Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

help identify this msc

Old 09-12-2014, 10:33 AM
RustedRC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help identify this msc

I'm trying to restore my blackfoot i got off a guy online and this is the msc that was on it. when i got it from him he said he raced this truck back in the day. i didn't get any more info from than that and didn't think to ask about it because i didn't notice it was on there. now looking up parts and pieces to get up and running again but can't find this or info about. can someone tell me who made this and what type msc it is? thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0876.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	1.39 MB
ID:	2031359  
Old 09-12-2014, 11:25 AM
Trikken
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RustedRC View Post
I'm trying to restore my blackfoot i got off a guy online and this is the msc that was on it. when i got it from him he said he raced this truck back in the day. i didn't get any more info from than that and didn't think to ask about it because i didn't notice it was on there. now looking up parts and pieces to get up and running again but can't find this or info about. can someone tell me who made this and what type msc it is? thanks guys.
There were a few old school RC vehicles that used a rotary resistor speed control like that. It looks similar too, but I don't think that it is because it would say on it, the spd controllers that Kyosho used. It is simply a mechanical switch, usually they were 3 forward speeds and 1 or 2 reverse speeds. It would have a constant voltage input, 7.2-8.4 volts (6 or 7 cell nicads) and then depending on the position of the switch/rotary spd control the voltage would go to the resistor or in your case resistors, drop it, and give you lower voltage output and lower rpm to the motor. They were simple, fairly reliable if you kept them clean and used a switch lube on the contacts to control the build up of carbon deposits that would eventually come together without cleaning and burn it up. The other problem that they had was that the resistor(s) get hot as that energy is dissipated off and they eventually would crack and fall apart. But you can still find them. I even have a few old Tamiya one's laying around. Look at some Youtube videos of vintage RC cars and you can see how they worked, and you might even spot one like yours. A company called Marui (Ma-ruu-ee) made a few really low end RC cars, like the Big Bear Truck, back in the 80s that used a similar spd control as well but it's not quite right for theirs. If it is a Kyosho, and that is what it looks the most like to me, it may say it on it, molded into the plastic or perhaps printed on the resistors.

Couple of things. I would not run it above 7.2 volt if you want it to last. The best way to clean the contacts is with a pencil eraser. Don't use too much switch lube or the dirt sticks and wears it out faster. It would have used a simple pushrod with a Z bend at the servo arm end and a ball link at the spd control end to move it.

Sorry I couldn't definitively identify it for you.

Ken

Last edited by Trikken; 09-12-2014 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:24 PM
rcguy1958
My Feedback: (1)

+1.....looks just like a Kyosho to me also. I think the original was more like an Associated with the resistor built into it and mounting right to the servo.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:42 PM
RustedRC

Thanks guys. yeah there is no id markings on it anywhere. i have the capacitor for it and the big dual resistors with it to. so is this a little better than the regular msc or about the same?
Old 09-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Trikken
My Feedback: (2)

Originally Posted by RustedRC View Post
Thanks guys. yeah there is no id markings on it anywhere. i have the capacitor for it and the big dual resistors with it to. so is this a little better than the regular msc or about the same?
I don't remember ever seeing Tamiya put an MSC on the Blackfoot that was sealed/covered like the Kyosho MSC's were. Regardless if it is a Kyosho it is better than the stock Tamiya that would have been on a Blackfoot, IMHO. If you really want to restore it to original here is the stock one I found on Ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tamiya-mecha...item259529d815

I'd bet that these come along pretty regularly. Man when I was in the Hobby Business we would chuck these in the garbage nearly everyday as people would upgrade to ESC's. Another thing that you want to be aware of, if you're not already, is how fragile the metal bevel gears are in the differential. It would only take a few times of going from forward straight into reverse, especially from the fastest speed, to strip those little bevel gears. That was probably the most common thing to replace on the original Blackfoot. They did improve it in later editions of the Blackfoot Truck.

Good luck with it,
Ken
Old 09-12-2014, 06:49 PM
RustedRC

i have a backup msc from my hornet that is the same as the stock.i'm going to use that. the diff that came with the blackfoot is a thorp so thats a bonus but i'm trying to get the left output. i know the bay has a few but around 30 is a little much right now. i do have the bevel gear set up but the gear has some teeth stripped off. maybe thats why he got the thorp.
i might use this msc in it with the upgraded rear end.