RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   If I can get my hands on a team associated 10b4 new for sub 100$ should I? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11645511-if-i-can-get-my-hands-team-associated-10b4-new-sub-100%24-should-i.html)

Play4Fun 03-18-2018 09:42 PM

If I can get my hands on a team associated 10b4 new for sub 100$ should I?

My buddy has a team associated rc10b4 he used a few times and forgot about. If I can get it for less then 100 usd should I? My worry is there will be no replacemeant parts when I break it or do the newer model parts work for it ?

i8tweety 03-19-2018 05:34 AM

There will be parts for the RC10B4 for several years to come.

collector1231 03-19-2018 10:37 AM

Is it the Factory Team or the RTR model? I'd say go for it if its the Factory Team, and if its the RTR, look for an old B5 on eBay. The RTR models have undersized shocks and arms which make it harder to drive.

RustyUs 03-19-2018 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by Play4Fun (Post 12414096)
My buddy has a team associated rc10b4 he used a few times and forgot about. If I can get it for less then 100 usd should I? My worry is there will be no replacemeant parts when I break it or do the newer model parts work for it ?

All depends on condition and what's included. Is it a B4, B4.1, or B4.2? If you are planning to race on a high bite track, then I think you would be better off with a newer mid motor platform to be somewhat on the same playing field as everyone else. If just bashing, or running on a loose dirt low/medium grip track the B4 be holding it's own. Team Associated has always had great parts support for their vehicles after a model has been discontinued. I would expect to see parts for a B4 well into the 2020's.

Originally Posted by collector1231 (Post 12414221)
Is it the Factory Team or the RTR model? I'd say go for it if its the Factory Team, and if its the RTR, look for an old B5 on eBay. The RTR models have undersized shocks and arms which make it harder to drive.

What are undersized shocks? :confused::D Just messin' with ya.

Play4Fun 03-19-2018 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by RustyUs (Post 12414267)
All depends on condition and what's included. Is it a B4, B4.1, or B4.2? If you are planning to race on a high bite track, then I think you would be better off with a newer mid motor platform to be somewhat on the same playing field as everyone else. If just bashing, or running on a loose dirt low/medium grip track the B4 be holding it's own. Team Associated has always had great parts support for their vehicles after a model has been discontinued. I would expect to see parts for a B4 well into the 2020's.

He originally told me it was the original b4 but he went into his attic and checked for me. Its a b4.2 in perfect condition only used 3 times. Im semi new to the hobby. About a year now. I haven't got into racing yet just bashing but might start idk. I can upgrade the shocks. He doesnt use it so I think I can get it for less then 100$ as I have giving him stuff in the past.

collector1231 03-19-2018 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by RustyUs (Post 12414267)

I can't tell if thats sarcasm or not... LOL

To any inquiring minds though, its because of the bore size of the RTR shocks is super small and the buggy will constantly bottom out over most jumps, which then leads to motor shifting and ruined spurs. That's my experience at least!

RustyUs 03-20-2018 02:50 PM

I must be an idiot, 'cause I just ordered another set of Associated's RTR super small bore shocks for replacement of problematic DTX shock :p.

To go out and "bash" a 1/10 scale buggy in an off-road environment takes a special mindset. You have to go into it knowing that you have limited suspension travel, and can't be driving in gnarly stuff like what a monster truck/truggy can handle. Having great motor mounting screws has a lot to do with preventing movement of motor after a harsh chassis slap. Jumping a buggy five feet into the air with no down ramp is just asking for trouble. Finding the limits of a buggy, and suspension tuning are needed for conditions of bashing. I don't know how anyone made it all these years with small bore shocks :confused:.

collector1231 03-20-2018 03:51 PM

I raced my B4.1, I did never bash it. Everyone at the track said the small-bore shocks were horrible with the heavy stick-pack, and landing flat off of a tabletop is suicide for those shocks. Trying a Factory Team B4.1 (exact same as mine minus the shocks after mine was upgraded) felt a lot better and more controllable off the jump. Hard chassis slaps mean motor movement. I know what I know.

vinmansbrew 03-21-2018 05:35 AM

I'd buy it, but then Associated is quality stuff, not like the plethora of stuff out there that is break and toss stuff. I still have my old rc10, and I mean the 6 gear model, and I have beat it hard. The stuff holds up well. As for shocks, who cares if they are narrow. What, they can't be replaced with other TA shocks? Of course they can. What shocks it has are a non-issue.