Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

receiver antena ?

Old 12-01-2003, 06:29 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default receiver antena ?

What's the best way to splice together a severed antena wire? I plan on getting it replaced, but in the meantime I'd still like to run my car.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:41 PM

Default RE: receiver antena ?

You pretty much have to solder the wires to get the best connection possible.

In a pinch I have twisted the wires together, I mean a good twist, spreading out each little wire and making sure they're almost like braided together when you twist. Then Heat shrink. I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THAT, but like I said, in a pinch. I noticed glitching with this also.

Also the antenna wire length DOES matter (for am at least, assume fm also), so don't shorten the length by too much, 1/4" is probably okay, 1/2" is probably not.

I wouldn't say it needs to be replaced if soldered, you could even check the length/gage (sp?) with the manufacturer, and solder a new wire to the board quite easily, good as new. LHS should also be able to do this.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:15 AM

When I severed the wire at the track, I twisted it back together in order to race. I didn't expereince any glitching so I didn't want to do anything that could make it worse. Thanks for the advice.
Old 12-07-2003, 11:20 PM

In my opinion it is not a good idea to twist it together, the best option is to put a good solder joint on it until you get it fixed.
I keep a hobby torch in my field box as well as a length of solder. Cheap for those issues that come up.

In most cases you can order a replacement ant. and solder it into the board of the rcvr yourself, I have done it a couple of times with no problems. If you do not have a decent soldering iron (would not use hobby torch for that) and do not feel you have good soldering skills you might practice a bit or just send it in for service.

I have backup rcvrs. servos, etc so sending something for service is not an issue.

Dbow