RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Looking to return after almost 15year need advice (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11679816-looking-return-after-almost-15year-need-advice.html)

lovebunny_608 06-19-2020 04:49 AM

Looking to return after almost 15year need advice

I did rc cars from 1986-2006 had over 20 cars when i quit. I was board so i dug in my storge building to find somthing to do. I found most of my old rc cars.I tried my old Traxxas Stampede with quark monster pro esc and feigao brushless motor(it was my favorite rc).To my surprise it still worked !!! I also found Kyosho Inferno mp7.5 with a Novarosssi 21-7bt, old 2.5r Revo(would been my fav if not nitro), RC10T2 and about 10 others Rc's.
My question is i got $1200 to send and did not know if it was worth it to buy a new Rc or spend the money on getting the old ones to run and update the electronics ? Are the new cars alot better? I been looking at so of the newer RC's on youtube today and i like the Xmaxx, TRX-4(not got a good place to drive it,but love the idea),Traxxas Summit(looks like a better Revo to me).What about these Arrma cars never heard of that brand, but they look nice?I am open to any other suggestions ,but want to stay electric this time and 4wd.

bill_delong 06-20-2020 06:23 AM

I would get rid of all the cars that no longer have parts support or have been discontinued... maybe keep a favorite for a shelf queen perhaps?

ARRMA is a solid brand if you want to stick with RTR, otherwise I would highly recommend the TEKNO MT410 if you want the ultimate basher.

Welcome back and Good Luck!

lovebunny_608 06-20-2020 03:15 PM

Thanks will take a look at that TEKNO MT410. Kit is fine don't need RTR. When i started kits was all their was back then lol.

Jeremy Z 07-01-2020 10:05 PM

They make several versions of electric E-Revos now. They're similar to your Revo. (based on it, actually) It shares some parts with your Revo and you can convert it, but it's probably not worth the effort though. I'd sell the nitro models cheap on Facebook Marketplace or Craigslist, help raise some money for modern electrics. (nitro is dying, as brushless + LiPo electric easily outperforms it nowadays, with no hassle)

Keep the Stampede and RC10T2, for sure. Get some modern electronics in them. It doesn't have to be fancy, it can be rescued electronics from ebay. For example, some people will buy a new ready-to-run truck, but they want to use their fancy transmitter, so they strip the stock radio system and re-sell it brand new to help offset the cost of the fancy receiver.

Stampedes are nice because they're so simple and very rugged. They can go about anywhere. the RC10T2 will be more limited, obviously. These days, they have Titan 12T motors that are faster than the old 18 or 21T motors. Going brushless is an option, but you'll need new tires, as yours are probably old and hard. Won't be able to keep traction without a careful trigger finger.

The Summit shares components with the E-Revo. You could build a Summit into a (heavy) E-Revo, but to do it the other way would be tough. The Summit is a go-anywhere vehicle. It has a two-speed transmission and differentials that lock a couple different ways. So if you go to low speed, then lock the diffs, it can do rock crawling. Unlock the diffs and go to high speed, and it is a fun all-around truck.

My Summit is my favorite vehicle. The only thing it doesn't do well is corner, but that's due to the soft suspension and high CoG that makes it do everything else so well.

Some of the old Tamiyas are collectible now, maybe you can make a buck selling them. (they break easily anyhow...)

lovebunny_608 07-02-2020 03:25 AM

Thanks Jeremy Z that was great help.

Yeah in need new tires on all of them they busted as soon as i squeezed them. I have 3 feigao brushless seansorless motors from back in the day, but need a new esc the old one is acting up the more run it, afraid it is going to mess the new batteries i bought up. Most the radios work but most esc's i got don't.

I am thinking i will buy a xmaxx and a better esc for it and ues the stock one to run the feigao motor in my stampede if it will work.

I do have some tamiya rc's ,but they been hacked up (was trying to make new chassis out of them back then) and broken. so probably worth nothing lol

Jeremy Z 07-02-2020 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by lovebunny_608 (Post 12615110)
Thanks Jeremy Z that was great help.

Yeah in need new tires on all of them they busted as soon as i squeezed them. I have 3 feigao brushless seansorless motors from back in the day, but need a new esc the old one is acting up the more run it, afraid it is going to mess the new batteries i bought up. Most the radios work but most esc's i got don't.

