RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   traxxas new rock crawler...sort of (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11584670-traxxas-new-rock-crawler-sort.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 08-09-2013 01:14 PM

traxxas new rock crawler...sort of

I have been wishing for traxxas to do a rock crawler....this is there idea: http://traxxas.cmail1.com/t/j-l-tjdkbt-kltuituh-r/ Now Im sure it is a perfectly good truck, and it will be nice for some to be able to buy what is basically a stampede 4x4 at a lower price due to it having a brushed system but Im still wishing traxxas would do something NEW. I mean, Redcat has had more NEW models in the past year than traxxas. Anyone else think that's not right? Also, why on earth couldn't they get the body wide enough so the tires could tuck into the fenders and have it look more scale?!

robwiljas 08-09-2013 01:28 PM

I just saw that truck on their site and came here to see if anyone has said anything about it. I actually like Traxxas and some of their vehicles, they're all I currently own, but this thing is completely ridiculous in my opinion. They really need to get someone at Traxxas with some new ideas.

nitrosportsandrunner 08-09-2013 01:35 PM

its not a bad idea giving the option to buy a stampede 4x4 with a brushed system....but why not do just that? Why the new body and new name? Seriously, how many models are gonna have the slash chassis? Basically up to 5 now, rally-pede-slash-xo1-this telluride thing. If the body was more scale and sat lower on the chassis and the wheels could tuck into it then at least it would have showed they tried. But they didn't, just slap a SUV body on it and call it a trail truck. Where is the innovation? Where is the new ideas? Traxxas claims to be the biggest name in RC but it seems they are not willing to put much money into R&D. And don't get me wrong, I do like many traxxas models...even tho some have well known flaws that date back many years. The slash 4x4 is a good overall truck, but the shock caps suck and the driveshafts are only just strong enough for it. You shouldn't HAVE to upgrade the shocks on a $350+ truck right out of the box. But if you don't, those shock caps will pop before your 5th battery pack. So not only are they not giving us any truly new models, but they also are unwilling to fix simple stuff like putting alloy caps on these shocks that get used on 50% of their models.

SyCo_VeNoM 08-09-2013 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner (Post 11587102)
its not a bad idea giving the option to buy a stampede 4x4 with a brushed system....but why not do just that? Why the new body and new name? Seriously, how many models are gonna have the slash chassis? Basically up to 5 now, rally-pede-slash-xo1-this telluride thing. If the body was more scale and sat lower on the chassis and the wheels could tuck into it then at least it would have showed they tried. But they didn't, just slap a SUV body on it and call it a trail truck. Where is the innovation? Where is the new ideas? Traxxas claims to be the biggest name in RC but it seems they are not willing to put much money into R&D. And don't get me wrong, I do like many traxxas models...even tho some have well known flaws that date back many years. The slash 4x4 is a good overall truck, but the shock caps suck and the driveshafts are only just strong enough for it. You shouldn't HAVE to upgrade the shocks on a $350+ truck right out of the box. But if you don't, those shock caps will pop before your 5th battery pack. So not only are they not giving us any truly new models, but they also are unwilling to fix simple stuff like putting alloy caps on these shocks that get used on 50% of their models.

Last time I was to my LHS the TRAXXAS name was the biggest one in there literally as their banner dwarfed HPI, and all the others.
So at that point they are not lying :D

As for the truck... I honestly don't know what to say about it other then why? It adds nothing to their roster that isn't better done elsewhere, its kindalike that latrax thing IMO it has no real purpose. This I bet has a normal diff in it so it can't rock crawl, it has independent suspention so again it will have traction issues on most trails when it comes time to get over obstacles. IMO it serves absolutely 0 purpose.

robwiljas 08-09-2013 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM (Post 11587183)
Last time I was to my LHS the TRAXXAS name was the biggest one in there literally as their banner dwarfed HPI, and all the others.
So at that point they are not lying :D

As for the truck... I honestly don't know what to say about it other then why? It adds nothing to their roster that isn't better done elsewhere, its kindalike that latrax thing IMO it has no real purpose. This I bet has a normal diff in it so it can't rock crawl, it has independent suspention so again it will have traction issues on most trails when it comes time to get over obstacles. IMO it serves absolutely 0 purpose.

Yep they just put 100k oil in it.

Zonked 08-09-2013 04:14 PM

I like it, for a 4x4 truck that can be bought for 250.00 rtr it will be fun.

Maybe the purpose of this truck is just to be fun ? Like almost every RC car in the market does.

