RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   HASBRO MAKING NITRO CARS!?!?!?! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/4494469-hasbro-making-nitro-cars.html)

ElToroLoco. 07-12-2006 07:17 PM

HASBRO MAKING NITRO CARS!?!?!?!

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/news.cfm?news_id=250]http://www.rcuniverse.com/news.cfm?news_id=250[/link]
wow, since when do toy makers that sell beyblades and games make nitro cars?

I dont expect them to be great products from the start, but they are dirt cheap.

POST YOUR OPINIONS ON THIS HERE!

-Inverted- 07-12-2006 07:52 PM

RE: HASBRO MAKING NITRO CARS!?!?!?!

Wow, I didn't think it was possible to steep lower then the ebay nitro cars, but apparently I was wrong. LOL 25mph....how impressive. :eek:

boltech 07-12-2006 08:00 PM

I would not count them out yet... maybe they will be great cars...they won't be racers but if they are anything like smartechs with a few key part upgrades they can be very decent cars...not top of the line but decent bashers. and these days companies branch out into new territory all the time. they make what they want and where they are lacking they buy a smaller company that specializes in what they are lacking. I wonder who Hasbro bought out, or bought patents from?

As for Hasbro if the cars really take off then a new company under the Hasbro name may be spawned. kind of like how Mattel spawned forth Nintendo. only time will tell. and hopefully they will have lots of hopups.

if the price is really that low I *may* pick up one and strip it down to get a good look at it. maybe improve upon it.
worst case it will be crap and I'll give it to my Nephew.

ORIGINAL: GT RACERMAN

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/news.cfm?news_id=250]http://www.rcuniverse.com/news.cfm?news_id=250[/link]
wow, since when do toy makers that sell beyblades and games make nitro cars?

I dont expect them to be great products from the start, but they are dirt cheap.

TheLinkster 07-12-2006 08:03 PM

Theres going to be tons of recalls because of kids burning their self and so on and so forth.
Think of all the Nitro fires that there will be. lol
[EDIT] Ok a 16 year old is not a kid (Im not even 16 yet) but they people buying them will most likely not have any knowledge of Nitro.

boltech 07-12-2006 08:05 PM

I would not call a 16 year old a kid...

ORIGINAL: tzero

Theres going to be tons of recalls because of kids burning their self and so on and so forth.

boltech 07-12-2006 08:07 PM

then again if a parent buys an 8 year old a Nitro RC and leaves them unattended with it and nitro fuel, well lets just say I don't think they should be having kids....

-Inverted- 07-12-2006 08:11 PM

This whole concept scares me. Think about it logically, this is just the kind of event that may very well lead to the outlaw of RC. Kids with nitro's destroying property, causing damage, deaths from mistreatment, swallowing nitro fuel, burning down houses; the possibilities are endless. Anybody else agree?

boltech 07-12-2006 08:13 PM

They haven't outlawed the honda civic yet! You need to watch the Toronto news! :D

ORIGINAL: -Inverted-

This whole concept scares me. Think about it logically, this is just the kind of event that may very well lead to the outlaw of RC. Kids with nitro's destroying property, causing damage, deaths from mistreatment, swallowing nitro fuel, burning down houses; the possibilities are endless. Anybody else agree?

boltech 07-12-2006 08:15 PM

but I do see your point... keeping RC's out of the mainstream keeps them out of the sights of bleeding heart politicians

michelob78 07-12-2006 08:17 PM

There could only be good things that come out of this. A major company like Hasbro getting involved in the hobby has many benefits. For one other manufacturers will feel the pinch, sure they are not race oriented but bashers keep the hobby going and if newcomers want to try out RC they are going to do so at less cost. That will keep other companies from inflating their prices, since they don't want to price themselves right out of competition. It would also be pretty cool to run down to Wal-Mart and grab a gallon of nitro........ I don't think it would hurt the hobby shops any worse than the internet.

As for the danger.........that goes with anything really. That's why companies have disclaimers.

boltech 07-12-2006 08:23 PM

Is that even possible??? aside from ingesting fuel

-Inverted- 07-12-2006 08:26 PM

Depends on what is done and the situation.

boltech 07-12-2006 08:26 PM

maybe a 9.99 gallon jug of fuel? the question is how good will it be?

boltech 07-12-2006 08:29 PM

would make for an interesting read then.. i can only see badly pinched fingers at most

Depends on what is done and the situation.

michelob78 07-12-2006 08:30 PM

Hard to say..... Depends who Hasbro out-sources makung the fuel to. Too many guesses right now.