Capacitors probably went bad. Bummer.

I am thinking i will buy a xmaxx and a better esc for it
Have you seen an X-Maxx in the plastic yet? They are BIG, probably 1/7 or 1/6 scale. You're not going to be able to run it just anywhere. They need hundreds of dollars worth of batteries, esp. if you want a spare set. I ran mine on 4S and was pretty happy, but now folks are running 8S. They had issues with the ESC of the first model (the one I had) and did kind of a ghetto fix by adding a resistor, but now they've re-designed the ESC and fixed it properly. (to my understanding)
That said, it was really good to run in a grassy field, where smaller-tired models were slowed down a lot more.

and ues the stock one to run the feigao motor in my stampede if it will work.
That's a huge overkill for a Stampede, since a Stampede would never need more than 3S. (three series LiPo cells) My advice is to start with the stock ESC, if you get the X-Maxx, and keep in mind that Traxxas will support you if it goes bad. (as long as you don't hack anything up, hehehe) That's part of why Traxxas is expensive these days. They support their customers with a good help line, parts available everywhere, etc. They just don't want to pay for your learning mistakes, since their engineers have already done it. My biggest beef with them is they make these batteries with a proprietary plug that cost twice as much as one with the same spec from Gens Ace or something. Then, if you save money and improve by wiring on another plug (I like EC5), it voids your warranty. On the other hand, if you DO buy their battery and charger, they are plug 'n play, and are of good quality.

One thing to look for: Most of us are using Lithium Polymer battery packs now. They are MUCH more volatile than the NiMH and NiCad we used back in the day. They have to be charged a certain way, discharged a certain way and stored a certain way or they will start a fire. But the performance is SO much better than NiMH that we put up with it. (double the energy density and at least double the discharge current to power the vehicle) It's to the point now where most folks don't choose nitro or gas when they're starting out. When we were doing it in the 80s, nitro was what the fast guys ran, but not any more. Now, it's just for nostalgia and people who like the noise, smell, and extra work. ;)

lovebunny_608 07-02-2020 07:19 AM

I think the xmaxx is the one for me.I have not seen one in person, no local hobby shops. been watching Kevin Talbot youtube and like what i see in the xmaxx . i got 8 acres of field and the grass is hard on my stampede.

i ran li-poly battery in 2000-2006 they was for helicopter 3s , but we use then in cars with our burshless airplane,boat inner runner motors (that's what the feigao motors are). Ran 3s in stampede and (2) 2s in series (i dont think was 4s packs then) in the rc10t2. I rember a guy i work with brought his rc10gt (nitro) and i when around him so fast he thought something as a wrong with his truck. he just could not believe electric was that fast back then lol.

i bet the caps are bad in the old esc. (Electrolytic cap don't age well)(i got a degree in electronics in 1995, but never used it except for my hobbies).

i will be replacing all connectors with deans ultra plugs. (2 reasons its what is on my chargers(yes, li-poly) and i still got unopened packs of them lol). so good by traxxas warranty(maybe make some adapters).

Jeremy Z 07-02-2020 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by lovebunny_608 (Post 12615176)
i will be replacing all connectors with deans ultra plugs. (2 reasons its what is on my chargers(yes, li-poly) and i still got unopened packs of them lol). so good by traxxas warranty(maybe make some adapters).

OK, it sounds like you have some LiPo experience; that's good.

Not Deans though. They're not going to handle the kind of current an X-Maxx needs. I recommend EC5, they're keyed gold bullet connectors, and I think they cost about the same as Deans.

lovebunny_608 07-02-2020 12:13 PM

Thanks for the tip on the deans. Didn't think about the power of 8s thats like 4x the power of 4s and i think they was only 15 or 20c batterys back then.

lovebunny_608 07-06-2020 04:50 PM

Thanks for the help. i ordered a X-Maxx.

Jeremy Z 07-06-2020 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by lovebunny_608 (Post 12616154)
Thanks for the help. i ordered a X-Maxx.

Congratulations, you'll love it. Get a couple of high current 4S packs ordered. If you want to go fast, you can, and if not, you'll use less current to go the regular speeds.