Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
Reload this Page >

My own review of the FlySky GT3B radio

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

My own review of the FlySky GT3B radio

Old 06-18-2012, 07:14 AM
rcmodelland
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My own review of the FlySky GT3B radio

I have no intention of moving from my MT4 to this system but I thought, its only $30 so why not try one out. Since i needed a few Tacon motors and was already paying for shipping I just added it to me order and it came in today. Also, since ive owned a number of different high and low end radios my own review of the FS-GT3B may be helpful.
http://www.rcecho.com/FS-RC-Model-FS...ver-TS898.html

Ill start at the beginning: The box looks good. Not like cheap packaging from china... its a nice box and nice packaging that gives you the impression you just bought a quality product. Its a small point but to some, it matters.

When I pulled the radio out of the package I was immediately impressed with how sturdy it feels. I fully expected it to be feather light and the plastic to feel cheap and brittle. It absolutely does not. It has decent weight to it (which I like), not too heavy where its hard to hold but not so light you feel like it must be poorly made. It has an overall quality feel. The plastic is nicely finished and its assembled very well. The plastic is sturdy and has a nice look to it. Honestly, of all the radios I have owned over the years the only one I feel actually looks and FEELs to be higher quality is my MT4... The GT3B feels better and IMO looks to have tighter tolerances than even my Spektrum and KO radios.

Buttons operate with a decent click... but dont have as positive or high quality a feel as the Airtronics, Futaba or KO radios ive owned. On the other hand, the buttons feel every bit as good as my traxxas and Tactic systems. The Steering wheel is also VERY sturdy, not flimsy like I expected. Its got a tight feel and doesnt wiggle. The drop arm it sits on does NOT flex one bit. The wheel itself is a little small for my liking but it has decent grip. The trigger is equally as tight, maybe a hair too tight for my liking. But it also does not wiggle from side to side at all.

I was impressed with how the antenna felt as I extended it up and down. Its, again, not loose or cheap feeling. Likewise the RX feels very well built and is TINY... though it does have a longish antenna... not really a big deal IMO.

The button layout is a bit confusing. The menu buttons are all well thought out but the steering and throttle trim buttons reside on the top of the radio while the dual rate buttons are located in a position you can reach when driving. Personally, I like to fiddle with my trims more than my dual rate when im actually driving so this doesnt make sense to me... but its not a HUGE deal... just worth a mention.
I wont ever use it, but I also like the position of the 3rd channel button... you operate it with your left middle finger... its positioned perfectly but not in a place youd accidentally push it.

One thing im not pumped about is that this radio takes 8 AA batteries. I wish it took 4 like so many other 2.4 systems. Its not a deal breaker but it does up the cost of getting it up and running and it will certainly effect final weight.

This is where my initial impressions end. I havent yet used the radio as it came in this morning. I wanted to post my initial physical impressions of it first and ill post my thoughts on how it performs when I get it all installed and use it a few times. Im not sure what ill run it it. I have to swap RX's in my speed rustler anyway so maybe ill try it there first.

Stay tuned for more info.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:52 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: My own review of the FlySky GT3B radio

Nice write up so far, looking forward to more. I'm not sure if you're aware, so I'll just mention it anyway, just in case, but there is a known bug in the firmware apparently, which causes throttle exponential not to do anything (this is from memory, you might want to google it, make sure I got my facts right). It's not a big deal for most people (and certainly wouldn't be for me for the $40 asking price).

It is also worth mentioning that this radio is marketed in Europe under 2 additional brands, Ansmann (a German VAR) as the Ansmann W6, and Eurgle (no clue what the model name is, if it even has one), which is another generic brand RC company.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

as for the 8AA's I did a simple mod to mine to make it take 1 cheap 3S lipo I got off hobbypartz for less than the cost of a set of Energizer AA's that lasts me twice a long as the AA's were between charges
Old 07-16-2012, 06:22 PM
racerxcali

Since i changed over to the new radio system GT-3B I put it in a 1/18th Associated 18r with there stock micro esc and it will go out of control move a 1/2in studder then do it again any one else having problems with this System ???

i put a new esc they said was the problem $50.00 and a new receiver in and a recharged a cpl nimh full Batts reprogrammed esc and radio here's what it doing anyone else please tell me your thoughts ???

so whats causing it now ???
[link]http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread.php?45410-Problems-With-FlySky-FS-GT-3b-Glitches-and-Studdering&p=330200
[/link]http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread.php?45410-Problems-With-FlySky-FS-GT-3b-Glitches-and-Studdering&p=330200

Old 08-28-2012, 05:51 AM
Team GxG

as for the 8AA's I did a simple mod to mine to make it take 1 cheap 3S lipo I got off hobbypartz for less than the cost of a set of Energizer AA's that lasts me twice a long as the AA's were between charges  

...as a REAL hobbyist would do!
Old 08-28-2012, 06:22 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: racerxcali

Since i changed over to the new radio system GT-3B I put it in a 1/18th Associated 18r with there stock micro esc and it will go out of control move a 1/2in studder then do it again any one else having problems with this System ???

i put a new esc they said was the problem $50.00 and a new receiver in and a recharged a cpl nimh full Batts reprogrammed esc and radio here's what it doing anyone else please tell me your thoughts ???

so whats causing it now ???
[link]http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread.php?45410-Problems-With-FlySky-FS-GT-3b-Glitches-and-Studdering&p=330200
[/link]http://www.rcdiscuss.com/showthread.php?45410-Problems-With-FlySky-FS-GT-3b-Glitches-and-Studdering&p=330200

Please make a new thread for this issue in the minis and micros forum, ideally without linking a competing forum, but if you have to it's ok.