RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   I building a rc track. Info needed!!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/7825851-i-building-rc-track-info-needed.html)

r1nsho 08-08-2008 11:01 PM

I building a rc track. Info needed!!!

Ok so im gunna build a rc track for 1/8 nitro's. It not gunna be a pro track by any means. I have a 30' x 60' (i can use more of my field if needed) area i"m going to rototill hopefully this weekend. I'm gunna till it a couple more times after to make sure all the weeds are dead. I have a big farm tracker with a loader on it so moving the dirt wont be a problem. Now this is where i need some input. I was thinking 5' lanes should be wide enough right? The wife has me on a low budget until i show im gunna use it lol. I need some ideas for lane dividers. I know that most tracks use the black piping but that can get pretty expensive. I have a big flatbed trailer im gunna use as a plat form. I might end up putting some fold up chairs on there to for some extra height. Now remember guys this is just for me and my buddies to have fun with. I will take pics as im making it and post them for helpful hint on how to make it better. below is how im going to have it set up.

l l _____________l
l l______________ l
l_________________l

calvino 08-09-2008 12:50 AM

RE: I building a rc track. Info needed!!!

ORIGINAL: r1nsho

Ok so im gunna build a rc track for 1/8 nitro's. It not gunna be a pro track by any means. I have a 30' x 60' (i can use more of my field if needed) area i"m going to rototill hopefully this weekend. I'm gunna till it a couple more times after to make sure all the weeds are dead. I have a big farm tracker with a loader on it so moving the dirt wont be a problem. Now this is where i need some input. I was thinking 5' lanes should be wide enough right? The wife has me on a low budget until i show im gunna use it lol. I need some ideas for lane dividers. I know that most tracks use the black piping but that can get pretty expensive. I have a big flatbed trailer im gunna use as a plat form. I might end up putting some fold up chairs on there to for some extra height. Now remember guys this is just for me and my buddies to have fun with. I will take pics as im making it and post them for helpful hint on how to make it better. below is how im going to have it set up.

l l _____________l
l l______________ l
l_________________l

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtPzGNu92eM is a 1/8 truggy on a 4' lane track, its very hard on 4' lanes, i would double it to 10' as a minimum, with a big car, space gets "gobbled up" fast as heck[>:], nice track design, tip, make an "s-bend" section, like this:
____
_____| |______
______ | _______

as for jumps, maybe a
"double" ^-^
"tripple" ^^^
"double single" ^^^ (if hit fast enough, one can clear all 3 at once, dificult)
"washboard" ^^^^^^ a series of jumps in a row to 'slow" down the car

hope your head isn't swimming with stuff[8D], ooh and for lane markers, try lowering the track a little and using the dirt, sticks... and whatnot you pull out to your advanatge on the "budget" end of it[8D]

Dawman 08-09-2008 07:39 AM

For 1/8 10 foot lanes are best . Also the black corigated pipe is cheap and about the cheapest to use for lane dividers . A 30x60 track is too small especially for 1/8 scale , you will see by the time you get the track designed and lanes made .

r1nsho 08-09-2008 08:52 PM

Ya after thinking about it i think im going to do 10' wide with a couple less straight aways. my brothers kids wouldnt be able to keep there truck on a 5' wide track. thanks for the input.

calvino 08-09-2008 11:33 PM

4' for 1/18 cars is hard enough, definately go 10', it will make it much easier for you[8D]

BuzzBomber 08-11-2008 10:52 AM

You could compromise and go to 8' lanes. Our local track uses 8' lanes and we get around it just fine with 1/8th scale buggies and truggies - there's just not a lot of leftover lane space. It doesn't sound like much, but you're talking a 20% reduction from 10' lanes, which adds up when you think of the track as a whole.

hspower 08-12-2008 08:01 AM

use gravel for more grip [>:]

r1nsho 08-14-2008 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
before and after tilling. it needs tilled 1 maybe 2 more times. I'm going camping this weekend but the weekend after I'm hoping to have it finished.

Furadi 08-14-2008 12:29 AM

ORIGINAL: r1nsho

before and after tilling. it needs tilled 1 maybe 2 more times. I'm going camping this weekend but the weekend after I'm hoping to have it finished.

/bowdown, it must be so sweet to have that kind of land at your disposal.

Captain DeadStick 08-14-2008 11:10 AM

Definitely use more of that huge chunk of land you've got! 30x60 is too small for 1/8 scale.

r1nsho 08-14-2008 11:16 AM

I tilled more than the 30x60 that i originally planned. I think what i have will be fine. I will find out next weekend when we are building it.

