RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   need insperation (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11633107-need-insperation.html)

nitrosportsandrunner 10-05-2016 07:57 PM

need insperation

I recently got accepted into merch by amazon...which means I get to make shirt designs which amazon then sells/prints/ships

There are surprisingly few RC shirts!

Here is the tricky part...I can't have anything that is copyrighted (should be obvious, but lots of people still put copyrighted stuff in designs anyway)
So, no RC company names, no names of specific models, no copy-pasted images and so forth.

so far, ive only come up with one design.

can you guys think of any image, funny saying or slogan that you would like to see for a RC shirt?

I need to have good designs that will sell...that way I will have more money to buy RC's :cool:

collector1231 10-05-2016 08:12 PM

I've got a few.

-RC racing can make you a millionaire... if you're already a billionaire.

-RC cars; 1/10th the price, but 1/1 of fun.

-Don't talk to me when I'm bashing!

RustyUs 10-06-2016 03:03 AM

Can you print on the sleeves? Multi-color? Long sleeved shirts are my thing.

Cartoon-ish RCs
Tires and mud tracks

I would tell how I want my shirt done up, but I almost know the price of what it would cost to do one-off long sleeved shirt with printing on the sleeves, and front of shirt. That's why I went with a simple design for promoting the band I was in. Spending my own money for shirts, to throw out into the crowd, adds up after awhile :cool:. I know you can't do the copyrighted stuff, which is why I once made a shirt with fabric paint for a Motorama race. I had to show off my "teams" gear. Traxxas TCP, Novak, and No Bull! motors...good times being somewhere in the H mains :p.

Maybe PM/Skype me about making me a long sleeved "Team KnoBBy LarGe LuGs Driver" and "Get Out There And Throw Some Dirt!" shirts.

Mechanicaloverlord 10-06-2016 04:09 AM

Here's a one with crossover appeal. Two not straight tire tracks with mud splatter around them, insert phrase about getting dirty, bashing, etc.

Some sort of design with a pistol grip transmitter and the phrase "keep it pinned" "no lift" "don't lift" "brakes? We don't need no stinkin brakes" "bash it like you stole it". You can do a silhouette style transmitter design, something more realistic, with or without a hand.

I kind of like the shirts that show X + Y = Z. Maybe a picture of a RC + nitro engine = musical notes, glorious noise or face palm to make fun of the tuning issues some have. Picture of electric motor + RC car + a really big lipo with lots of layers/cells = a picture of a RC doing a burnout or a broken gear. Picture of a RC + a pic of a jump, mud, anything = smiley face. Lots of possibilities for the X+y=z shirts.

Might I suggest coming up with a cool simple name for the company. Print the name small but easily legible up near the collar on the back and maybe put a small pistol grip transmitter in front of the name.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-06-2016 12:02 PM

sweet, thank you guys...some good ideas for me to work on!

With merch by amazon I can create designs for front/rear of a shirt (within a set area, they provide a template)

I can use pretty much any colors...but there are several color shirts I can chose to have the image printed on, so I have to consider that (can't use white text for a white shirt and such)

mechanicaloverload, thank you for the x+y=z idea...I agree there is a lot of potential there. What seems to sell best in merch is simple, eye catching designs with a little good righting.

The only design I have thus far says "choose your weapon" and has a sketch outline of a buggy, sc10 and a stampede. I have a drawing tablet, so I can grab pics off google and then trace over them to get a simple outline sketch of the image.

anyway, thanks again for the ideas. It wont be long before amazon allows me to post 100 designs, and I will have 4-5 good RC designs ready when that happens now.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-10-2016 03:42 PM

I want to do a shirt that says "I don't just drive Rc's....I build them"
But I can't think of what rc related image would go best with that statement.

Ideas?

seedygreenute 10-10-2016 05:04 PM

Just think of the things you use or change all the time . The design is the hard bit .
Maybe something like 2 crossed hex keys ( like skull and crossbones ) with a picture in each segment .
Gears , batteries , finned nitro motor , wheels , shocks and springs , transmitter .
My much more simple idea -
Front - picture of a buggy with aerial ( so you know it is RC , nitro version could show motor through the body )
Back - MY OTHER CAR IS ELECRTIC !!! ... or ... MY OTHER CAR RUNS NITRO !!!
Keep us posted ... I like your " I build them " idea ....If they come in Large Black , I'll buy one !

nitrosportsandrunner 10-11-2016 02:54 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by seedygreenute (Post 12266292)
Just think of the things you use or change all the time . The design is the hard bit .
Maybe something like 2 crossed hex keys ( like skull and crossbones ) with a picture in each segment .
Gears , batteries , finned nitro motor , wheels , shocks and springs , transmitter .
My much more simple idea -
Front - picture of a buggy with aerial ( so you know it is RC , nitro version could show motor through the body )
Back - MY OTHER CAR IS ELECRTIC !!! ... or ... MY OTHER CAR RUNS NITRO !!!
Keep us posted ... I like your " I build them " idea ....If they come in Large Black , I'll buy one !

