RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   RUN AWAY car stories (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/8552187-run-away-car-stories.html)

breezerboat 03-07-2009 08:57 AM

RUN AWAY car stories

I was driving my brand new truck on it's second tank. You know, going very slow in figure 8's. When all the sudden it went full throttle and my controller did not work. I was scared and in about one second I was thinking FARK!!! I'm gonna break my brand new expensive toy. Well the good news was that it was coming in my direction, it hit the curb, jumped up in the air a bit (no damage) and hit the ground starting to accelerate again. It was coming right at me. Luckily the top was off (as I have read to do when breaking in the thing) and I was able to grab the handle thing and it grazed my leg as i grabbed it. WHHEEWWWW, I saved it and only had a little bruise to show. After that I got a fail safe before I ran it again. My problem was that the prongs in my controller that touch the batteries were not bent out on one of the batteries, easy fix, but I feel much better with my fail safe.

breezerboat 03-07-2009 09:01 AM

RE: RUN AWAY car stories

Oh, and one of my friends just got his first truck and had it run away during break in and he was not as lucky. His bashed into a wall and completely tore off one of his wheels, breaking lots of stuff on the suspension.

iggk 03-07-2009 09:35 AM

I've only had 1 run away, it was in the early 90's with my highly modified grasshopper. it was running on 14.8 volts with a custom made manual speed control and i think a 12turn motor my dad wanted to race his Monte Carlo SS vs my RC so we went to this HUGE parking lot and i gave him a running start he was at nearly 50mph when he came up to my starting line and i passed him like he was standing still, had no way to measure my speed but I'm guessing somewhere around d 65mph when i crossed the finish line.

this is when i lost control and about 100 ft after the finish line it jumped the curb and hit a chain link fence over half the car managed to find its was threw the fence there was only 1 part that wasn't completely destroyed and that was the throttle servo after sorting threw the broken pieces i found the speed control had welded itself at full throttle

Troggie 03-07-2009 11:19 AM

When I started racing at the local track back in the mid 80's it was right by a busy street.. They had fencing around the track but also had a few high bank turns by the fence.. my transmitter battery died on a straight away and it hit one of the banks and jumped the fence.. it the proceeded into the street and got hit by a semi and 3 other cars before traffic cleared enough to get what was left back.. that was also the day I got my Hot Shot so I guess it wasn't all bad.. LOL.

Wild YFZ 450 03-07-2009 11:56 AM

ORIGINAL: iggk

I've only had 1 run away, it was in the early 90's with my highly modified grasshopper. it was running on 14.8 volts with a custom made manual speed control and i think a 12turn motor my dad wanted to race his Monte Carlo SS vs my RC so we went to this HUGE parking lot and i gave him a running start he was at nearly 50mph when he came up to my starting line and i passed him like he was standing still, had no way to measure my speed but I'm guessing somewhere around d 65mph when i crossed the finish line.

this is when i lost control and about 100 ft after the finish line it jumped the curb and hit a chain link fence over half the car managed to find its was threw the fence there was only 1 part that wasn't completely destroyed and that was the throttle servo after sorting threw the broken pieces i found the speed control had welded itself at full throttle
I highly doubt that a Grasshopper from the 90's can go 65mph.. Yet accelerate 0-50 or above in the time given....Also that wasn't a runaway that was just lack of driving skill.

mazdaprotege4 03-07-2009 12:33 PM

I used to have a Duratrax Maximum ST (nitro) that I let me wife drive one day. Well she went over the driveway and caught some air, but when she landed the receiver battery pack came loose, so the truck was stuck as WOT. It ran into a tree and was stuck wide open until I could get to it and pull the fuel line. Wish I had known about failsafes then :-). That is pretty much the whole reason that I got into electrics.

savagecommander 03-07-2009 12:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

ORIGINAL: iggk

I highly doubt that a Grasshopper from the 90's can go 65mph.. Yet accelerate 0-50 or above in the time given....Also that wasn't a runaway that was just lack of driving skill.
shhhhh you!

had my kitana buggy sitting on a stand breaking in. ran it for prolly 25 minutes on the stand and as SOON as i set it in the grass the rx pack died and BBBBRRRRRRRRRR!!!! it took off. funny thing was, it managed to make two left hand turns and run between two buildings without hitting anything, of course WFO, on a brand new engine. it had snagged on of the legs on an antenna and shattered the gas tank, crashing into a ditch, filled with water, of course. good thing though, it was about to launch into highway traffic.

