RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   what is the best solder station for large wire sizes (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11644101-what-best-solder-station-large-wire-sizes.html)

horsefeetky 01-08-2018 06:45 PM

what is the best solder station for large wire sizes

so im in need of a new solder station that can handle the larger wire sizes of the 6s packs with ec5 connectors on them.. any suggestions or one for sale that will do the job well

i8tweety 01-09-2018 05:37 AM

Are you going to be soldering on a regular basis or a once in a while event?

If you are going to be using it regularly, I recommend the Weller WD102. It's the one I purchased after much research. As a 95W soldering iron, you will not lose tip temperature when soldering larger wires keeping the time you are applying heat to the objects you are soldering to a minimum. It also has a digital readout telling you the soldering iron temperature (you specify the temperature you want and it holds it there). There are 3 programmable temperature buttons too. I have one set for circuit boards, one for 12 gauge wires, and one for servo leads.

If you are only going to be using it on occasion, then just about any 60+ watt soldering iron will work.

bill_delong 01-09-2018 05:54 PM

Doesn't really matter what brand you get, any 50W+ iron will do just fine, however it's VERY important that you get an iron with a chisel tip, because you need more surface area to heat up the wire properly... there are many brands of tips out there too. I'm using a cheapo $15 iron (50W) that I got from RadioShack about 8 years ago, and the tip that came with it was junk, I simply replaced it with a TENMA chisel tip and that tip has been doing great for the past 3+ years! I solder up to 10AWG no sweat.

Before I found the TENMA tip, I used to file the original tips, but no longer do that, here's a sample of the iron using 10AWG to see what to expect:

Kitsune 01-14-2018 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by i8tweety (Post 12396669)
Are you going to be soldering on a regular basis or a once in a while event?

If you are going to be using it regularly, I recommend the Weller WD102. It's the one I purchased after much research. As a 95W soldering iron, you will not lose tip temperature when soldering larger wires keeping the time you are applying heat to the objects you are soldering to a minimum. It also has a digital readout telling you the soldering iron temperature (you specify the temperature you want and it holds it there). There are 3 programmable temperature buttons too. I have one set for circuit boards, one for 12 gauge wires, and one for servo leads.

If you are only going to be using it on occasion, then just about any 60+ watt soldering iron will work.

Yeah, I've had the Weller WD 102 for a number of years, and think it's a great iron too. A little on the pricey side around $300, but if you do a lot of soldering, it could be worth it. Hakko makes some good soldering stations too. The FX-888D is a great iron too, and closer to the $100 mark.

bartenational 08-12-2021 07:59 AM

if you can dial in a temp, what temp works best? I need to upgrade to something nicer

08rangerdan 08-23-2021 03:54 AM

harbour freight or princess auto where i am sells el cheapo dial adjustable soldering irons (pencil types) for under $20 they are hot enough for stained glass work and Ive been using them for rc related needs for decades. pretty sure it is only a 40watt iron and im sure 60 watts and more is available

errol09 09-12-2022 02:40 AM

A good soldering station should be ESD-safe and give accurate temperature control. Design should be ergonomic to avoid fatigue during hand soldering. What soldering iron Do professionals use?

Propworn 09-12-2022 10:24 AM

I don't bother with a solder station for heavy work I find the tips are to small to hold the heat. Try picking up an iron they use for stained glass work.