On2_n_On4 08-09-2013 04:16 PM

can't blame traxxas., if the fanboys want and (will) pay for the same junk., they r going to keep selling the same junk. JMO.

phmaximus 08-09-2013 05:07 PM

About time we see a trail truck that doesn't have live axles. Don't get me wrong, live axles are great on slow scale crawlers but on high speed trail trucks I think not. Let's face it speed and live axles don't mix.... Great example brushless scx10

in a way it reminds me of the old tamiya TA01/Df01 M1025 humvee.... Just bigger.
ive always been interested in the hummer H1's independent suspension, its kinda cool in a way

This looks to be a trail truck that has traded some crawling ability for high speed handling....
there are a lot of guys converting there 4x4 slashes into similar rigs, so there would have to be a market for it right?

IMO it would make a awesome first car for a youngster.

Microz 08-09-2013 06:33 PM

I like it. I think it would make a fun, low cost 4x4 basher IMO.

Now how to make the money for all this stuff? :D With all these planes and cars I want....;)

Zonked 08-10-2013 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner (Post 11587080)
I have been wishing for traxxas to do a rock crawler....this is there idea: http://traxxas.cmail1.com/t/j-l-tjdkbt-kltuituh-r/ Now Im sure it is a perfectly good truck, and it will be nice for some to be able to buy what is basically a stampede 4x4 at a lower price due to it having a brushed system but Im still wishing traxxas would do something NEW. I mean, Redcat has had more NEW models in the past year than traxxas. Anyone else think that's not right? Also, why on earth couldn't they get the body wide enough so the tires could tuck into the fenders and have it look more scale?!

Oh boy, please tell me the 5 "new" models Redcat has released in the past year that are not rebadged chinese models ? Redcat has a few decent cars but c'mon they dont actually build or design anything.

matter of fact who else in the past 5 years have released as many new models as Traxxas ? or who is doing more to grow the hobby?. I only have 2 traxxas cars and they are ok but lets not forget who else does the same exact thing. Associated, Axial, Hoboa, Losi, Duratrax, Thunder Tiger and the re-release king Tamiya are all guilty and there is nothing wrong with it.

phmaximus 08-10-2013 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Zonked (Post 11587638)
Oh boy, please tell me the 5 "new" models Redcat has released in the past year that are not rebadged chinese models ? Redcat has a few decent cars but c'mon they dont actually build or design anything.

matter of fact who else in the past 5 years have released as many new models as Traxxas ? or who is doing more to grow the hobby?. I only have 2 traxxas cars and they are ok but lets not forget who else does the same exact thing. Associated, Axial, Hoboa, Losi, Duratrax, Thunder Tiger and the re-release king Tamiya are all guilty and there is nothing wrong with it.

http://chrisblattman.com/files/2011/...utton_big1.jpg

collector1231 08-10-2013 05:26 PM

Dat like button is borken.

Traxxas; "Hai, letz mak a rohk crawlah' outtah ah 'Pede!!!!)

butt_housed247 08-10-2013 05:37 PM

i could probably actually use a truck like this, but i don't like this one. it doesn't seem like anything special. it's just a stampede 4x4 with slash wheels. then again i think the summit is just a slow revo.
and it's brushed? really? dude. by the time you put a brushless system and good steering servo in it you're going to be into it for like $500. and that's really not any better than the already brushless stampede 4x4. and i doubt it will trail any different.

idk man, it's not for me.

nitrosportsandrunner 08-10-2013 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Zonked (Post 11587638)

My point was that if a lowly company like redcat can release models that are not rehash's of their current models, then a company as big as traxxas should be able to release something new.
And don't get me wrong, this new truck is a good idea. I like the lower cost 4x4 option. I think they could have done much better on the body, but otherwise another good model. The stuff they have released, even tho mostly rehashed slash or merv chassis are all good as they are based on good models. But where is the passion? Sure, most companies are doing similar things but that is no excuse!
The people running the major rc companies need to stop thinking about year-end profit gains and start putting some passion into their models.

If a much smaller company like axial (within a few short years) can give us the ax10, scx10, wraith and exo....all of which are not rehashed chassis then why cant traxxas come up with something new? Why wont they do a solid axle truck...either monster truck or crawler? Why not do a fan boat or a tracked model? My point is they surely have the funds to R&D something really different...but they don't. They just pump out models that will sell and make money, which is more about company profits and less about the hobby. That's the way I see it.

phmaximus 08-11-2013 02:57 AM

Axial do the exact same thing.... Dingo, honcho, jeep.....they even share parts with the XR10 and wraith... So if axial can have 3 cars based of the same chassis why can't traxxas?

