Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum VS Futaba

Old 02-12-2013, 04:16 PM
rcfanatics

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum VS Futaba

Hi everyone, I have already started this discussion on another blog from another site but only one person answered so I was hoping to get a better shot here. So I just copy paste what I wrote.

"I keep hearing things about transmitters and the one that keeps coming out are the Spektrum series and the Futaba series.

The people that I've contacted about those 2 brand shows quite loyalty to them and would try to make me hate the other by telling that the other transmitter sucks or is crap, ect. Though they don't give any strong argument to show that one is better then the other.

So after some research I find both of them quite nice but Spektrum gets a small edge in the compatibility section. But those were my search's result. Now I want to hear those that actually uses those transmitters and hear what they have to say. I want to hear strong argument to make me a believer in which one I should go for. Just telling me that the transmitter sucks isn't an argument, I heard that plenty of time from both parties.

So please no bashing other people, I just want to choose a good transmitter.

Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:57 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Spektrum VS Futaba

EDITED: There are only a few top brands, these include Futaba, KO Propo, Sanwa (aka Airtronics), Futaba being the leader of the bunch in my own opinion, having owned radios by a lot of manufacturers. Spektrum stuff is decent, but not on the same level as these brands.

Futaba's disadvantage is that they are quite expensive and so are receivers, but then you can say that about spektrum too.

I have Futaba radios, Spektrum radios, Noname radios, Traxxas TQi, and I'll be looking to replace them all with a Flysky IT4 soon.

If you really a want a radio with EVERYTHING for an unbelievable price, you should look at hobbypartz.com for the flysky it4. It won't be quite up there in quality with the spektrum and futaba units, but on features and price (receivers with telemetry are only 26 bucks), its unbeatable.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:26 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Futaba is the superior of all other radio brands by a fair margin, always have been. Anyone saying otherwise either lacks experience or is a fanboy of whatever they run.

Have you ever heard of Airtronics?

Seriously though, Airtronics is very much up there with Futaba, if not higher in some cases.

Spektrum is junky in comparison - at least the DX3S and co.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:38 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Airtronics? You mean Sanwa? Airtronics is to Sanwa what OFNA is to Hong Nor. Sanwa=OEM.

Yes, good radios, I did forget about them (edited my post now), and they are almost as good as Futaba (not much to choose between them to be honest). I haven't seen a Sanwa radio in so many years.

I also omitted to mention KO Propo, which are also great radios, but their stuff is heavily overpriced and still not as good as Futaba. KO Propo make killer servos though.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:46 AM
HerrSavage

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Kopropo servos have been awesome.. Their radios are funky looking though.

I said Airtronics because that's what they're called in the States, but yes, I have the cheapo Sanwa MX-V. If I had the dough the MT-4 would be my radio of choice - and it's mid-tier, not top-tier/$500 like the 4pk or MX12 or whatever the top Futabas and Sanwas are called(bunch of unnecessary gadgetry for me...)
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 PM
rcfanatics

Thank you everyone for all your good suggestions, opinions and experience.

It has given me more info then anything I've found so far and far more options to look into.

I appreciate you for taking the time to answer my post.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:26 AM
bigblock454XXL
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only owned the Traxxas TQi and the Spektrum: DX2, DX3S and now the DX3C. The only thing I don't like is the Scroll button. TO ME: the Spektrum is easy to use. I don't have to refer to the manual every time I want to make an adjustment. For me the Spektrum has always been easy to use. Where I race the radios are either Spektrum or Futaba. Why I chose Spektrum over Futaba is that it came with the Losi XXL. And I bought one when they first came out. It was a great idea at the time and I just got used to it. But if I were ever to change brands, Futaba would be my next radio. Both are great radios. It's a matter of how much you wanna spend. You can't go wrong with either one. Let us know what you decide on.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:06 AM
Johnnysplits

Futaba!!!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:58 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used Futaba equipment since the mid 90s. They have been producing industrial controls way before they started making RC products. Foxy is right that their stuff commands a premium price, especially the FASST equipment. The FHSS radios are more moderately priced, however, I have no experience with those. I will say that the sport and pro grade products are solid products. I've never seen my 3PKS glitch; ever.

My brother uses an Airtronics MT-4. I am very impressed with it's features and performance. At $300 it's considered to be top sport / entry pro level equipment. The receivers are cheaper than Futaba FASST units and from what I tell they are equally reliable.

I've had 2 different Spektrum based radios. They seemed to work fine and like you said; there's the convenient compatability factor. However, I witnessed a plane loose signal within about 100ft line of site and get destroyed from the resulting crash. Ihad to trouble shoot a friend's buggy that was experiencing ESC glitching while being run by a Spektrum system. Itemporarily swapped in my Futaba R603FS receiver and used my radio. The car drove just fine with that. In the end, we installed a "glitch-buster capacitor" to fix his buggy.

Since these two events, Irealized that no radio system is fool proof. But it also conviced me that Spektrum wasn't for me and I should stick with what has been working for all these years.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:31 PM
JoeMaxx

I am in favor of the Spektrum radio system because I ran with JR radios for years and Specktrum is just a JR Radio with a new name produced for Horizan Hobbies. I have not experienced a glitch in the Spekturmradios yet even running 200 Feet away fromme.

