RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   First time lipo battery! Help! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/11680963-first-time-lipo-battery-help.html)

Persian Empire 07-25-2020 08:16 AM

First time lipo battery! Help!

Alright I know by now that a lipo will lead to the fire of my house. So I've read and watched many videos about these batteries and I've still got problems.
I've recently purchased a 1/8 scale brushless buggy.
It comes with a lipo battery and no charger.
So as I'm typing, the rc car has not come yet.
Just tell me how to use this properly and safely.
I have attached pictures of the same battery and charger.
I will be getting this charger as it is the cheap one.
Don't recommend other chargers thanks.
So the battery is a Voltz 3200mah 2s hard case lipo.
The charger is a Imax B3.
So when the used rc car with its used battery comes. Do I just plug it in the charger and charge till full?
Then when I've run the car and the charge finishes do I just unplug and leave it?
Like I will store the battery in a lipo fire bag.
Just tell me thanks.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...17ec288ce8.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...13aa56b2ec.jpg

bill_delong 07-25-2020 04:54 PM

Be sure to read the directions that come with the charger!

I believe you simply plug the balance port of the battery into the charger, it should light up red to indicate that it's charging, and will turn green when it's fully charged. Be sure that LVC (low voltage cutoff) is enabled for your ESC and always run your car to LVC, that will be a safe voltage for storage. Keep the battery in a cool dry place, LiPo bag inside your home would be safe, like a utility room.

Which 1/8 Buggy did you get? Many RTR's will require 3S or 4S for 1/8 buggy, but if your goal is for reduced speed on 2S, then that's perfectly fine.

At some point, you should consider investing in a charger that can give you IR (internal resistance) readings on your battery. This will tell you how healthy the cells are... over time the pack will start to swell and you have no idea what the IR is, then you'll be playing Russian Roulette if you don't replace the battery when the IR goes way too high :(

More info here:
Which charger is the best?

Good Luck!

RustyUs 07-26-2020 07:41 AM

I had a few of those similar B3 chargers that came with my ZD Racing ZRT-1 RTR truggies. It will take hours to charge even a 2S LiPo pack, and if you are using one charger to charge two 2S packs to run in a 1/8 scale platform...half your day is spent waiting for one run.

When I got my truggies, I had other chargers at the time, but was curious as to what power output the included chargers had. Mine was about 11 watts from what I remember; I only used the B3-ish charger once to know most people will chuck the charger into the corner only to collect dust.

Sorry.

Jeremy Z 07-28-2020 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Persian Empire (Post 12620223)
Alright I know by now that a lipo will lead to the fire of my house. So I've read and watched many videos about these batteries and I've still got problems.
I've recently purchased a 1/8 scale brushless buggy.
It comes with a lipo battery and no charger.
So as I'm typing, the rc car has not come yet.
Just tell me how to use this properly and safely.
I have attached pictures of the same battery and charger.
I will be getting this charger as it is the cheap one.
Don't recommend other chargers thanks.

So the battery is a Voltz 3200mah 2s hard case lipo.
The charger is a Imax B3.
So when the used rc car with its used battery comes. Do I just plug it in the charger and charge till full?
Then when I've run the car and the charge finishes do I just unplug and leave it?
Like I will store the battery in a lipo fire bag.
Just tell me thanks.

I don't really like your tone. It's like you're giving a command instead of asking for help, and you're not really open to the safe answer if it goes against your current plan. (bolded, above)

So why not just follow your current plan and see what happens. Jerk.

Persian Empire 07-30-2020 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by Jeremy Z (Post 12620979)
I don't really like your tone. It's like you're giving a command instead of asking for help, and you're not really open to the safe answer if it goes against your current plan. (bolded, above)

I don't know what I have done wrong. I'm not used to forums so instead of threatening me why don't you just inform me with respect? My intention is to get help, not to command people. I mean why the hell would I omcommand people to help me if I already know that people here are respectful and kind enough to help me? Your message is full of cringe not going to lie especially the use of the word jerk. Surely you are in the USA, and I would rather you minimise the usage of that word as it really damages your appearance. Grow up, and show some respect. It is to the people with your characters that have caused violence and negative impact on this world.

Persian Empire 07-30-2020 01:43 AM

And also, the reason I have written it in bold and in this way, is because this is not a normal matter. This is my first time having a lipo battery and it is a very dangerous case for me if I do not know the precautions and usage. It is also a very damaging matter to the rc community here. I wrote the parts in bold so they can see what the problem is that I'm really trying to get answers about. I hope you understand. And next time don't even bother replying to my threads. I'm sure there are a lot more respectful and kind people out there willing to enjoy and spread the remote control fun. Thanks.

Big Alice 07-30-2020 10:06 AM

It sounds more like English isn't his first language to me. Maybe you're being the jerk here.

Jeremy Z 08-04-2020 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Big Alice (Post 12621286)
It sounds more like English isn't his first language to me. Maybe you're being the jerk here.

Yeah, maybe I read too much into it. My apologies.

SkyersJet 09-09-2020 03:11 PM

It would usually arrive at 30% or so so yes you'd have to charge it up first