RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Electric Lighting Question/Idea (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/7514205-electric-lighting-question-idea.html)

dhyde79 05-19-2008 10:18 AM

Electric Lighting Question/Idea

I'm trying to figure out how to set up a lighting system on my Electric TC's (TripleX-S and TC3) that'll be activated by the 3rd channel on the radio if possible, so that it's not running all the time.

if I can set it up to run with a separate BEC & capacitor to keep them smoothly running at 6V I'd like to do it that way, or, am willing to wire it with a separate 9V Battery if absolutely required.

I'm contemplating headlights, tail lights, and possibly driving lights. (or, optimal would be a pair of always on yellow for "parking lights" and then when 3rd channel activated kicking on a set of headlights, tail lights, and fog/driving lights.)

anyway, the hard part is the debate of how to do the on/off with 3rd channel, is there an easy way to make that one run without going the route of a micro servo and a little switch that it'll trip it when actuated, or is that pretty much the only way I'll get it to work?

The Hedgehog 05-19-2008 10:47 AM

RE: Electric Lighting Question/Idea

They sell plenty of light kits, that can do everything you want for about 20 bucks. 3racings makes them, Yeah racing, Tamiya.

dhyde79 05-19-2008 10:59 AM

see, all the ones I've seen are designed to be always on kits.....that and I was hoping that making from scratch would be a bit more creative.....that and all of the ones I've seen ran around $50.....but, if you've got links for the others, I'll gladly look at them and see what they have....

3racing's not that cheap either, they're $30 for just the controller, and then you pay per LED at $4.17 per individual LED, with what I was looking at, that's another $33.36, so now we're at $60+ for the 3racing setup......

Access 05-19-2008 11:48 AM

You can use a really cheap brushed ESC, like the $9. ones and then just take the voltage from that.

dhyde79 05-19-2008 11:52 AM

run dual ESC? one for the lights/cooling fan(s) and one for the motor? (both cars will be running a Mamba Max 5700 before too long)

The Hedgehog 05-19-2008 12:15 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Racing-8-LEDs-6...QQcmdZViewItem

dhyde79 05-19-2008 01:04 PM

all of the "cool" things that kit does only work from nitro systems.

but, it's a possibility.....

The Hedgehog 05-20-2008 07:25 AM

Huh? That kit works with electric and nitro powered equally as well.

TIGER76 05-20-2008 07:30 AM

I saw a drift car which had a third servo setting to pop up his headlights it looked so cool not sure how he was running his LEDS tho [:o]

The Hedgehog 05-20-2008 07:39 AM

The LED kit I posted does not even need a 3rd channel, it can run off a 2 channel radio. It comes with a Y-harness that can hook up to the steering or throttle channels.

GYNAIKAS 05-20-2008 07:48 AM

Well that's easy to be done with a simple R C circuit. This will transform the pulse signal from your 3rd channel into a DC signal wich will vary according to the pulse lenght. That rc circuit will drive the led circuit. You don't need additional source cause it will be powered from the input signal that uses the receiver battery pack. Also if the signal has low power you can use a simple BJT transistor to amplify it.