Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Engine interference with radio

Old 03-31-2004, 12:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine interference with radio

Got a question that is stumping everyone around my area. Recently purchased a nitro 4wd on road car. Vehicle was built with a variety of parts and all appears in new condition. When the engine is not running, the controler operates all the servos (throttle, steering, braking) without a problem. As soon as I crank that engine up, servos start to whack out and operate on there own. My radio signals will not get through to the reciever. When i started breaking the engine in, i was able to operate at idle speeds and give it little blips of the throttle which it would respond to. This in my apartment parking lot. As i came out of a lazy turn, the engine went WOT and came flying at me. I stopped the car in time with my foot and it has not been the same since. I have tried switching out the crystals. Same thing. I have tried using a different radio. Still no fix. The only thing I can think that might be a problem is that my apartment complex offers free wireless internet. It is tied to a single hub that is not far away from my building. COuld this be the problem even though the frequency from my 27mhz is eons away from the 2.4ghz the wireless service is probably running at. Any suggestions/comments/are much appreciated. Please...pretty please!

RECAP of Problem: I can turn on the power to the radio and reciever with engine not running, controls are great. Start engine, the servos go wild and ignore commands, shut engine off, everything returns to normal and i have full control over servos.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Engine interference with radio

Is the receiver on double sided tape or something to help prevent vibration? Are all the wires well connected? Have you tried a different receiver? Batteries full charged? It kind of seems that the vibration from the engine may be causing a bad connection between the receiver and the servos.
Old 03-31-2004, 12:57 PM

The reciever is mounted on the aluminum frame. it is not insulated. All wires are tightly connected, batteries are brand new(even switched out with others) and i do not have another reciever[:@] . I guess the tape and reciever would be my next moves. What is your opinion on the wireless internet signals possibily effecting things? Thanks for your input.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you believe it's wireless internet interference, you may try and take the car where you believe you got the most interference then try out the radio/receiver without actually starting the R/C. If there is no interference then and since you wrote that it only happens when the engine is running, I'd tend to believe the interference is being caused by vibration or perhaps, your receiver is bad. Either way, I would add some "cushion" for your receiver.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:43 PM

It sounds like you may also have some loose parts on your car. Give the car a good once over and tighten everything down. Any metal to metal or carbon fiber to carbon fiber/metal vibration will cause electronic noise the f's with your receiver.

Try the different receiver as well. Make sure you just don't have a bumb receiver. I run into some of the same problems with my maxx. I've done everything to get rid of metal to metal noise, loose connections, mounted the receiver on foam... I still get glitching. Periodically, my throttle servo pegs out on me. It seems to happen more when I'm around powerlines. But since I don't live in the country, it's hard to get away from them.

Another thing I've found out is that FM setups are less prone to glitching either it be by vibration or your surrounding area. That's what I'm going to try next.
Old 04-04-2004, 11:44 PM

The 2.4 Ghz theory is good, but the harmonic is not quite right to affect your radio issues. I'd suggest:
1) Ensure there are NO frayed wires on your servos and battery connection. This is the cheapest check!
2) Get some threadlock blue, and go through EVERY screw you can find and secure them.
3) Insulate that receiver! You can get a sheet of foam rubber at almost any craft store, or even your LHS. Aircraft guys use this stuff to insulate and prevent impact shocks to their receivers.
4) Change your Crystals out for a new set, preferably a different freq! (See #5!)
5) Check around your neighborhood for CB antennas! I had issues with a car I bought used on 27AM due to proximity to an illegally amplified CB running directly on my freq... Channel 19-A, 27.195Mhz!!!!

Try these out... You might just cure your problems!