I was going to PM you my idea thus far, but couldn't figure out how to

honest feedback please

note: the images are crisper on screen...image was slightly distorted when uploaded.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2185417

seedygreenute 10-11-2016 06:04 PM

I like the font and colour too .
I would maybe ditch the bearings in favour of something non-rc people might recognise , a motor or wheels for example .
My original thoughts was something screen printed ( just outlines of pictures ) , forgot you can photo print on just about anything .
I am not sure of the correct grammar when it comes to RC's or RCs , but you don't want to get it wrong .
Are there any school teachers on here that could help ?

nitrosportsandrunner 10-11-2016 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by seedygreenute (Post 12266638)
I like the font and colour too .
I would maybe ditch the bearings in favour of something non-rc people might recognise , a motor or wheels for example .
My original thoughts was something screen printed ( just outlines of pictures ) , forgot you can photo print on just about anything .
I am not sure of the correct grammar when it comes to RC's or RCs , but you don't want to get it wrong .
Are there any school teachers on here that could help ?

I'm not sure if RC's or RCs is correct, but with this font especially I think without the (') it is harder to read.

I can slap a motor in place of the ball bearings pretty easy. I'm already working on another design of the same concept that has a motor, the same shocks, a spur gear and I will add a some tools.

I will post a update of the old design with a motor and put up the newer design when it's done. It is nice to get feedback...with photo editing tools there are just too many options. I find myself often creating designs that are too complex and I've read that simple designs sell better.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-11-2016 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are 2 designs I have for sale already

images are low res, but its all I could show without posting a link to amazon's page and I'm looking for feedback, not trying to sell them here.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2185431http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2185432

seedygreenute 10-13-2016 05:59 AM

They look alright to me !
It's nearly summer here in Oz and I need some new t-shirts .

nitrosportsandrunner 10-13-2016 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by seedygreenute (Post 12267086)
They look alright to me !
It's nearly summer here in Oz and I need some new t-shirts .

thanks
on amazon you can search "rc t shirt" and they show up on page 2. If you are into drones, there are several other designs by other people that are pretty good.

I found another site that is "print on demand" that I put my designs on...but on this site you can have them printed on coffee mugs, cell phone covers, hoodies, sweat shirts, laptop cases, notebooks and a few other things. I don't want to "plug" my stuff on RCU which is why Im not putting links...but with this kind of stuff it has to be seen elsewhere because if you just do a search on these sites there are soo many designs for sale and most of the time the ones that are already selling show up first. Makes it hard to get started selling. Im working on promoting on pinterest, but my daughter has 50x's the number of followers I do :(

nitrosportsandrunner 10-20-2016 07:07 AM

2 Attachment(s)
2 new designs
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2186531http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2186532

EXT2Rob 10-25-2016 11:51 AM

"insperation". Is that like, perspiration, on the inside? :rolleyes:

nitrosportsandrunner 10-25-2016 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob (Post 12270806)
"insperation". Is that like, perspiration, on the inside? :rolleyes:

That is what happens when I'm online making threads 2 hours after I should have already gone to bed. At the time I knew it wasn't spelled right but the correct spelling wouldn't come to mind.
Bonus points for catching the error!

EXT2Rob 10-25-2016 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by nitrosportsandrunner (Post 12270895)
that is what happens when i'm online making threads 2 hours after i should have already gone to bed. At the time i knew it wasn't spelled right but the correct spelling wouldn't come to mind.
Bonus points for catching the error!

lol! 😀

nitrosportsandrunner 10-28-2016 01:10 PM

well, sold 2 of the "choose your weapon" shirts. It is a start.
I did another one that is a sketch of a tmaxx chassis and it says "go nitro or go home"

Mechanicaloverlord 10-29-2016 02:53 PM

I'd probably sketch just a nitro motor for that one and omit the chassis. You know the cartoonish car pictures with huge rear tires, shifter sticking up high? Think something like that, nitro motor sticking up out the back of a monster truck or 1/8 buggy. Have a little smoke around the tires, little flame and smoke coming out the tuned pipe.

My next idea would require a little searching into trademarks and such. You know how Tamiya had those sayings on their 80's cars? If they're not trademarked and you alter the vehicle image just enough, maybe you can put an image of the vehicle and that saying on a shirt. Tamiya Hornet and its "yeah baby" for example.

nitrosportsandrunner 10-29-2016 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
the tmaxx one has the motor visibleand I have one up that has a nitro motor in a heartI have another one uploading for the fly guys...things to say when you crash, with a list of things that were funny sayings posted on RCU.