RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Good beginner Nitro RC car/truck (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9128352-good-beginner-nitro-rc-car-truck.html)

saltwater4life 09-27-2009 07:44 PM

Good beginner Nitro RC car/truck

Hi guys,
So i'm interested in getting into the hobby. So i was wondering is thereapreferably truckthat isn't junk and has hop ups?I would like to stay under 200 for everything (car,remote,starter stuff) I guess my price rangelimits me to onlya 1/10 or smaller.
Also i was wondering between trucks and buggies whats the difference in performances?

Thank You guys,

~Nick

futureboy1969 09-27-2009 08:45 PM

RE: Good beginner Nitro RC car/truck

Traxxas Sport is great to start with.... but it is a couple of bucks more. 25 or 30....
They have tones of hopups and support...
If u go any cheaper it's goint to b a off name brand and parts r hard to find. just my thoughts

Chris_RC 09-27-2009 08:50 PM

Cheapest truck that isnt junk.

[link]https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/seekpart.pl?pn=HPI10510[/link]

Any less will put you in a offbrand car and they are very bad.

carnate617 09-27-2009 09:56 PM

if you can, save a few more bucks and get a T-Maxx. It can go anywhere, many aftermarket parts, and fun as can be. I miss the one I sold. It was more fun than my Revo because I beat the daylights out of it and it kept going.

saltwater4life 09-27-2009 10:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys,
It's not that i can't spend more it's just I'm 17 and I've been saving pretty much every penny I've made for a car. I'll have to try eBay and craigslist some more. Anything else i should know or look out for if i get a used one? Also are buggies and truggies? just as fun or better when it comes to playing in the back yard or at a park oh and launching off some ramps. haha
Thanks again guys

~Nick

carnate617 09-27-2009 11:02 PM

I have a race ready revo, but man-o-man can a t-maxx fly. My 11yr old son and I would make it fly off his skateboard launch ramp. I broke the $11 motor mount when it landed. not that the revo can't handle jumps, but a t-maxx is easy to fix, and is easy to get parts for. I was 13 when i started and I feel your pain. now I'm 34yrs old and i still feel the pain. (darn economy. now I see why my parents rarely helped me out. My first baby was an Optima Mid SE by Kyosho)

good luck

saltwater4life 09-27-2009 11:24 PM

Haha nice, that's exactly what i was thinking, get out my old ramps and stuff.haha yeahmy parents are thinking it's a waste of my money...(whatswrong withall those oneswe got you for Christmas in the garagehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...n/rolleyes.gif)I guess another big thing is see what our local hobby shops carry as far as replacement parts go huh? I'd hate waiting on shipping.

futureboy1969 09-28-2009 07:06 PM

Take a look at this..... X-Cellerator Nitro 1-10 ST RTR.....just under 2 bills
here the site i found it on
http://hobbyshopoutlet.com/games-hob...62.html?page=2

nubzorz 09-28-2009 07:44 PM

With that budget all your gonna get is a redcat,exceed,hsp stuff like that there decent people knock them but they dont even own one so there not credible... there decent little cars and great for a first car so you can learn tuning and the basics on it without ruining an expensive motor.

saltwater4life 09-28-2009 10:35 PM

Hmm thanks for the links guys,
I was looking at the red cat's Vortex SS the other day. Does anyone know how that is? Are most brands similar when it comes to motor mods or not? because i don't see alot of mods for the red cat stuff, but if say for example traxxas parts fit on the red cat engine or something that'd be cool? I checked out one of our nicer Rc stores and all they sold for nitro was Traxxas and had a ton of replacement parts and mods for them. Or would it be posible that i could change the engine to a traxxas or something down the road?
PS. Would a buggy/truggy be better for alittle bit of everything (dirt,grass,road,track) or is the Vortex SS pretty similar?
Thanks

~Nick

Chris_RC 09-28-2009 11:34 PM

The Redcat car you waqnted is a cheap Chinese car so Traxas parts wont fit. The nitro sport is a lot better, but see what your LHS suppports and go from there. They will not support those Redcat, Exceed, etc. models. A buggy or truggy is very good but costs over $300. With the Votex you listen, its competators are the Traxxas Slyer or Slash if you want electric. The Slash alone is better than the redcat votex, ya, Redcats are that bad and very discourgaring for a newb. To tell you the truth, your LHS will say we dont support those cheap cars and to get a better car. There goes $200 down the drain.

saltwater4life 09-29-2009 12:32 PM

Alright thanks,
Yeah i guess i'll pass on that then. So really my best bet would probably be to find a used one on craigs list or ebay.

