RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Two interesting new vehicles from Losi (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9194996-two-interesting-new-vehicles-losi.html)

sheograth 10-22-2009 10:22 PM

Two interesting new vehicles from Losi

Both have been announced just in a last few days, and both seem really cool. The 1/18 buggy has a really great look and style too it, and the Ten looks like a really solid 1/10 nitro - something we haven't seen many of lately. Thoughts?

1/18 Mini Desert Buggy

*280 sized motor
*Spektrum radio
*Oil filled shocks
*3 wire servo
*Strut style front shock mounts

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...th2/buggy1.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...th2/buggy2.jpg

1/10 TEN-T Truggy

*3.4cc engine
*Remote Onboard Starting System
*Spektrum DX3s radio

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ath2/Losi2.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y13...ath2/Losi1.jpg

Chris_RC 10-22-2009 10:50 PM

RE: Two interesting new vehicles from Losi

I like the TEN-T. I think it is more of something to come i.e TEN (buggy), and TEN-SCT (or XXX-SCT would be a better name). But I like how it uses alot of 8ight-T parts which is already a really durable platform and made it smaller. If you think about it, the MAP on the T 2.0 RTR is $800 and the MAP of the TEN-T is $500. The 8T 2.0 RTR is going for $675 at thebarnfloor.com. So that would be around $400 for a car that has a DX3S radio and uses scaled down 8T parts. Only grudge is the ROSS, the extra motor will make it wayy too heavy!

I can see the Desert Buggy releasing as a 1/10, almost like the DT did. 1/36 first, then 1/10, then 1/18. Never-the-less, cool truck,

IloveMYxt2 10-22-2009 10:58 PM

Cool looking trucks. Seems like Losi is more 'user' friendly now with their electric start, but their not the first ones to do a remote start.

And just cause its a Losi everyones going to like these new trucks.

Personally not a Losi fan.

Druss 10-23-2009 12:07 AM

That buggy looks a lot like the vintage Tamiya and Kyosho buggies from the 80's very cool.

Damo_MadTruck 10-23-2009 02:12 AM

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Odapytxezxk&feature=sub[/youtube]

luvdisstuff 10-23-2009 07:30 AM

ORIGINAL: Druss

That buggy looks a lot like the vintage Tamiya and Kyosho buggies from the 80's very cool.
It certainly does. But Im afraid to buy a Losi product as they appear to be unreliable rigs.

mazdaprotege4 10-23-2009 08:36 AM

ORIGINAL: luvdisstuff

It certainly does. But Im afraid to buy a Losi product as they appear to be unreliable rigs.
Ihave had a Losi DT and 1/18 crawler and have bashed them pretty good with only minor parts replacement needed so I think that they are pretty reliable IMO.

quietnas1 10-23-2009 09:19 AM

From what I have seen Losi is a good brand and man that truck looks nice. Maybe after Christmas I will get one ans covert all my other RC's to 2.4 ghtz. Sweet.

Steve. 10-23-2009 09:32 AM

My son and I have owned several Losi cars and trucks and for the most part have had good luck until I purchased a Losi Comp Crawler. In my opinion Losi has gone downhill over the past few years, since being acquired by Horizon. They are more interested in pumping out "toys" rather than the race ready cars they used to. My biggest complaint is that they released a vehicle that was clearly not ready for release. The LCC has numerous issues, weak CVs, drive pins that regularly fall out, tires that rub suspension links, bad worms, incorrect pinion angle, etc. What bothers me is that they are letting their customers beta test for them. Even more frustrating is that when I purchased the LCC I chose my motor and ESC based on their website's recommendation, at the time they were suggesting a 55t turn motor. They couldn't have suggested a worse combo, did they even test different motors and ESCs ? I look at the purchase as more of a $400 mistake. Even more sad is that when I asked them to send me out new CVD pins they said they were all out and suggested that I cut some piano wire as a makeshift pin. At this point I have pretty much given up on Losi and doubt I'll ever buy one again.

cummins driver 10-23-2009 09:43 AM

I like the looks of the Ten T. I like the starting system and remote start too. It doesent seem to me like the 1/10 trugges and buggies sell nearly as good at the 1/8th stuff though. I like 1/8th better myself. More room for larger, stronger parts, but i can see the 1/10th being a fun truck.