butt_housed247 08-11-2013 09:16 AM

because traxxas has 2 chassis and 900 cars based off each. and now they have the la trax line which in time im sure will be doing the same thing off the same traxxas chassis.
after a manufacture has been using the same chassis for several years people are board with it and want something totally new. traxxas thinks they can pull the wool over everybody's eyes by simply changing the body and wheels. it's starting to annoy the hell out of people. they (traxxas) needs to start with a blank sheet of paper and design what the people want. they aren't doing that, which again, is annoying the hell out of people. it's as if traxxas isn't listening and doesn't care.
as long as iv been in RC traxxas has not released anything the people have been wanting. they did the XO1. nobody ever asked for one of those. they did the funny car. nobody ever asked for one of those. but the entire time iv been here people have been asking for a rock crawler. all traxxas has done is rehash something that sort of looks the part, but in reality it's just a monster truck. it's as if they think they know what we need more than we do and they are trying to shut us up for as little effort and cost as possible. people are getting fed up with it.
the argument isn't about using the same chassis over and over and over. it's about using an old chassis that people feel has run its course over and over and over, and are sick of seeing it rehashed. they need to do something 100% new that the people have been wanting.

collector1231 08-11-2013 06:29 PM

1+ butt_housed. Although, it does look fun, I'm prolly not going to get one.

phmaximus 08-12-2013 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by butt_housed247 (Post 11588092)
because traxxas has 2 chassis and 900 cars based off each. and now they have the la trax line which in time im sure will be doing the same thing off the same traxxas chassis.
after a manufacture has been using the same chassis for several years people are board with it and want something totally new. traxxas thinks they can pull the wool over everybody's eyes by simply changing the body and wheels. it's starting to annoy the hell out of people. they (traxxas) needs to start with a blank sheet of paper and design what the people want. they aren't doing that, which again, is annoying the hell out of people. it's as if traxxas isn't listening and doesn't care.
as long as iv been in RC traxxas has not released anything the people have been wanting. they did the XO1. nobody ever asked for one of those. they did the funny car. nobody ever asked for one of those. but the entire time iv been here people have been asking for a rock crawler. all traxxas has done is rehash something that sort of looks the part, but in reality it's just a monster truck. it's as if they think they know what we need more than we do and they are trying to shut us up for as little effort and cost as possible. people are getting fed up with it.
the argument isn't about using the same chassis over and over and over. it's about using an old chassis that people feel has run its course over and over and over, and are sick of seeing it rehashed. they need to do something 100% new that the people have been wanting.

What chassis are u talking about? The 4x4 stampede chassis?
How old do u thnk it is?...hell the slash 2wd chassis ain't that old....2007
oh hang on u are talking about the rustler, bandit and pede? Well there sales are as good as ever. I totally disagree and don't believe people are getting board. If there is they are only a small portion of hobbyists.

i don't think it's traxxas that's the problem. I believe it's the haters. For some strange reson they think all the traxxas cars use the same chassis..

Viking2121 08-12-2013 08:09 PM

Honestly I wouldn't mind owning 1 of these, I can easily lock the diffs to help with the off roadingability. But hey, traxxas is well known, so if they want to re release the same model (slash) and make money, I bet they will make a profit out if it. But what gets me, is why the Titan still? When will they just let the motor go and come up with something better, longer lasting. But none the less the truck to me is interesting.

pcarluvr 08-14-2013 01:37 PM

Besides the R/C world, what company/product doesn't do what Traxxas does? My 2002 Ford Explorer was also the Mercury Mountaineer, Lincoln Aviator and went on till Mercury and Lincoln were closed. Now the wife's 2010 Explorer is darn near the same chassis and engine then mine. Eight years difference time wise and pretty much the same thing. Chevy,Pontiac,Saab, and Buick all had a vehicle that was just a re~bodied and badged version of the Malibu. That's just automotive, there are tons of other companies and products that are the exact same but different in price and appearance. This discussion will never end and the topic will always be the same. Just wanted to mention that over the weekend while sick as a dog, I watched a TORC truck race on SPEED and the winning driver was driving a Traxxas sponsered vehicle. Oh yeah, the driver is the CEO or sumptin of Traxxas!

Zonked 08-14-2013 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Viking2121 (Post 11589312)
Honestly I wouldn't mind owning 1 of these, I can easily lock the diffs to help with the off roadingability. But hey, traxxas is well known, so if they want to re release the same model (slash) and make money, I bet they will make a profit out if it. But what gets me, is why the Titan still? When will they just let the motor go and come up with something better, longer lasting. But none the less the truck to me is interesting.

Exactly !

So funny most look at Traxxas as some RTR Toy mfr (they are) but expect/insist with every release they reinvent the wheel. Slash, Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, X-01, Dragster, Summit, E-Revo and the 1/16th scale cars have grown the hobby more than any Serpent, X-Ray, JQ or Redcat models ever will.

nitrosportsandrunner 08-14-2013 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Zonked (Post 11590930)
Exactly !