Evader ---> MGT 08-14-2008 03:08 PM

I would go 8ft just to squeez out that extra lane or so. Many tracks use 8ft without any problems. Good luck!

r1nsho 08-18-2008 10:49 PM

OK so i walked it off this past sunday and its roughly 100'x90'. Its prolly a little bigger but i rounded down just in case my strides weren't a yard each. I am going to make the lane 10' but now i'm rethinking the track lay out. I want it to be a difficult but fun track. i want it to have everything a good track would, jumps, straight aways, hard turns, almost impossible jumps but if ya have the rythum its possible. Well i think ya have the idea. Please throw some input at me!!!!! Thanks guys you've been a big help this far and now that im in the home stretch I'm gunna need ya more than ever!!!!!

By the way it should be done by 8-24-08 so if im not tired when i get home i will post pics!!!!

Captain DeadStick 08-19-2008 10:18 AM

Nice! Now I'm getting jealous.

nitro rc 08-19-2008 10:31 AM

i love having a huge backyard. My dad lets me use his tractor that has a farm plow so I can rip up 10' lanes in like 1 hour. The only thing i wish we had was a bucket loader like you said you have. Making jumps with a shovel really is a pain in the *****. Right now i have around 5' lanes that are too small now that my brother also got a nitro. It was fine for just my tmaxx. So as soon as i get the chance i am going to double the width of the lanes. Here check out my track. There are no jumps because we tore them down so we could plow the track again. We were away for a week and the track looked likea jungle. Next video we should have jumps and possible a different layout. Heres the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4J6bC-noyUY

r1nsho 08-19-2008 12:26 PM

I'm actually building it at my dads house. I dont have enough property or equipment to do it, so he told me i could build it at his house since we all have nitro's. Well all but him and his wife, but he said he's gunna buy one for his wife so we can all play!!!!

nitro rc 08-19-2008 01:19 PM

sounds like fun. we realized than having only one nitro is not even close to as much fun as having two. You can race and do all sorts of competitions. I just wish more kids in my area were in to RC. Only one of my friends has one but he hardly ever uses it. So it only me and my 11 yr old brother. I am almost 16. Maybe this afternoon i will take out the tractor and make the lanes twice as wide.

Did you like the video?????

r1nsho 08-19-2008 10:04 PM

ya the vid was cool. make the track wider and see if ya can find some dirt to make some jumps.

nitro rc 08-20-2008 09:59 AM

Ya I had two back to back pretty big doubles bu i tore them down so my bro coould get used to driving his firestorm on it. As soon as i get time i am making it wider and putting back up the jumps. Here is the track when there were jumps.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie5gkYE-m0k

PS - It is not me driving. I can easily clear the jumps. This is my little brother.

r1nsho 08-20-2008 11:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I got a little more work done on the track today. I think i going to need to rake it and roll it again though. Its a little rough still.

eXunforgiven 08-20-2008 07:00 PM

thats sweet bro, having a track in your back yard is awsome, reminds me of the time I built a track for my mini rc's, it was for onroad rc's but still fun to have in my backyard...check it out...

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...en/0ct0438.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...en/0ct0439.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...en/0ct0440.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...en/0ct0441.jpg

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u...en/0ct0442.jpg

Tree1 08-21-2008 12:47 PM

That is sweet. I am a bit envious. You guys aree lucky to have that kind of land at your disposal to build off-road R/C tracks. Land here in California is at a premium. You have to be extremely wealthy to own enough land to build a track.

Good luck with your back yard track. Keep us posted on its preogress.

r1nsho 08-23-2008 10:54 PM

Well tomorrows the day. I hope it goes as planned!!! It never does lol. I hope to have pics tomorrow night.

Nighthawk z450 08-28-2008 05:41 PM

Looks good! your well on your way, I agree with the other guys about the bigger lanes, my track (www.northerntierrc.com) is 150'X100'
And the smallest section is 8', our straight away is 14' wide and 110' long.
It can still get a little hairy in some of our smaller, more technical area's, but I wanted it to be a track for everyone, not just the guy with the biggest engine. And i think we have a good variety of fast, and slower technical stuff.

Be patient with it and use what you can get your hands on, we used the normal pipe but you can use alot of other things, your only limited by what you can think up!
Even our drivers stand (pics on the site) i built with 100% scrap or donated wood. turned out realy well .

Good luck, and if your ever over in this part of Pa. come check out my track!

Isaac Reichard

Northern Tier R/C

r1nsho 08-28-2008 10:43 PM

Well Its not done yet. It was sooo dry that i couldnt really make the jumps the way i wanted. The straight are all powdery even after i rolled them. Its rained a little here so i realyy want to go check it out!!!! I bought 250' of 4" pipe and ran out pretty fast. My brother was there helping and noticed about 10 small trees that were dead and almost perfectly straight so we pulled the chain saw out and cut them down for temp lane dividers. The 10' lanes are still pretty small. I'm rethinking my design so maybe we can widen the lanes a little. I was in such a hurry that i forgot to take my camera with me so I dont have any pics to show ya. I think we are going to get it running for this year and next year make the whole thing bigger. I was talking to a buddy of mine and he said he'd drop off a tri axle load or two of top soil for me. I have my fingers cross because the dirt i have isnt the best.