Checkpointracer 10-23-2009 02:15 PM

I really do like the ten-t, it looks like it would be a very fun mess-around truck. My only problem with it is that losi made it. I've owned two losi trucks that I hated and have sworn after that I will never buy another losi again. IDK though, I might break that promise with the ten-t.[:-]

luvdisstuff 10-23-2009 03:00 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve.

My son and I have owned several Losi cars and trucks and for the most part have had good luck until I purchased a Losi Comp Crawler. In my opinion Losi has gone downhill over the past few years, since being acquired by Horizon. They are more interested in pumping out ''toys'' rather than the race ready cars they used to. My biggest complaint is that they released a vehicle that was clearly not ready for release. The LCC has numerous issues, weak CVs, drive pins that regularly fall out, tires that rub suspension links, bad worms, incorrect pinion angle, etc. What bothers me is that they are letting their customers beta test for them. Even more frustrating is that when I purchased the LCC I chose my motor and ESC based on their website's recommendation, at the time they were suggesting a 55t turn motor. They couldn't have suggested a worse combo, did they even test different motors and ESCs ? I look at the purchase as more of a $400 mistake. Even more sad is that when I asked them to send me out new CVD pins they said they were all out and suggested that I cut some piano wire as a makeshift pin. At this point I have pretty much given up on Losi and doubt I'll ever buy one again.
Very well put. They use the consumer to test run the product than and only than will they redisign it if it doesnt work. Sometimes I think that their entire r& d dept. is us the consumer. That is why I stay away from Losi.I have owned two losis and both dont run and I wont fix them again.

Chris_RC 10-23-2009 04:35 PM

My son and I have owned several Losi cars and trucks and for the most part have had good luck until I purchased a Losi Comp Crawler. In my opinion Losi has gone downhill over the past few years, since being acquired by Horizon. They are more interested in pumping out ''toys'' rather than the race ready cars they used to. My biggest complaint is that they released a vehicle that was clearly not ready for release. The LCC has numerous issues, weak CVs, drive pins that regularly fall out, tires that rub suspension links, bad worms, incorrect pinion angle, etc. What bothers me is that they are letting their customers beta test for them. Even more frustrating is that when I purchased the LCC I chose my motor and ESC based on their website's recommendation, at the time they were suggesting a 55t turn motor. They couldn't have suggested a worse combo, did they even test different motors and ESCs ? I look at the purchase as more of a $400 mistake. Even more sad is that when I asked them to send me out new CVD pins they said they were all out and suggested that I cut some piano wire as a makeshift pin. At this point I have pretty much given up on Losi and doubt I'll ever buy one again.
Very well put. They use the consumer to test run the product than and only than will they redisign it if it doesnt work. Sometimes I think that their entire r& d dept. is us the consumer. That is why I stay away from Losi.I have owned two losis and both dont run and I wont fix them again.
I am sorry, but Losi went to hundreds of different tracks in different countries to test their 8ight/8T and 2.0 designs. Not to mention thousands of hours of R&D from all the Losi drivers and designiers.

Let me guess what the 2 Losi's were- mini or micro and some 1/10 rtr crap? If im correct, taht is what sells and allows Losi to pay soo much money on R&D for their race products.

luvdisstuff 10-23-2009 05:07 PM

Yes you are correct. Maybe I should reserve judgement. I was just speaking from my own experience.

Checkpointracer 10-23-2009 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: Chris_RC

I am sorry, but Losi went to hundreds of different tracks in different countries to test their 8ight/8T and 2.0 designs. Not to mention thousands of hours of R&D from all the Losi drivers and designiers.

Let me guess what the 2 Losi's were- mini or micro and some 1/10 rtr crap? If im correct, taht is what sells and allows Losi to pay soo much money on R&D for their race products.

I think you're missing the point. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that the 8ights are great cars, but the stuff I've had from losi was trash(micro-t and xxx-t). A good company makes quality rc's in all types and classes, not just 1/8th scale.

EDIT: I think you're definetly right when you say that losi sells crap to pay for their R&D of their race products. That is a horrible way to treat a customer and one reason why I try to stay away.