They sell airsoft rifles at wal-mart, surely one could say they are as dangerous as a nitro RC. All hasbro has to do is recommend them for 16+ age and warn of the dangers of mis-use

-Inverted- 07-12-2006 08:40 PM

All hasbro has to do is recommend them for 16+ age and warn of the dangers of mis-use
Yes, but cigarettes are for ages 18 and older and warn of the dangers, yet theres thousands of underage smokers. Mature games are for kids 17+ yet you see 9 year olds playing grand theft auto, if you see what im saying.

livindead 07-12-2006 08:41 PM

im thinking heavy super strong plastic...most likely a good intro car that will give noob the basic idea but not all the perfomance that comes with the heavy price tag that we are used to....replacement parts are likely but not so much on hopups...i mean i doubt hasbro is gonna start machining alloy ..and if the aftermarket doesnt pick it up then hopups are not gonna happen...i think its a good thing ...i mean hook em for cheap then they start lookin at magazines and eventualy move up to bigger and better things....but they come in with a little knowlage of how to tune and stuff like that.....beside its gotta be better than the nikko puff of crap i starter with...dont ya think

boltech 07-12-2006 08:50 PM

The blame for all that falls primarily on lackluster parenting. The rest of society often pays for the actions of a few lazy parents.
- Politicians want to ban mature games because of underaged gamers. well someone is giving the underaged the money for these games. and allowing them to be played in their homes.

- How can parents keep their kids from smoking if they won't stop smoking.

same point different perspective.

Yes, but cigarettes are for ages 18 and older and warn of the dangers, yet theres thousands of underage smokers. Mature games are for kids 17+ yet you see 9 year olds playing grand theft auto, if you see what im saying.

boltech 07-12-2006 08:54 PM

it will be interesting to see what engine they use in these cars. The thick tonka plastic may be a given
will it be pull or ez start?

Raylon 07-12-2006 09:19 PM

I have no probs with Hasbro making cars, but the thing that scares me is that they will be selling it at Wal-Mart. I have a feeling that there will be no support for parts when the the things DO break. So many people are going to think "Hey, a fun little car", and get themselves way over their heads. Or parents just go and buying these things not knowing what they are scares me also. Boltech also has a very good point. This will put RC cars into the mainstream, and damn politicians will start taking note of how dangerous they are, or say because one guy's Nitro car blew, they all will and have to be outlawed.

livindead 07-12-2006 10:05 PM

iraq,,korea,,the price of fuel...and just gobs of other crap that we dont even know about....not to mention elections are comming the government is a little bussy at the moment....i dont think that [unless it becomes epidemic that rc cars start killing people] they will find much time for a few kids that burn them selfs on a hot cooling head.....besides hasbro has most likley put heat sheilds and guards on every thing that gets hot or could hurt any one real bad....unless of course the butthole terrorist start doin evil crap with them...then we might have something to worry about

dracohowe 07-12-2006 10:13 PM

lol some kid is gonna open it christmas night and start running his r/c in the house lol.

Raylon 07-12-2006 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: livindead

iraq,,korea,,the price of fuel...and just gobs of other crap that we dont even know about....not to mention elections are comming the government is a little bussy at the moment....i dont think that [unless it becomes epidemic that rc cars start killing people] they will find much time for a few kids that burn them selfs on a hot cooling head.....besides hasbro has most likley put heat sheilds and guards on every thing that gets hot or could hurt any one real bad....unless of course the butthole terrorist start doin evil crap with them...then we might have something to worry about
If you haven't noticed, not to bash ourgovernment, it's pretty messed up on its priorities. I just saw on the news the the NSA had on its places that are at risk for terrorist strike was an Amish village. They will go after any and everything just to get themselves higher up.

Crimson_Ghost 07-12-2006 10:21 PM

when these come out i can picture many children running then off of roofs,
Ill stick with my rusty.:D

Dawman 07-12-2006 11:07 PM

The thing I`m worried about is there are parents these days that give kids games, toys, and etc. that are for older teens and wonder why there are problems later on . I can see someone buying one of these for a 8 year old and hurting themselves or others like Inverted said . As for parts support , ya right . It will be just like the cheap Walmart/radio shack crap that can`t be fixed . They will be disposable rcs as I call them . I hope Hasbro does good with these , but hope the certain parents don`t ruin it . It only takes one politicians under aged kid to get hurt from one and it will be all over .