NitroVette 03-07-2009 01:37 PM

About 15 years ago I was running an 1/8 scale buggy when my radio went into failsafe mode due to low battery. Like a fool I turned battery failsafe off on the TX to get a little more run time. About five minutes later it came screaming across the lot at full throttle and smashed into a curb. Needless to say it was destroyed, I only recovered 80% of the car. I use a failsafe in everything now.

xt2nitro 03-07-2009 02:11 PM

My first car which was a Condor ran away at full throttle into a tree trunk when I was on holiday. The whole suspension had broken. There was not a model whop within 100 miles!

dacaur 03-07-2009 06:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Wild YFZ 450

Actually I would say its lack of reading on your part, read again the last sentence in his post "i found the speed control had welded itself at full throttle" :eek:
Man, I hate when my lack of driving skill causes an insane amount of voltage/amperage to melt my mechanical speed control together, .... :eek:a

dacaur 03-07-2009 06:24 PM

Back in about 2001ish I had a t-max. I put a throttle return spring on it, and figured since the spring closed the throttle, I didn't need the collar on the servo arm that closed the throttle when you let off... Well it worked fine for a few months, till one day driving in a semi wooded property at a firends house, I let one of my friends drive it.. He handed the controller back and blipped the throttle at idle to clear it, and it took of screaming across the lot, hitting a tree, , it flew up in the air and landed upside down at full throttle... and ran over and pluged the exhaust. An inspection found the throttle return spring had broken, and when I blipped the throttle, the throttle stayed open.... doh

Wild YFZ 450 03-07-2009 06:40 PM

Wow.. Good job.. Still laughing..:) Why would you even think that would work or even do that, Thats hilarious

bubble27 03-07-2009 08:25 PM

Hey guys...this never personally happened to me but i have seen it happen in a vid!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOyemdOc5A

and to add to all that the poor guy had a broken leg!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]

camaross427 03-07-2009 08:35 PM

First time with my first rc, nitro buggy, start it up...goes shooting down the street, rams into tire of a car at about 30mph, won't shut off, keeps spinnign the tires lol..i'm running around hte street chasing it down, it was scary yet hilarious, after that i realized i needed some serious adjustment to the throttle linkage

nitrozach54 03-07-2009 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: camaross427

First time with my first rc, nitro buggy, start it up...goes shooting down the street, rams into tire of a car at about 30mph, won't shut off, keeps spinnign the tires lol..i'm running around hte street chasing it down, it was scary yet hilarious, after that i realized i needed some serious adjustment to the throttle linkage
thats exactly what happened to my my first start up...
I didnt turn the receiver on.. can you believe that? im such a fool![sm=bananahead.gif]

camaross427 03-07-2009 11:19 PM

lol i had the throttle linkage messed up...and the batteries we're near dead lol, now i always check the batt's before lol..it was a good lesson

nukervilletrolle 03-07-2009 11:46 PM

My old t-maxx, reciever batteries died at WOT, and it went blazing across my yard towards the road. It was mostly field, so the first thing I thought was "how am I ever going to catch that?" the second thing I thought was, "oh god I hope a cor does not come by!" It went across the road and thankfully the ditch across the road caught it with no damage.

yoster 03-08-2009 12:02 AM

I was breaking in a new dynamite .12 engine on my rc10gt. On the 1st tank, the throttle linkage comes off (I wasn't using a throttle return spring), and the car hits WOT. Off it goes down the street, hits a curb which bends the chassis, stripped the spur gear and sent the muffler flying. The engine was then sitting there spinning WOT at max RPM. It was under no load (spur stripped), and lean (no muffler to push fuel). It was about 50 yards away and so loud that my ears were ringing for about 20 minutes after! The engine finally died and I went for recovery. I'm sure that wasn't the best for the break-in process [:@]

olkleaf 03-08-2009 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: bubble27

Hey guys...this never personally happened to me but i have seen it happen in a vid!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbOyemdOc5A

and to add to all that the poor guy had a broken leg!!! [sm=spinnyeyes.gif]
this vid has to be the worst. the guy has to hop on one leg after this run away.:(

well my run away story was with my ntc3. the day before i had crashed the car and damged the rx battery (i had one of those packs that you put the AA batteries in) but did notice at the time couse there was no damage to the car. the day afteri when out to drive it. i drove 5 or 6 high speed passes. i turned the car around and when i guned the throllel a battery poped out. the car took off. it went behind cars parked on teh street and that is basicly all i now the car was in pretty bad shape. the chassi was bent the engine was actully moved out of place and the exhaust manifoild was bent backwards