Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Nomadio Sensor Radio

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 12:00 PM
slago

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Digital Servos

Ok, I get it now. So those radios don't actually have a proprietary receiver in the Mini-Z, they just use the receiver that is built into the car already. To do this, the Transmitter uses a plug-in module that transmit on the AM frequency and channel that the Mini-Z uses. Am I getting this right?

If that is the case then I seriously doubt that this new Sensor radio would or even could be made to work for you since it uses a totally different frequency and radio technology from the mainstream offerings of today.

My analogy is this:

If your current car/radio system were a calculator, it would be like asking if Windows Operating system for your computer would run on your calculator.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Nomadio Sensor Radio

If my understanding is correct, a transmitter radio sends a signal to a receiver via a specific frequency and the receiver then communicates with the rest of the set up whether it is AM/FM or analog/digital. Consequently, the transmitter and receiver must be compatible. Hence, the reason for the AM module since radios, such as the Futaba T3PK, Airtronics M8, and the KO Propo mentioned earlier are "usually" FM radios.

It is also my understanding that the Nomadio transmitter radio still needs to send some type of signal to its receiver unit so the radio and receiver can still communicate. The way I foresee any "simple" compatibility between the Nomadio radio and the Mini-Z itself (in the Mini-Z's current form) is that the Nomadio sensor (receiver) either needs to be small enough to be placed under the Mini-Z body or on top of it and adapted either through the crystal plug-in or adapted directly to the speed control/receiver unit.

As you can see from the photos, a transponder unit has been mounted on the F1 body. The transponder itself attaches to a "Mini-Z adapter" manufactured by the transponder company, which is then wired to the Kyosho Mini-Z. Could this be done with the Nomadio sensor? I don't know. Does the Nomadio system also send out a specific signal which can be used in place of a transponder at the same time for lap counting and times? I don't know. However, if the Nomadio system could take the place of a personal transponder, still be that small, and still be wired into a Mini-Z, there may not be any difficulty using a Nomadio system with a Kyosho Mini-Z.

And for those who don't care about "mini whatevers", you may be surprised how much money is spent on these little Mini-Zs, especially in countries where space is limited. Here in the United States, even Radio Shack is even joining the bandwagon with its Xmod and giving away a 2004 Acura NSX valued at over $120,000.00. http://xmodsrc.com/stopdroprace/xrl/...rl_tourney.php The track the Shack is also using is made by RCP Tracks and has not been out that long, but had already been picked up by Kyosho and a few other companies. I also own an RCP Mini-tile track. Most in the R/C world, have probably at least heard of a Kyosho Kanai 3 1/8th Scale buggy. In my opinion, getting people involved through a "mini whatever" is very good for the R/C world as a basic introduction to more top of the line R/C vehicles.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:28 PM
slago

I think you are on the right track. The way to make the Sensor radio compatible with the Mini's would be to bypass the onboard receiver altogether or hijack it. I am suprised that Losi and Kyosho did not plan ahead that the consumers for the Mini's might want a better radio than the stock one and supply a plug-in port or make the onboard receiver easy to disable.
Old 05-14-2004, 02:31 PM
Desmo

I think you should wait and see what Nomadio comes up with. As for the mini-T, it is big enough for an aftermaket rec and ESC so unless the sensor rec is bigger than average it should be fine. The sensor radio range is no where near the 27mhz band like a mini-z. Unless someone makes a replacement rec/esc or the Nomadio rec fits with an aftermarket esc you are out of luck. I would wait if its a concern, its not like the 3PK is not good enough for the job
Old 05-14-2004, 03:13 PM
Deandome
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Desmo

I think you should wait and see what Nomadio comes up with. As for the mini-T, it is big enough for an aftermaket rec and ESC so unless the sensor rec is bigger than average it should be fine. The sensor radio range is no where near the 27mhz band like a mini-z. Unless someone makes a replacement rec/esc or the Nomadio rec fits with an aftermarket esc you are out of luck. I would wait if its a concern, its not like the 3PK is not good enough for the job

Careful!! The Mini-T and the Mini-Z are light years apart, and integrate their electronics completely differently. Frankly, the Mini-Zs are overpriced toys, and they do not use traditional Rx/ECSs.

The Mini-T, however, IS a real RC car, or it least it CAN be! They come with combo Rx/ECS units, and those won't EVER work with Nomadio (or any FM radio, for that matter). BUT, lots of owners are ripping out those units & dropping in "real" receivers and ESCs. So as long as the Nomadio tranceiver isn't obnoxiously big and/or heavy, it WILL work fine with the Mini-T.

But still, Nomadio will be well served to develop smaller "micro" trancievers down the line (maybe no/fewer telemetry links so you can make it smaller?), as you're gonna see LOTS of 1/18 scale cars popping up becasue of the huge response the Mini-T has enjoyed. The Xray road car is doing pretty well to, and it's set up for 'real' electronics right off the bat.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:11 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: Deandome
Frankly, the Mini-Zs are overpriced toys, and they do not use traditional Rx/ECSs.
They are "ALL" overpriced toys.

