RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   New Old Timer Needs Advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11675630-new-old-timer-needs-advice.html)

Turbo Tuco 02-23-2020 09:59 AM

New Old Timer Needs Advice

I used to race RC trucks more than 20 years ago. I had 1/10 scale 4wd and 2wd. I gave away all my stuff to a neighbor kid about 15 years ago. I have a big back yard (lawn mostly) and I want to build a track and get a couple of cars / trucks to race. I want something that is pretty fast (30mph) and durable for jumps etc. I really have no idea what to look for. Is it better to buy the radio and batteries separate from the car kit? Are there packages that are good that have everything I need? I actually like to build the cars, so one that is not assembled would be preferred. Im not sure how much dollars all this would cost for a decent truck and necessary supplies.

bill_delong 02-23-2020 04:18 PM

Hey Turbo,

Welcome back to the hobby!

A lot has changed over the past 15 years, and I think it would be wise to build a kit, I guess you should first pick a class and then we can help narrow down your choices from there, here's a thread that will help you get started to look over some current brands to consider:
Which 1/10 4WD SCT is best?

If you want to get into 1/10 Buggy/Mini-Truggy, then take a look at PR:Some more threads that be be helpful:
Which electronics are best?
Tools for the Pit Table

funcentric 04-18-2020 10:35 PM

After your post, I'm starting to feel like an old timer myself. I got back into the hobby after a 15 year break too after becoming a dad. The DHK Zombie is highly praised and has a bare bones version where you supply your own electronics if that's what you're looking for. It's priced around the $200's. $330-360 or so with electronics included. Parts support is decent from what I hear, better than the ZD Racing Pirates series (1, 2 or 3).

A budget 1/10 scale is the ZD racing 9106, aka 10427 or ZMT-10. $135-180, the current S model being the pricier of that range. However, it's had many reported issues of faulty differentials that need constant replacements at $5 a pop. Not big on price, but if it really needs to be replaced that regularly, it may become a hassle.

mugeyman 04-19-2020 05:05 AM

hi turbo ,bill , funcentric to have your own backyard track will be nice so you want something fast and will hold up jumping turning on grass dirt astro turf and hard pack clay most of the r/c racers all over the planet are purchasing 1/10 scale 4wd and 2wd tekno , xray team associated losi , shumacher serpent , in the 1/8 scale tekno ,mugen xray team associated losi kyosho these vehicles will go easily 35 mph plus , the quality of the plastic and aluminum is very good and hold up well parts are quite available on line and some hobby shop or racing centers 1/10 scale will is ok on some grass because the grass drags on the chassis and slow vehicle down , 4wd is easier to drive than 2wd all these are kits you build and set up for racing and or bashing buggies and trucks electric , 1/8 scale elecrtic and nitro buggy and trucks , radios you will want a good radio system like futaba , or sanwa , spectrum , these have a lot of parameters in them to help you drive the buggy or trucks , stores AMAIN HOBBY,COM , NITROHOUSE .COM , TOWERHOBBIES .COM mugey
i m running 1/10 scale xray xb4 team associated b64 1/8 scale mugen mbx7r and tekno eb 4.2 hope i helped ok mugey

funcentric 04-21-2020 07:25 AM

Good point, yes 4WD preferred. I wouldn't want it any other way.

bill_delong 04-21-2020 07:49 AM

I don't race 2WD anymore, they tend to be more difficult to tune and are limited to high traction surface conditions, plus they tend to wear tires more quickly making them the most expensive class to run.

4WD is far more forgiving offering a wider range of track conditions, basically "point and shoot" with less focus on throttle control :)