Andrew Smolnik 09-29-2009 12:48 PM

CEN Racing has some pretty nice vehicles. Most of their stuff is nitro powered. The low end items cost around $199 for the RTR Below is a decent list for you to check out.

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/mg10/mg10.html $199.99 RTR Street Price

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/nx/mtspec30.html $279.99 RTR Street Price

http://www.cenracing.com/cars/gsr/gsr50.html $379.99 RTR Street Price

Hope this helps! Good luck and welcome to the hobby!

rc89 01-18-2010 03:01 PM

<p align="left">Hey guys i was wondering if i should buy an x cellerator as one of my firtst actuall gas cars i already have had electrics car for about two years now, is it a good track car? to go on any day and just mess around race it once in a blue moon? does it have alot of mods to make it faster? plz get back to me thank

Jeremy</p>

rast4man 01-18-2010 03:02 PM

Get a Jato. :)

trx1 01-18-2010 03:29 PM

jato's r WAYYY 2 fast for a newbie to own

qoisdhc oqina 01-18-2010 04:00 PM

but itd save him the trouble of wanting one that does 70 down the road later :)

bronx boy 01-18-2010 09:43 PM

look on stormer they have traxaxx rustler 2.5 for 199.00 all you need is a 7.2 battery and wall charger and you are good to go also you have tons of hop up parts out there also on ebay type in thunder tiger tomahawk there is a hobby shop in nj it says make best offer i low balled him he came back with his offer of 180.00 you could probably get it for 165.00

rc89 01-18-2010 10:10 PM

Ya thanks guys but ya i dont know maybe a jato is fast for a me who is new to the whole nitro cuz all ive ever had was electric, but from what ive read a xcellerator cant take jumps well? i dont think thats a good thing cuz i a take it to the track almost every weekend so is there any way of making it better to jumps? also anything to make it faster?</p>

SyCo_VeNoM 01-18-2010 10:25 PM

All i know is I would never go cheap on a Nitro. It will only cause you headaches in the long run. If anything go with a used HPI MT2(I wouldn't go over $140 personally for used) and buy a new nitro star T-15 (approx $65) if your scared you will go too fast. I run the T-15 in mt MT2 and it can his around 35-40 MPH and find its is just right so it won't flip if I turn, it is also a super easy to tune, very newbie to nitro friendly, and reliable engine. Honestly I don't think I ever spent more than 15 seconds to get it started, and probably spent around 3 minutes TOTAL tuning it out of a gallon of nitro.

BTW a MT2 is 4WD and would be way easier to control than the RWD counterparts

Edited due to a typo :D

bronx boy 01-18-2010 10:31 PM

the rustler 2.5 goes 52.8 mph out of the box the xcelerator goes 46 to 50 i have one its a nice car a little slow the first ten feet then it hookes up good tried to put in a losi spur gear for crisper start but just did not work out if you want to bash get a 4 wheel drive the stadium trucks can be a handfull save a little longer and get a mmgt 3.0 229.00 on ultimate hobbies its a nice truck also they have a the thunder tiger buggy for 229.00 its a tuff little sucker my stadium trucks are good for donuts mostly they are just to over powered with the 2 wheel drive

rc89 01-18-2010 11:55 PM

ok thanks guys you have all been a bunch of help :D

Bluethunder3320 01-19-2010 03:52 PM

oh wow im 13 and i have... well have had 3 rc cars. my first was the losi mini lst... broken then i got the mgt 3.0 a little over a year ago... it lasted a year, i broke a ton of stuff now i cant afford to fix it, and for christmas i got the ofna ultra, and hit a 15 foot jump at full speed, about 60mph, and its trashed too. i want to get a road car to put the .28 in next. the mini mgt is a monster truck, actually Mini Monster GT 3.0cc .18. its a good beginner truck and it has a 2 speed auto, 8 oil shocks, and a buncha other good stuff

dakotanut 01-19-2010 04:29 PM

I started off with a Traxxas Rustler. I still have it. I have a Slash also. It is awesome. I have 2 more nitro trucks. The Rustler was a great new vehicle. The Slash is also. I'm not brand specific. Just my experience. Lots of parts and readily available.

rc89 01-19-2010 07:47 PM

hey guys my brother has a stampede, he wants to know if there is anything he can do to make it go faster??