I do like Futaba Radio systems at the high end but do not like the sport radio line like the PL series. I have looked Airtronics/Sanwa in the past and other radio systems. I like the way the Spektrum DX3C fits in my hand and it also comes with larger grips for people with huge hands.

I have a Traxxas TQi that came with my Slash VXL 4x4 and this thing was a pain in the butt to program because it does not have a LCD Screen. Counting the number of blinking lights is not for me. Unless you upgrade the radio so you can use your IPhone to program it seems kind of expensive to me to purchase this feature. I never liked the radios that came with my RTRs and always upgrade them when my budget allows.

Foxy did introduce me to the Flysky line of radios and while I like the price of them. It does not have the settingsI like but the price is great for others who are looking for a LCD Screen and easy to program radio system. So I respect his advice and would have no problem also suggesting them.

My LHS supports the Spektrum Radio systemsthan I can walk in and purchase a new receiver for my R/Cs. Wish they carried the Servos but only really carry HiTec which makes little sense to me becauseHiTec has a standard of their own in thesplines where as other factory servos have a crossover to another manufacture. Traxxas canbe upgraded to Futaba, HPI can be upgradedto Futaba also. I am slowly moving everything from my JR XS3 series FMrecievers tothe Spektrumradios.So far I love the way I can program them with the dial. I enjoy the features of this radiosystem.

Littlemore information on stuff so if you looking atupgradesthis is a good thing 25T Splinesare the most popular for Servos in many manufactures. Not a complete list since many newer R/Cs on the market these days.

23T
* Airtronics: 23T
* JR: 23T
* KO: 23T
* MRC: 23T
* Multiplex: 23T
* Sanwa: 23T
* Spektrum: 23T

24T
* Hitec: 24T

25T
* Ace/Thunder: 25T
* Blue Bird: 25T
* Cirrus: 25T
* Duratrax: 25T
* Futaba: 25T
* Hobbico: 25T (Some servos like the CS-170 uses 24 splines)
* HPI: 25T
* Kyosho: 25T
* Power HD: 25T
* Savox: 25T
* Tamiya: 25T
* Team Associated: 25T
* Tower: 25T
* Traxxas: 25T
Old 01-22-2016, 09:27 AM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You should NOT be buying products based on "support". You're just condoning the manufacturing of **** products, with high enough margins to give "no questions asked" support.

Spektrum is one of these companies who operate in this manner. Futaba is not. Never had an issue with any Futaba stuff I've bought, even 10 year old radios. Back into JR now that they've separated from Spektrum and find their stuff to be solid performing as well.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:51 AM
LLCOOLDL

Chorner I've had nothing but trouble with my Futaba unit, after just 28 years it has broken and I'm now having to buy a new one

I noticed someone saying about the Flysky 4-channel. I can get the Flysky FS-GT3C for just £35. Do you know if this radio is worth buying? (I know it wont last me 28 years!)
Old 03-18-2016, 05:56 AM
Pippin

...still use my 26 years old Sanwa Exerd (like this one http://homepage2.nifty.com/altezza-2...etc/exerd.html)
Great radio and quality.
...but waiting for this baby: http://www.sanwa-denshi.com/rc/car/propo/mt-s.html
Old 09-20-2016, 11:05 AM
difflock

hi,just bought a spektrum dx4c,,with 4210 receiver,thing i would like to know is,it says in the book that its for digital servos,i tryd it in my 1/5th scale desert truck and the steering has gone loopy,and only turn right then freeze up even when you let the wheel go,it stays to the right, and buzzes,,,have i fried my steering servo because i dont think its digital,,any help would be brilliant,,
Old 03-18-2017, 12:45 PM
McFlyz

Apples to Oranges in most ways, Just saying long time RC'ers will stay loyal in most cases. I stick with spectrum when buying but I do have Futaba that I love on my 1/18 scale cars and Airtronics for my planes. Find what fits you and what you need. If you have friends that have cars try there controllers. Go to your local shops and play with them, you should be able to find one you really like.
Old 02-24-2018, 06:15 PM
Fookison

I started with Spektrum and find that it is easiest to keep with the same RX's to use the one TX with all my vehicles. Great function and feel and always been reliable.
Old 01-26-2020, 10:30 PM
lynn7525
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spektrum!!
Old 01-27-2020, 05:16 PM
bill_delong

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Spektrum has come a long way over the years, when I first used them they offered DSM which was very glitchy... they introduced DSM2 and the glitching issues were still present, my 3rd and final try was when they introduced DSMR and guess what, still had glitching issues on a large outdoor track (though not as bad, I admit they keep getting better but the problems still exist)... you won't ever get me to spend another dime on Spektrum... lessons learned is that they use "Direct Sequencing" which doesn't handle overlap with shared frequences nearly as well as "FHSS" systems, more info here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...em-is-the-Best

As for Futaba, they are bit pricey so I haven't used any of there systems yet, I'm currently using the Graupner X-8E which is a good balance between price and features where I consider them in between Spektrum and Futaba in terms of quality/price