RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   What type of dirt works with for a RC track (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/8140483-what-type-dirt-works-rc-track.html)

dark96 11-12-2008 02:33 PM

What type of dirt works with for a RC track

I'm looking to build an RC track for my micro, but wondering what kinda of dirt is a prime choice to use? I found some sand, but havent had a chance to check out the consistance of it and not sure how that would work. Was trying to find out ideas of what works the best.

calvino 11-12-2008 04:09 PM

RE: What type of dirt works with for a RC track

clay, clay, clay. It is the most popular since when you 'pack it" it stays "packed." Plus its less likely to become dusty.... ive found with clay soils you do need to mix in some "loam" (top soil, compost, something) to make it a little less "brittle" (aka, likely to flake), othe than that im a big fan of clay soils, out here in cali we have clay everywhere (and lots of cracked foundations) so its easy to come by. You may want to get the 'yellow" clay as it seems to pack down REAL hard (what i mean is, make it semi-moist, pack it into the shape you want, and it stays in that shape forever, becomes very slick on the surface also). I have no clue what kindof soil you have out in texas? Another trick you may want to try is placing felt on the "leading edges" of your jumps so they don't wear down very quickly/you get improved traction. Hope this helps somewhat, do remember that these cars don't like super fine dusty soils...... Depending on the space you maybe able to come up with some prety good designs[8D]

dark96 11-13-2008 12:09 PM

Thanks so much for the info. I have been finding it hard to find the actual clay too. Do most people go though I guess an acutal dirt company or do they sell it @ I suppose hardware stores? I have looked @ home depot and Lowes, and have yet to come up with anything, but thats just their websites. I'm gonna be looking to build it @ my friends house, so haven't had a chance to run up there to the local places. Also this is just for a micro-t track :) so hopefully I wont have to worry bout those cars running down the track to much. I have looked on other Micro-t forums, and this form and alota ppl say they mix it with sugar? is that they mix the clay with sugar or another type of dirt.But thanks again for the info you have provided. I'm gonna try some actual dirt company and see how that goes. But as far as track ideas, :D, I'm looking to replicate a track from Super Off Road, the old school NES game :D

calvino 11-13-2008 12:53 PM

mixing sugar with the soil does in fact make it much harder. check out other building supply stores, what kindof soil do you have down there, if its mostly sand.... then your not in luck[&:], if its more clay, then your in luck:D

dark96 11-13-2008 12:59 PM

well so far what i have come across is just reg. sand. :( I still looking but not much options so far. So i guess sand is a big nogo.

larryf333 11-13-2008 01:17 PM

Come to Georgia and you can get all the frickin clay you want. It's very hard when packed and dries quickly on the surface after a rainshower.
Now if they could find an easier way to get the rocks out of it, It would be much easier to build a track with. It will stain the crap out of your clothing,
so don't where anything you don't want to be red after you race. As far as the dust levels go, it's better than most types of dirt, but like I said it stains
the crap out of everything.

dark96 11-13-2008 02:41 PM

the offer is very tempting, but not we will have to see. Is there a type of topsoil that would work well too, cause its becoming rather difficult to find some clay :(

larryf333 11-13-2008 02:54 PM

I imagine any type of red or gray fill dirt would be good to use. Black dirt is likely too soft and sand is way too soft.

larryf333 11-13-2008 02:57 PM

May be able to use this site to find something.

http://www.clean-fill-wanted.com/

dark96 11-13-2008 03:13 PM

thanks alot. I'll give that site a try and see, and also will start searching for the other type of fill-dirt

FloridaDude 11-14-2008 06:48 PM

clay all the way but maybe setup a jump and put some loose sand to make a sand trap sort of pit