RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Car General Discussions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/)
-   -   Again? Some help required (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-car-general-discussions-179/9744007-again-some-help-required.html)

spoonrc 05-19-2010 03:42 AM

Again? Some help required

Alright so heres my story.

A month ago I sold my stock VXL/3500 system out of my slash 4x4 and bought a novak 5.5HV and a castle creations MMP. Received the parts and continued to install it into my slash 4x4, ran the car up and down the street for about 1 min(too dark for any longer) then brought it back inside to do some more work on it. When i brought it back in I turned the ESC off, checked the temps which were cold, and left my battery plugged in. I was working on the truck with the battery connected for no longer then 1 min then poof! The esc went up in smoke...

Was running this setup:

Mamba Max Pro (stock settings) 13ga wire with 6.5mm bullets
Novak 5.5HV sensored wire installed, running 12ga wires and 6.5mm bullet cups
geared 14/54 (stock is 13T)
3S1P 20C 5000mah 11.1V lipo w/ TRX connector as well as ESC

Does anyone know what went wrong here?

Now I emailed CC and they are going to send out a newy as soon as I give them my credit card details. I still haven't done that yet.

Heres my second story, seeing as the first ESC blew I decided to buy another MMP as I was too anxious to wait and I would just sell the replacement.

Received the newy 2 days ago, installed the entire package into my slash again this time I was running 4mm cups and 4mm bullets but everything else was the same. Ran up and down the street again for about 2 mins and then it stalled, jumped forward and stalled again. Ran up to the car, no throttle response or anything. I switched the esc off and turned it back on and it chirped and started fine but as soon as I gave it throttle it wouldn't move the motor but it just flashes a yellow light (this means a maybe failure within the esc). The motor will only spin if I push the car first as well. ESC smells burnt but still turns on fine but once its on it just flashes yellow. Can't test either as I don't have a spare motor or ESC.

I decided to email the Castle person again saying that he may as well send 2 ESC's now, he says its an issue with my setup.

Can anyone help me figure out if my motor is stuffed as well or have any input on this matter? Thanks guys!

Marine Brad 05-19-2010 04:36 AM

RE: Again? Some help required

This is why you should go nitro :) ewwwwww electric LOL [8D]

spoonrc 05-19-2010 05:49 AM

Been using nitro for years! :D

mechanizeddeath 05-19-2010 08:40 AM

Sorry I can't be much help, but these things do sometims just happen. My friend has let the smoke out of three XL-5 ESCs in about a two month span. Not a very good intro to RC for him. If he didn't enjoy the hobby so much I'm sure he'd have thrown in the towel after the 2nd one as they were just days apart. This was with stock gearing and a stock motor on a completely stock Rustler. I went over his truck with a fine toothed comb and could find nothing wrong. [sm=punching.gif]

Slo-V Flyer 05-19-2010 12:38 PM

Nitro has its own slew of issues, so let's not go there. ;)

How hot was the ESC, and motor after each of these runs? Is it possible your gear mesh is too tight? Or perhaps you can gear down to a smaller pinion gear and try that?

Have you tried a different battery? Try a 7 volt battery, lipo or Nimh and see what happens? Is there a short in your wiring anywhere along the line? Is there water being splashed around? It can sit in the ESC where it is tight and enclosed so it can take days to dry off completely (unless you dry it out yourself with a hair dryer and/or if you are comfortable enough opening it up).

MTboy 05-19-2010 02:17 PM

I run the same set up so not sure why your having issues. I have heard of some others with this set up having issues unless the set the MMP to sensored only mode with no timing adjustments.
But so far I'm running smart sense with not problems for the last 2 months or so.

Also have you updated the software? This has help some too..