RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Batteries for the castle BL systems (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/8914053-batteries-castle-bl-systems.html)

ephatch510 07-07-2009 03:46 PM

Batteries for the castle BL systems

What kind of batteries are you guys running in your castle setups?

I'm in the market for a few extra packs of batteries and was wondering what other people like to use.

I'm not sure what is the minimum or the best power requirements for the castle setup. Anyone have an idea?

Right now I'm running a sidewinder 5700 on a Tamiya chassis. Using 2s 30c 5000 lipos.

gelbschnee 07-07-2009 04:20 PM

RE: Batteries for the castle BL systems

I'm running a 6 cell nimh pack, but I plan to upgrade to the 11.1v lipo, which is the maximum for the castle sidewinder.

Druss 07-07-2009 05:05 PM

2S 30C 5000mah are fine, you don't really need anything better. 3S is crazy fast and most people have no need for that kind of speed. How much fun is going that fast in a straight line?

Access 07-07-2009 05:13 PM

I know a lot of people run the zippy's from hobbycity, which are among the least expensive lipos out there.
I've run hobbypeople's 'impulse' brand, thunderpower 25C and 40C batteries, and venoms. There's another thread where I did formal testing with a scope which ranked them in this order:
thunderpower 40C (best) - impulse (some types), thunderpower 25C (nearly the same as the impulse), venom (worse). I've never tested a zippy so I can't comment on that, but many others seem satisfied with them. Stay away form maxamps, their batteries are as expensive (if not more expensive) than the thunderpower 40C packs without the performance. There are some other good brands out there, flightpower, neuenergy, etc. if you are willing to pay.

lancer123 07-07-2009 05:55 PM

3s 8900kv set everything on low power . and barely full throttle .

i run 3s casue i sometimes i want speed and the 3s is always there to supply it .

monsterbombs 07-07-2009 07:00 PM

i have two 2450 3s batts and a 2s 4600. i like
the 3s because they are small and powerful,
the 2s is a hard case so that can take a beating.
i like taking charged lipos (2&3s) and using with the auto
lipo cutoff. i can just change between them
without worrying about the different cutoff voltages.
for nimh the intellect 4600 are good, but now
lipo is cheaper in some cases and more powerful.

total3d 07-08-2009 02:39 AM

i also have a castle sidewinder 5700kv combo.
castle recommends not running 3s with the 5700kv, and only run 2s. lipo.
i use a IP5000 30c 2s lipo with my car, with the power set to medium.
i get plenty of speed and accelleration for track use, and long run times.

best setup imo is 2s, 5000mah 40c lipo from thunder power.(more current...)
otherwise you current cetup is fine, just dont overgear.

ORIGINAL: ephatch510

What kind of batteries are you guys running in your castle setups?

I'm in the market for a few extra packs of batteries and was wondering what other people like to use.

I'm not sure what is the minimum or the best power requirements for the castle setup. Anyone have an idea?

Right now I'm running a sidewinder 5700 on a Tamiya chassis. Using 2s 30c 5000 lipos.

Never Enough 07-09-2009 01:42 AM

I have Neu 3s and 4s packs as well as an IP saddle pack in my RC drag cars and they are great but I would love some 40c TP packs. I have used Zippy packs in my street thrasher cars and they have been great value for money . Had 2 maxamp packs that both died well before they should of.

Steve. 07-09-2009 10:59 PM

I spoke to one of the techs at Castle today and they are really helpful. He suggested getting the best batteries you can afford as they are almost always the limiting factor with brushless systems. If you have questions about their products call them, they are really approachable and want their products to perform to their full potential. Excellent product support, at no time did they make me feel like I was being a pain, in fact I had a nice conversation about setups and batteries. Nice people to deal with.

total3d 07-11-2009 01:31 AM

^^^ i agree too!
i contacted them via email about batteries+gearing.
they didnt know much about gearing, so i did some testing and let them know the results.

but they reply very quickly