Chris_RC 10-23-2009 07:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Checkpointracer

I think you're missing the point. I'm pretty sure everyone would agree that the 8ights are great cars, but the stuff I've had from losi was trash(micro-t and xxx-t). A good company makes quality rc's in all types and classes, not just 1/8th scale.

EDIT: I think you're definetly right when you say that losi sells crap to pay for their R&D of their race products. That is a horrible way to treat a customer and one reason why I try to stay away.
The XXX-T CR are still good trucks. Losi's Factory Team drivers still run them for 1/10 electric only making few mods from box stock.

The micro-t was designed to be a car for rainy days inside the house, now I see people with lipo batteries and brushless motors and I think to myself, a car that small wan't made to be that fast. Do you know how many scale mph going 30 in a 1/36 is? [X(]

IloveMYxt2 10-23-2009 07:18 PM

Im going to agree with the rest here. Losi makes some wack products. I was actually just messing with the 8T and it has heaps of problems and seriously why is it built so cheap? I was comparing it to a Kyosho truggy and the Kyosho is miles ahead in quality and durability. My buddy had a LST2 as well and it had plenty of problems and the arms were so weak. He got rid of it real quick.

I have messed with quite a few RC's and I am definitely staying away from Losi.

cummins driver 10-23-2009 07:33 PM

some 1/10 rtr crap? If im correct, taht is what sells and allows Losi to pay soo much money on R&D for their race products.
Just because they use the money on their high dollar cars, does that make it acceptable to make junk 1/10 rtr vehicles when they are still charging much more for them than the other manufacturers?

srt10 10-23-2009 09:29 PM

lest see, a truck with remote start? who else has this?
This truck looks great and for 500 bucks with the radio it comes with, hmmmm
If I wasnt spending money on my 5B and my FE boats, I would be getting this! I miss having a nitro truck!

subwayaz 10-23-2009 11:16 PM

Looks pretty good to me. ANd the theory makes sense.
Thanks for sharing the video and opinions.  Helps us newbies making decisions on a new hobby

gearjammen 10-24-2009 12:41 AM

i have a kyosho strr and a losi 8t they both have there own problems the kyosho has weak front a arms and the diffs need constant maintance to keep from blowing ring gears. the bearing carrers for the hubs wear quick on the losi. i enjoy both .

Chris_RC 10-24-2009 10:24 AM

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

some 1/10 rtr crap? If im correct, taht is what sells and allows Losi to pay soo much money on R&D for their race products.
Just because they use the money on their high dollar cars, does that make it acceptable to make junk 1/10 rtr vehicles when they are still charging much more for them than the other manufacturers?
Let's look at their 1/10 models:
1/10 slider-great car, no problems and has its own class
Strike and strike BND-minor issues with rear driveshaft, losi is replacing those free of charge because they were a mfg defect on the first batch
1/10 DT-great car, no apparant problems
Speed-T has a diff problem, no problems on the speed-nt
Lastly the 1/10 Night Crawler, although I havent seen one run, I might buy it.

So there, I dont see any car where they are junk where there is about 5 things you need to replace immediatly like on monster trucks like the T-Maxx.

You really think Losi is charging more than other mfg's on their RTR's? Take the Strike RTR for example, it is $30 more and includes a mid mounted motor and 2.4ghz radio.

luvdisstuff 10-24-2009 10:37 AM

I sort of gave up on Losi when I realized how much they cut corners on theire micros . I have only owned 2 losis, a micro-t and a micro dt. Both have been sitting on the shelf collecting dust. My 6 year old daughter likes the dt and she is the only one that runs it . I dont bother with them any more. The most annoying thing about the micros to me are those stinking cheapo e-clips that they use to hold the wheels on. Than they market and charge you for threaded axles. Come on, they know the e-clips suck crap but they put them on anyway. Why? So that they can screw the consumer for a few bucks for threaded axles. Its just little details like this that have totally turned me off to losi. They are more than willing to let the consumer do their R & D.

quietnas1 10-24-2009 12:02 PM

Wow I recant my last statement. Never knew Losi cut corners like that. Man I really like the truck though. But we will see. Got to get my Savage 1st for christmas.

butt_housed247 10-24-2009 12:33 PM

<div>that buggy is cool.  how well do you guys think it would work in sand?</div>