the hobby 6 years, I know of all the cars that Tower Hobbies sell and I'm having a hard time making a decision. Please Help me. Also, if you'd like, post reasons why I shouldn't get one or the other, or recommend a different car. Feel free to post! [img][/img]
What have u got? So we can get a idea of what u like

What's ur dream car? If price was not a issue?

DieHarder 04-22-2013 05:19 AM

I have a Duratrax Evader Brushless (Actually and ST, but now has all Evader Bruashless parts), a HBX MT, and a Losi Micro Brushless SCT.

I run around the yard, and will soon be putting in a track. Our yard is fairly flat with a few hills. (Not many bumps) I plan to take it to do some minor rock crawling. I'm intrested in crawling and racing, but don't have many places to crawl. So I'm looking at something 4WD, fast but strong, and a metal tranny. Looking anywhere between $200-$350. Oh, and my dream car would be a Thunder Tiger G3 MT4 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XCYCB&amp;P=ML.</p>

futureboy1969 04-22-2013 05:00 PM

I have a savage xs and an exo terra. I love thm both for diff reasons.

ejc34710 04-22-2013 05:31 PM

I have a Savage XS. While my Savage X loves to flip over, i can not say the same for the XS. I can't recall any time it has ever flipped over unless i landed a jump wrong. Then again, i am using the stock tires (no grip) and a 2s battery.

DieHarder 04-22-2013 06:21 PM

What kind of different reasons for each one? Maybe it'll help me make my decision.

ORIGINAL: futureboy1969

I have a savage xs and an exo terra. I love thm both for diff reasons.

t-max97 04-22-2013 06:25 PM

None of those rc's are going to rock crawl.

DieHarder 04-23-2013 04:57 AM

I wasn't planning on crawling rocks, just a few hills and tight places where I'd need 4WD.</p>

cumminspower5.9 04-23-2013 06:22 AM

With your budget and driving conditions, the XS is you truck. Just because it is small, doesn't mean it handles like crap. A lot of people judge this truck without even driving it. I have one and can say it will go over anything without issues, and has the low end speed and high end. It is by no means a crawler. Sounds like you need something brushed to prevent cogging of the motor. The XS coggs when at real low speeds.

t-max97 04-23-2013 06:53 AM

I wasn't planning on crawling rocks, just a few hills and tight places where I'd need 4WD.</p>
Just going by what you said. I plan to take it to do some minor rock crawling. I'm intrested in crawling and racing

phmaximus 04-23-2013 07:42 AM

what about a 4x4 SCT, ther are all the rage ATM?

What about 2nd hand????

please guys lets not debait the pros and cons of buying 2nd hand..... Im simply asking the OP & the OP only if they would look at getting a 2nd hand higher quality vehicle that would be normally out of his price range.

SyCo_VeNoM 04-23-2013 11:01 AM

OFNA Nexx10SC ;)

just throw in a motor, esc, servo, and radio of your choice, and go

DieHarder 04-24-2013 05:13 AM

Could you guys add a few more votes up above for reference?

I'm debating whether or not to get an Ofna. My LHS doesn't carry anything for them, so I'd have to order everything.</p>

DieHarder 04-24-2013 05:14 AM

Could you guys add a few more votes up above for reference?

I'm debating whether or not to get an Ofna. My LHS doesn't carry anything for them, so I'd have to order everything.</p>

DieHarder 04-24-2013 05:18 AM

Ok, I am not a huge fan of SCTs, and most of them don't have the metal trannys. Losi might be ok, but still not sure. Thanks for the suggestion though. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

I have a Duratrax Evader Brushless (Actually and ST, but now has all Evader Bruashless parts), a HBX MT, and a Losi Micro Brushless SCT.

I run around the yard, and will soon be putting in a track. Our yard is fairly flat with a few hills. (Not many bumps) I plan to take it to do some minor rock crawling. I'm intrested in crawling and racing, but don't have many places to crawl. So I'm looking at something 4WD, fast but strong, and a <span style="font-size: large"><u>metal tranny</u></span>. Looking anywhere between $200-$350. Oh, and my dream car would be a Thunder Tiger G3 MT4 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...XCYCB&amp;P=ML.</p>

phmaximus 04-24-2013 06:31 AM

As far as i knew most SCT have metal gears? even the humble traxxas slash

just wondering what do u mean by metall tranny?

metal gears? metal driveshafts? metal diffhousing? metal center diff support?

can i be a pain in the butt and ask why?

most 4x4's have metal axles wheel hex pins,, dogbones, diff carrier, pinion and ring gears, diff gears, driveshafts and even the slipper carrier? with the exception of the spur gear and some wheel hex's

DieHarder 04-24-2013 07:37 AM

Yeah, I'm looking for metal gears and drive shafts. Tranny housing can be plastic. If I go with an SCT, then I'd like a steel spur after the thousands that I've stripped. I have had bad luck with Traxxas products, and really don't care for them. To me, they're way overpriced for the amount of truck that you get. I'm just disappointed in them. I want more something like a 4wd truggy or MT that has speed, grip, and has a wide range of gearing for those extra hill climbs that I like to do. And believe me, doing hill climbs with my 2WD Evader is on heck of a tire-spin marathon. I have a Losi Micro Burshless sct, and like the 4WD, but I'd like to try it in a Hobby grade 1/10 scale w/ 4WD. (I wouldn't quite call my HBX "Hobby-Grade")

ORIGINAL: phmaximus

As far as i knew most SCT have metal gears? even the humble traxxas slash

just wondering what do u mean by metall tranny?

metal gears? metal driveshafts? metal diffhousing? metal center diff support?

can i be a pain in the butt and ask why?

most 4x4's have metal axles wheel hex pins,, dogbones, diff carrier, pinion and ring gears, diff gears, driveshafts and even the slipper carrier? with the exception of the spur gear and some wheel hex's