RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   High quality tools? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11603010-high-quality-tools.html)

brewmastr 08-19-2014 03:52 PM

High quality tools?

hey guys, im in the process of assembling a tamiya trf 801x, and im having some issues to the 2mm pan head screws, ive basically come to the conclusion i need a good set of drivers with these as my current tool is just rounded off. hudy tools seem to be the best but quite expensive. I figured i would come here and ask for opinions on tools and what others use to get the best bang for my buck, if its hudy i need then hudy it is, opinions anyone?

Maj_Overdrive 08-19-2014 04:07 PM

If you have a bench grinder or Dremel with a cutoff wheel you can grind the tip down to get rid of the rounded part and extend their life a little bit. The other cheap thing I've done is take the Allen keys included with a RTR, cut the short angled side off and insert them into the handle of my drivers since they have a set screw to hold the new bit in.

I've wanted a set of Hudy drivers for the longest time, one of these days I'll splurge. I've heard pretty good things about Dynamite and Ofna hex drivers though. Right now I have a set of Integy drivers that came with a vehicle. The titanium nitride coated Integy bits are better than their black ones but they both suck pretty bad. They are inexpensive though so I just order replacements when I'm not cutting down extra Allen keys that came with vehicles.

Large Larry 08-19-2014 06:30 PM

Hudy is pretty much where it's at. I've tried EDS and they are good but I still managed to round them off after a year or so of wrenching. My hudys are over 2 years old and still going strong.

collector1231 08-19-2014 06:59 PM

Dynamite and Associated drivers! Anything machined, pretty much.

brewmastr 08-20-2014 06:16 PM

I seem confused, are the dynamite drivers really that good, they seem very inexpensive.

EXT2Rob 08-21-2014 06:38 AM

I have a set of Dynamite hex drivers. For the money, they're just OK. The tips will eventually round off, but can be refreshed by grinding the tip flat. I ended up buying an MIP brand 2.0mm driver since it's the one that gets the most use and was always stripping. My buddy has a set of Duratrax tools and they seem better than Dynamite.

Large Larry 08-21-2014 10:27 PM

I have no experience with Dynamite drivers but they're not something I would bother with. Like mentioned above, it might be a good idea to buy a hudy driver for your most used one (usually 2mm) and get decent ones for the rest. I'd recommend EDS for the rest, I did round one of mine off after a year but I did more wrenching in that year than I probably have during my whole time in the hobby.

EXT2Rob 08-22-2014 08:25 AM

Never heard of EDS, Larry. Got a link?
I agree with you, buy a REALLY GOOD driver for the one you use the most, and you can get by with cheaper ones for the less-used sizes.

Large Larry 08-22-2014 11:15 AM

Sure. I think they are mainly sold on ebay but I picked mine up from the hobby shop.

http://edsracingproducts.com/

collector1231 08-23-2014 06:02 AM

My LHS only uses the Dynamite MACHINED (NOT THE BLACK COVERED ONES!)!!

brewmastr 08-24-2014 04:12 PM

well i would like to thank everyone for there advice here, after considering everyone input, i went ahead and bought a hudy 2mm,2.5 and 3mm drivers. now to just wait for there arrival so i can get this buggy up and running! Thanks again.

wwit 08-31-2014 03:35 AM

I missed the boat on this thread first time around. But for anyone else looking for same higher end tools, more specific high end hex drivers, I recommend the Thorp drivers made by MIP. I have the 1.5, 2, 2.5mm set and wouldn't go near an RC vehicle without them. Over the years I have rounded off, bent and broken dozens of hex wrench's. Spending far more on junk then then I did on my MIP's. And other than cost, better drivers come with so much less frustration it makes working on small RC's enjoyable.