RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Idle setting wheels moving when suspended? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/8672083-idle-setting-wheels-moving-when-suspended.html)

GlassBullet 04-11-2009 08:58 PM

Idle setting wheels moving when suspended?

So I know when the car is idling on the ground it is supposed to stay still, but what about when the wheels are off the ground (like on a stand). Is the idle still too high if the wheels move when off the ground, but stay still when on the ground?

HJJFFFAA 04-11-2009 09:36 PM

RE: Idle setting wheels moving when suspended?

It's not ideal. Is your idle gap set correctly? Did you try richening your LSN?

GlassBullet 04-11-2009 09:51 PM

i can still lower the idle probably. i was just checking. so i should try to lower it until the wheels don't move whatsoever?

HJJFFFAA 04-11-2009 09:52 PM

Yea. Try to get it in between the settings at which it stalls and which it engages the clutch.

cummins driver 04-11-2009 10:30 PM

Your clutch/clutch springs could be getting weak if your idle is already fairly low.

If your clutch is dragging it also makes tuning nearly impossible. I was fighting that with my savage, and just got a new aluminum clutch, and it is 1000 times easier to get a consistant tune. Especially with the LSN.

Eric

NitroVette 04-11-2009 10:42 PM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

Your clutch/clutch springs could be getting weak if your idle is already fairly low.

If your clutch is dragging it also makes tuning nearly impossible. I was fighting that with my savage, and just got a new aluminum clutch, and it is 1000 times easier to get a consistant tune. Especially with the LSN.

Eric

I agree I've encountered this in the past and went to a slightly stiffer spring. I also put aluminum shoes in my Savage and went one size up on the springs and it idles great and launches nice without reving too high.

GlassBullet 04-11-2009 10:45 PM

what do you mean "dragging"? like staying engaged a little?

dacaur 04-12-2009 01:40 AM

ORIGINAL: GlassBullet

what do you mean "dragging"? like staying engaged a little?
Yes. If the wheels are turning at idle on a stand, its because the clutch is engaged. Assuming its not a problem with the clutch (weak springs, shoes that need to be filed) then your idle is too high.

GlassBullet 04-12-2009 10:52 AM

ok thank you. i think it's the idle screw cause i set it right after break in and never really picked the car up while it was running to see