So funny most look at Traxxas as some RTR Toy mfr (they are) but expect/insist with every release they reinvent the wheel. Slash, Slash 4x4, Stampede 4x4, X-01, Dragster, Summit, E-Revo and the 1/16th scale cars have grown the hobby more than any Serpent, X-Ray, JQ or Redcat models ever will.

I wouldn't mind owning one either....
but I don't like how traxxas released models like this with a bunch of hype and marketing like they have done something great.
I understand that all rc companies use the same chassis and parts for more than 1 model. I don't really have a problem with traxxas doing that. And I like that they put a brushed system in it.
But they release this like its new, and they fail to release something that is actually new.
The slash 4x4 chassis and the revo and 1/16 revo and dragster are the only New chassis designs they have come out with in the past 6-8 years. Everything else has been a variation of those chassis. And what makes it worse as those variations fail to address the problems known with those chassis. They don't care to give us metal drive shafts or even alloy shock caps!

just because they are the biggest and their models are decent doesn't mean they are good for the hobby.
Did you know that redcat had 2.4ghz rtr models before traxxas? *** right? Why did that happen, cause traxxas was happy selling what they had. Only after seeing many companies going to 2.4 did they drop the AM radios from most of their stuff.

traxxas has a very good biz model, it makes them lots of money. they could release something that would really impress. The xo-1 has impressive speed, but was still a re-hash of a slash 4x4. The drag car is actually impressive and I do applaud them on that. It is not my sort of RC, but it was new and addressed and area of RC that no one really had models for. The new Latrax is a joke. Trying to soak up some of the lower budget market with a cheap chassis with their name on it. Sad part is Im sure they will sell a bunch as well as many overpriced hop up parts that should have been on the model in the 1st place.

Why should they make a new chassis? People will buy whatever they release cause it has the word traxxas on it.

SyCo_VeNoM 08-14-2013 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner (Post 11591004)
I wouldn't mind owning one either....
but I don't like how traxxas released models like this with a bunch of hype and marketing like they have done something great.
I understand that all rc companies use the same chassis and parts for more than 1 model. I don't really have a problem with traxxas doing that. And I like that they put a brushed system in it.
But they release this like its new, and they fail to release something that is actually new.
The slash 4x4 chassis and the revo and 1/16 revo and dragster are the only New chassis designs they have come out with in the past 6-8 years. Everything else has been a variation of those chassis. And what makes it worse as those variations fail to address the problems known with those chassis. They don't care to give us metal drive shafts or even alloy shock caps!

just because they are the biggest and their models are decent doesn't mean they are good for the hobby.
Did you know that redcat had 2.4ghz rtr models before traxxas? *** right? Why did that happen, cause traxxas was happy selling what they had. Only after seeing many companies going to 2.4 did they drop the AM radios from most of their stuff.

traxxas has a very good biz model, it makes them lots of money. they could release something that would really impress. The xo-1 has impressive speed, but was still a re-hash of a slash 4x4. The drag car is actually impressive and I do applaud them on that. It is not my sort of RC, but it was new and addressed and area of RC that no one really had models for. The new Latrax is a joke. Trying to soak up some of the lower budget market with a cheap chassis with their name on it. Sad part is Im sure they will sell a bunch as well as many overpriced hop up parts that should have been on the model in the 1st place.

Why should they make a new chassis? People will buy whatever they release cause it has the word traxxas on it.

Or the weak chassis spots that NEED braces(on the mini's), or on the 2wd's the weak kingpins that have been failing for the past 14(?) years like on the pede 2wd. Its funny aftermarket part companies figured out how to fix the errors, but traxxas who designed the damn thing can't figure it out after many years.

Zonked 08-14-2013 06:54 PM

Yeah Redcat stuck some Flysky 2.4ghz radios first, but I think what Traxxas done with their radios is just slightly more superior ? Kingpins ? Have got to be kidding LMAO.

Done with this thread, buy what you like and hate whatever makes you happy.

SyCo_VeNoM 08-14-2013 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zonked (Post 11591123)
Yeah Redcat stuck some Flysky 2.4ghz radios first, but I think what Traxxas done with their radios is just slightly more superior ? Kingpins ? Have got to be kidding LMAO.

Done with this thread, buy what you like and hate whatever makes you happy.

Laughing at an obvious issue with a truck they been selling for 14 years, and have yet to care to fix the issue?
So when a new person's castor block breaks, or gets out of alignment due to buying a POS 2wd overpriced Traxxas RC,and they quit the hobby figuring all RC's are like that is that funny?

I'm very anal on this one cause one its a VERY well known issue, and its a issue that does not need to exist at all as every other RC I've owned not one has had a similar issue outside a stampede.