Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Updating radio, need help

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:25 AM
imperviously

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Updating radio, need help

Hello, Currently im using a non 2.4ghz radio that came with an rtr so it's obv bad due to its age and such. I wanted to look into upgrading my radio and would want to use it for 2 rc cars, one i would like to do some friendly racing with, another is my drifter. How does that work out?would i need to buy something for the 2nd car? Also what radio should i get, looking for a good but cheap radio. Hearing lots of good things about spektrums and i have an old spektrum. im a big noob when it comes to radios/electronics to do with them, as i've always just used what came out of the box. So some good info would be helpful.

Thank You
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Updating radio, need help

For general messing around, this is all you need...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

The best thing about it is the fact that extra receivers are only $7 each, compared to 50 for spektrum receivers. I'm a Futaba/Spektrum guy, but if/when my 3pk fails, I'll be picking up one of these myself. It has all the settings I care about, although there is a bug in the hardware for the setting called throttle exponential, which you may want for drifting, but probably not unless you compete seriously. The great thing is the fact that I can outfit all my cars with compatible receivers for about 70 bucks lol.

If you wanted to spend some cash on something really good, the Futaba 4pk is a serious piece of kit. I would not recommend any of the middle range radios, since they barely compete with the Flysky I linked above. So either go budget or go big, the stuff in the middle ain't worth it.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:59 AM
imperviously

You don't recomend the 3pk? or 4pl? 4pk is like wayy to expensive, i was trying to find a used one or something of like 3pk or 4pl or some dxs or w.e.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:42 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would recommend a 3pk, it's what I've been using for 10 years, if you can find one for as little as that one i linked, go for it, otherwise what's the point? Are you gonna use all the functions a 3pk has? I raced in 3 classes and never used a setting that the cheap one doesn't also have. Also, why pay 50 bucks for your next FASST or Spektrum receiver for your next rc, when the receivers for the Flysky are just 7 bucks and perform the same! My 3pk has a modified trigger just the way I like it, that's the only thing stopping me from getting one of these and ten receivers. When the 3pk dies I will. I'd love a 4pk but I really dont need one.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:40 AM
benlinus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Errr Foxy i have a question here, I want to use the 3rd channel on my new 3PK as a break, but I would like it tied into my throttle. But when I use my throttle for forward movement, my 3rd servo is also moving in the opposite direction. How do I get the 3rd servo to move in one direction only, AND have it be active only with my brake?
Old 05-16-2013, 10:24 AM
kenstogie

ORIGINAL: Foxy

For general messing around, this is all you need...

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-gt3b-carradio-lcd.html

The best thing about it is the fact that extra receivers are only $7 each, compared to 50 for spektrum receivers. I'm a Futaba/Spektrum guy, but if/when my 3pk fails, I'll be picking up one of these myself. It has all the settings I care about, although there is a bug in the hardware for the setting called throttle exponential, which you may want for drifting, but probably not unless you compete seriously. The great thing is the fact that I can outfit all my cars with compatible receivers for about 70 bucks lol.

If you wanted to spend some cash on something really good, the Futaba 4pk is a serious piece of kit. I would not recommend any of the middle range radios, since they barely compete with the Flysky I linked above. So either go budget or go big, the stuff in the middle ain't worth it.
That's what i have, It works fine. there are some bugs with it but nothing crazy. It's sold under a couple different names if memory serves me. Like Hobbyking sells a version and so does hobbyparts and I think Nitrocars does too.... but don't quote me.