RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Is the Platinum Slash worth the Extra money of Standard Slash? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9565633-platinum-slash-worth-extra-money-standard-slash.html)

lacofdfireman 03-08-2010 08:30 PM

Is the Platinum Slash worth the Extra money of Standard Slash?

I wanna order a Traxxas Slash and am kinda debating what one to get.. The Standard Slash is $400 RTR out of the box and comes with everything but charger.. Then there is the Ultimate which is $400 also but does not come with TX or Rx.. I wanna do this right the first time and not regret it in the end... I have a buddy that will sell me his Spektrum 3.0 with rx for $100. So should I go this way or buy the standard with the Traxxas Rx? What's your opinion and why... Thanks.. Any help would be appreciated cause I wanna get this ordered...

From what I have read the Platinum comes with Everything but the Tx and Rx.. Am I correct in this or is there other things I will need to buy?

matt99 03-08-2010 09:06 PM

RE: Is the Platinum Slash worth the Extra money of Standard Slash?

http://www.traxxas.com/products/elec...ml#/content-00

there it tells you the difference, it comes with hop ups, but no paint,. radio, battery etc,

i remember seeing an ultimate rtr package with the hop ups and rtr somewhere for $630. but now it seems they just offer this two packages.

me personally i would get theRTR kit and if you want to hop it up later you can.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...NB0**&P=ML

lacofdfireman 03-08-2010 09:16 PM

One thing that is not offered with the Standard is the Center DIff.. Is this a big deal? Never had one so I don't really know the advantages vs. disadvantages..

MCSRacing 03-08-2010 09:50 PM

when if comes to the center diff, it all dependson if your racing or bashing .. for racing it makes the truck much better .... until ya bend a stub axle and its another month wait for parts.

mrsmartjohnson 03-10-2010 05:50 PM

You shouldn't have any problems getting parts, every Local hoby shop I've been in stocks parts for Traxxas more than any other! (they break more than others, too though) I would consider the SC10 or SC8 personally a lot better in build quality!

rast4man 03-10-2010 09:19 PM

My friend just got the PE and he already broke an axle at the track..literally snapped it. They don't loctite ANY screws on the entire truck. They look fantastic but IMO and also the opinion of my friend that bought it, they aren't worth it. Just get the stock one and upgrade as necessary.

ScottStaypuff 03-10-2010 11:27 PM

ORIGINAL: mrsmartjohnson

You shouldn't have any problems getting parts, every Local hoby shop I've been in stocks parts for Traxxas more than any other! (they break more than others, too though) I would consider the SC10 or SC8 personally a lot better in build quality!

You've never owned Duratrax I see. :D

I'm sure the SC10 is very nice and fast, but more durable than the Slash (at least the 2x4)? hmmm...

robwiljas 03-11-2010 12:01 AM

I went with the RTR and couldn't be happier. Besides the PE not having the radio and RX, it also doesn't come with a battery, and the body is clear and needs to be painted. Also the PE comes with softer compound tires for racing. If you plan to race that's great but if you're a basher they're going to wear out much faster than the RTR's tires. Another thing is all of the problems I have seen with bent or broken axles have been on the PE, not the RTR. A lot of people over on the Traxxas forums have switched the aluminum hubs out for stock RTR platic ones to stop the axles from bending.

SyCo_VeNoM 03-11-2010 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: robwiljas

I went with the RTR and couldn't be happier. Besides the PE not having the radio and RX, it also doesn't come with a battery, and the body is clear and needs to be painted. Also the PE comes with softer compound tires for racing. If you plan to race that's great but if you're a basher they're going to wear out much faster than the RTR's tires. Another thing is all of the problems I have seen with bent or broken axles have been on the PE, not the RTR. A lot of people over on the Traxxas forums have switched the aluminum hubs out for stock RTR platic ones to stop the axles from bending.
some people (like me) like getting clear bodies that need to be painted... I actually find it fun to try and come up with a scheme to get a unique look
I personally hate almost all paint jobs on RTR bodies that I've seen.

MTboy 03-11-2010 07:35 AM

I got the RTR and am pretty happy with the truck. Only issue is the plastic spacer on the slipper that melts.. I have 12 runs on it and after fixing that I havent had anything go. Personally fell it's the best truck I have owned.

matt99 03-30-2010 02:28 PM

i had to fall back and read my own words, since now i too am looking at the 1/10 slash, since i have the mini i plan to get a new RX for it anduse the 2.4ghz radio, does your guys 2.4 TX have a steering rate adjustment?
and does the traxxas RX have an antenna?

i was looking at the tower radio which has st rate, internal RX antenna, and stubby TX antenna, but if i get the rtr slash then ill havetwo radios just laying here while i use the tower one for both trucks.

i also wouldnt mind painting my own body, or buying a different battery if i got the PE slash