RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Home made nitro cleaner question. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/6164164-home-made-nitro-cleaner-question.html)

Nick2618 07-27-2007 03:52 PM

Home made nitro cleaner question.

I did a search on the forum and did not find any recipes to make it. Any ways i found this through google.

Homemade nitro cleaner You can make your nitro-car cleaner easily and affordably by mixing two parts denatured alcohol with one part Simple Green. Store the cleaner inside a pump spray bottle, and top off the brew with a capful of WD-40. Be sure to shake the bottle before every application because the solvents separate over time. One gallon of denatured alcohol and a 2-liter bottle of Simple Green will make enough nitro cleaner to last months.
Dose this sound like a good mix? Just wanted some opions before i went and sprayed some random stuff on my rc car. :D

guver 07-27-2007 04:16 PM

RE: Home made nitro cleaner question.

I'm getting tired of buying motor spray and it may be real similar to nitro cleaner. I use quite a bit and it's pretty expensive. It would be nice to buy a generic cleaner, but I sure like it in aerosol cans.

Ingredients are some hexane, propane, ect.

(X) 07-27-2007 05:12 PM

I got an even cheaper alternative, don't clean it! ;)

What you running btw?

I got a Savage X, it looks better dirty :D

Dokioto 07-27-2007 06:13 PM

nick2618, I don't know if that mix will work or not, but you might want to try to make a small batch and test it. Post up, on how it works (interested).

Danju 07-27-2007 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: nick2618

I did a search on the forum and did not find any recipes to make it. Any ways i found this through google.

Homemade nitro cleaner You can make your nitro-car cleaner easily and affordably by mixing two parts denatured alcohol with one part Simple Green. Store the cleaner inside a pump spray bottle, and top off the brew with a capful of WD-40. Be sure to shake the bottle before every application because the solvents separate over time. One gallon of denatured alcohol and a 2-liter bottle of Simple Green will make enough nitro cleaner to last months.
Dose this sound like a good mix? Just wanted some opions before i went and sprayed some random stuff on my rc car. :D

yup you got that info in one of those rc mags i have...either car action or driver....forgot.

nothinbetr2do 07-27-2007 07:32 PM

yes it'll work, but you need an air compresser to blow it off. to get the best results

Nick2618 07-28-2007 01:11 AM

i found the recipe on this site http://csgbenefits.org/mgt/pit_tips.htm.

I like to keep my truck some what clean and at the very least just use it to spary down the engine. If i plan on keep it dirty of a couple of days. Like i am currently going to do. :D

BTW its a jato and i went to walmart just now and got the denatured alchol so i will try it. :D

Nitro212 07-28-2007 04:35 AM

um.. but don't you need it to be compressed so the pressure can remove stuff? dirt ect :/

91litesho 07-30-2007 03:56 PM

that formula generally works best for those who have acess to compressed air. however, with a lil paint brush to agitate and a good spray bottle that u can get a good stream out of will work to.

kdz76 07-30-2007 08:37 PM

to do the pressurization thing go to home depot or Lowes and get the small 1 gallon outdoor sprayer they have a few different tips and do develop a descent amount of power plus your hand wont cramp

91litesho 07-30-2007 08:42 PM

u know u can get them in quart size too, walmart even has em for like 8 bux. we use them alot for detail work

texaschilidog 07-30-2007 11:24 PM

Denatured alchol solvent alone worked fine for me,
but I did have access to a compressor at the track.
Didnt want to get the 2nd truck dirty too!

IBrakeForNobody 07-31-2007 12:05 AM

I'd have to say that a $100 Craftsman 3 gallon air compressor is probably the best RC investment I've made.

Nick2618 08-01-2007 09:11 PM

well i tried out the mixture and it worked pretty well. I do not have air compressor so i used a pain bresh, q-tips, and paper towels. It actually worked pretty good. It left no residue on the plastic parts but i did notice some on the alum chassis. My air filter came off my truck while i was bashing in the dirt so i ripped the engine down and suprisingly there was not really any dirt in there. So i used the cleaner on the inside of the engine. I seemed to work good there also. I then rinsed it with nitro fuel and ARO.

So there is my "review" of that mixture.

BuzzBomber 08-02-2007 10:16 AM

The problem I had using that exact mixture was that after a few days the WD40 precipitates out of the mixture and settles in clumps on the bottom. No amount of agitation seems to get it back in the mixture, either. Next batch I just left out the WD, and I like it much better.

91litesho 08-05-2007 08:34 PM

the wd40 is in there jus for the properties in the oil, the alcohol dries things out , and the simple green is a surfactant(soap) itll leave a residue if to strong, but it helps the drying out of the alcohol. hence the wd40 aids in that process as well, is sorta like "armor-all"ing the vehicle but in a oil base. which will not hurt the vehicle. (armor-all is a water based dressing NOT GOOD FOR NITRO!! WATER= RUST) wut u could do if you didnt want to invest in a compressor and is real nice at the track or on site cleanup after bashing is a self pressurized can its like an aeresol can , but u refill it with ur solution, then pump it up with air . a bycyle pump or even a small sports ball pump works and there compact, the can is aluminum, and its small, leak free, comes with 4 different tips AND a needle. its impervious to all liquids. unlike the quart plastic sprayers which are a lil big and bulky, they do leak from time to time.
we keep our can handy at all times. we sell them at our shop. if interested Pm me. we also have infared thermometers W/ laser sight, check that out as well. there should be ads for both .
thanks

Nick2618 08-05-2007 08:44 PM

ORIGINAL: 91litesho

the wd40 is in there jus for the properties in the oil, the alcohol dries things out , and the simple green is a surfactant(soap) itll leave a residue if to strong, but it helps the drying out of the alcohol. hence the wd40 aids in that process as well, is sorta like "armor-all"ing the vehicle but in a oil base. which will not hurt the vehicle. (armor-all is a water based dressing NOT GOOD FOR NITRO!! WATER= RUST) wut u could do if you didnt want to invest in a compressor and is real nice at the track or on site cleanup after bashing is a self pressurized can its like an aeresol can , but u refill it with ur solution, then pump it up with air . a bycyle pump or even a small sports ball pump works and there compact, the can is aluminum, and its small, leak free, comes with 4 different tips AND a needle. its impervious to all liquids. unlike the quart plastic sprayers which are a lil big and bulky, they do leak from time to time.
we keep our can handy at all times. we sell them at our shop. if interested Pm me. we also have infared thermometers W/ laser sight, check that out as well. there should be ads for both .
thanks

thanks for the info but you only have a ad for the infard sensor now.

500 lb. koolaid man 08-05-2007 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: texaschilidog

Denatured alchol solvent alone worked fine for me,
but I did have access to a compressor at the track.
Didnt want to get the 2nd truck dirty too!
He's rite, denatured alcohol is all you need. Just throw some of it in an old rinsed out bottle(I used a windex bottle) and spray the whole truck down. Let it sit for a minute and wipe it all away with a rag, towel or something. This works fine for me;)

The disappointing part is denatured alcohol isn't cheap. It's basically the exact same thing as nitro cleaner but it's only slightly cheaper.