RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Drying times of Tamiya poly spray? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/3057392-drying-times-tamiya-poly-spray.html)

Mad Wax 06-09-2005 11:18 AM

Drying times of Tamiya poly spray?

What's the recommended length of drying time for Tamiya Polycarbonate spray between coats?

snowbl!nd 06-09-2005 04:55 PM

RE: Drying times of Tamiya poly spray?

I believe a properly sprayed coat (nice and fine) from any polycarbonate spray paint (that is the stuff for lexan right?!?) is between 15-20 minutes. It may vary according to ambient temperature and other factors. Just make sure the first coat has dried before you apply a second.

Mad Wax 06-09-2005 05:12 PM

Cheers. I've just done one thin coat, still very translucent. I reckon it'll need 4 or 5 more coats, perhaps more. This stuff really stinks, luckily I have a fume/gas respirator..couldn't smell any solvent smell. :D Spraying should be pretty fool proof? I hand painted my previous inside poly body with flair pot paint and you couldn't see any brushmarks and a decent finish.

[link=http://www.surfspot.co.uk/acatalog/3m_4251.jpg]mask[/link]

I don't think parents would be happy doing another coat at 11pm, stinks the house out. ;) I'll do two coats tom. AM and PM, with a few hours gap between.

snowbl!nd 06-10-2005 05:17 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Post some pics when you are finished.
Just for kicks, here is my first attempt at spraying a shell. Used three colours and masked using masking tape for the borders. This took ages. I cant take all the credit however, my dad did all the actual spraying (he use to do bodywork on real cars so this was nothing too him...), but the actual design and masking were all done by myself. I think it came out nicely, there was very little "bleed". I noticed afterwards that it would have looked much better if i had sprayed the spoiler black, and continued the blue "fat stripe" past the rear window. Oh well.

Before and after pics...

Mad Wax 06-10-2005 06:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm just doing a single colour for body & exhaust, then when finished fit a few small stickers from rc online, and at least cut out a round hole on the front windows. Won't fit too many stickers, flames etc (looks tacky) I've done two more coats today (so total of three) first can almost used up- colour coverage getting there, but still a bit translucent. So I think the second can should be enough.

Pic of mid-sprayed body, as you can see the cardboard is still visible through the nose.

Ahab 06-10-2005 07:54 AM

I have read about serious 1:1 custom car sprayers being obsessed with spraying a second coat just before the first coat drys so that there is a good bond between the layers pf paint on the car - should you pay that sort of attention with lexan paint? will it make any difference or would it be overkill?

what about backing colours? - if I am going for a single colour shell, do I need to back it? if so how do I choose the backing colour?

Mad Wax 06-10-2005 08:42 AM

You spray a silver final last coat for metallic finish, and a white for neon, but I have no idea if you need to spray a coat of another colour for standard paint colours. I guess some kind of thick flexible paint could be used to at least protect the coats underneath from scratches appearing through the finish? Maybe some rubber or gum type thing?[sm=confused.gif]

snowbl!nd 06-10-2005 10:14 AM

You can get cans of something (cant remember exactly what its called) which protect the paint underneath from scratches and nitro fuel. You just spray it on the finished paint job and it creates a barrier, protecting the paint.

Ahab 06-10-2005 10:39 AM

well just got back from my LHS (actualy helpful and informative - 2nd time in a row, I *may" consider revoking my current "avoid like the plague" status on the place.. but I digress).

I picked up a can of metallic blue Kustom Color, a can of Silver (to back the blue) and a can of window tint. the guy in there also said silver backing for metallic, and white for everything else. he also recomended heating the body up on the radiator before applying the window tint as the warmer shell helps the paint to dry without streaks.

Mad Wax 06-10-2005 10:55 AM

hey just finished painting, both cans used up. Covered well enough I reckon, you can see through when the body is put up to the light, but when it's on the car good solid colour.

99% happy with my spray job, couple of small splutter spots but can hardly see them, and consider probably going to get bashed a bit no point having a "showroomer" :-) .. one in the radiator area so could always put a FG sticker there.

Just letting it dry thourougly and will post a picture. :D