BTW, my Mini-T is FM (Novak GT7 ESC, JR RS300 Receiver). I also own a brushless Xray M18 (as well as a 1:4, 1:5, 1:8, 1:10x3, 1:12, 1:20 and 9 Mini-Zs).
Old 05-14-2004, 04:15 PM
Desmo

ORIGINAL: Deandome

The Mini-T, however, IS a real RC car, or it least it CAN be! They come with combo Rx/ECS units, and those won't EVER work with Nomadio (or any FM radio, for that matter). BUT, lots of owners are ripping out those units & dropping in "real" receivers and ESCs. So as long as the Nomadio tranceiver isn't obnoxiously big and/or heavy, it WILL work fine with the Mini-T.
Thats what I mean, I've seen several Mini T's with standard radio gear. I figured someone must have done this to a mini-z by now too.
But still, Nomadio will be well served to develop smaller "micro" trancievers down the line (maybe no/fewer telemetry links so you can make it smaller?), as you're gonna see LOTS of 1/18 scale cars popping up becasue of the huge response the Mini-T has enjoyed. The Xray road car is doing pretty well to, and it's set up for 'real' electronics right off the bat.
nomadio already said they will continue to devlope the Radio system down the road so we should wait and see whats coming before we get all crazy about what it will work in. Yes Mini-Z's are close to "toys" but they are still popular. But how many people that buy $140.00 mini-z's will buy a $500.00+ radio and try to stuff it into the thing? I would have to guess that MOST mini-z owners keep the stock radio. Even with a radio like the 3PK you are still handicaping it to AM by using it with stock Mini-Z's so what is realy the point?

Now I'm gonna hide while the hate mail comes in.....
Old 05-14-2004, 04:19 PM
slago

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

They are "ALL" overpriced toys.

BTW, my Mini-T is FM (Novak GT7 ESC, JR RS300 Receiver). I also own a brushless Xray M18 (as well as a 1:4, 1:5, 1:8, 1:10x3, 1:12, 1:20 and 9 Mini-Zs).
WOW! My guess is either your wife is into this hobby as well or you are single. ...so how close am I?
Old 05-14-2004, 04:27 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

I'm single, so it's a bachelor pad with lots of R/Cs. I also don't smoke, drink, or gamble. I used to drink and gave that up years ago. In my search for a new hobby, I found R/C which hasn't really been that long. I just kind of "dove" into it and found it easier and cheaper than racing the real car.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:34 PM
slago

Hats off to you TNB. I checked out your collection and it is a nice one. Beautiful toys. Nomadio had better be listening to you because I would think you are "EXACTLY" their market!!! That is to say "Adults who spend oodles of money on this hobby and who want the latest-greatest gear." (Geeks of the hobby!)
Old 05-14-2004, 05:08 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: Desmo
But how many people that buy $140.00 mini-z's will buy a $500.00+ radio and try to stuff it into the thing? I would have to guess that MOST mini-z owners keep the stock radio. Even with a radio like the 3PK you are still handicaping it to AM by using it with stock Mini-Z's so what is realy the point?
A hopped up Mini-Z can cost several hundreds alone, especially if one starts running 6-cells, mod motors, and so on so why wouldn't someone who is willing to spend that kind of money, shell out $500.00 for a radio if that radio has all the bells and whistles--and run several R/Cs.

You should have been at RCX. The "only" Mini-Z-Racers who raced with a "stock" radio were racing in the "MR-01 stock class" which mandates a stock radio. In all the other races, people were using a T3PK, M8 or the EX-10. And to think about it, to use those radios with a Mini-Z it costs even more because the driver still has to purchase the AM Conversion Module. Racers were using Turbo 35GFX chargers, Integy dischargers, and so on. Do the math.

ORIGINAL: slago
Hats off to you TNB. I checked out your collection and it is a nice one. Beautiful toys. Nomadio had better be listening to you because I would think you are "EXACTLY" their market!!! That is to say "Adults who spend oodles of money on this hobby and who want the latest-greatest gear." (Geeks of the hobby!)
LOL. I was called that at RCX too. Did you check out MiniZRacer, my website, or the photos here? MiniZRacer has the more updated collection. Most of the photos on RCU I usually change out when people ask about something or when I want to copy a photo. For example, there are three track photos in the RCU Gallery that I uploaded simply to help announce the $120K NSX giveaway at the Xmod tournament. And my website needs some serious updating--another hobby.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:13 PM
slago

LOL. I was called that at RCX too. Did you check out MiniZRacer, my website, or the photos here? MiniZRacer has the more updated collection. Most of the photos on RCU I usually change out when people ask about something or when I want to copy a photo. For example, there are three track photos in the RCU Gallery that I uploaded simply to help announce the $120K NSX giveaway at the Xmod tournament. And my website needs some serious updating--another hobby.
All of the above. Sounds like we have similar hobbies: PC's and RC's
Old 05-14-2004, 05:18 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Two good hobbies in my opinon though I have neglected my PC setup--I'm still waiting for those "large" flat screen monitors to drop some more (I have a dual monitor set up at home (2 cards, not 1). By the way, a Mini-Z home set up is much more fun than an R/C PC game.
Old 05-14-2004, 05:24 PM
Desmo

A hopped up Mini-Z can cost several hundreds alone, especially if one starts running 6-cells, mod motors, and so on so why wouldn't someone who is willing to spend that kind of money, shell out $500.00 for a radio if that radio has all the bells and whistles--and run several R/Cs.
My point was that most mini-z owners won't spend that much on a radio. Yes racers and poeple like us (I have WAY to many cars) will spend that kind of money.
Old 05-15-2004, 02:53 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Default RE: EX-5 AD FM

Kyosho also appears to be changing their Mini-Z radio--FM Reciever Unit.

http://www.kyosho.co.jp/rc_model/min...r/ex5ad-e.html

http://www.mini-z.jp/modules/catalog...by=dateD&min=5
--look at EX5AD under the black Enzo Ferrari
Old 05-15-2004, 04:10 PM
Desmo

"Control signal PFM system (not interchangeable with existing PPM)"

but it is an improvement.

"Regarding Adband:
Adband is a new radio wave frequency proposed as a new standard for radio control use. It can operate with existing radio waves without disruption and allows up to 20 models to be operated together."
Old 05-15-2004, 06:09 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Default RE: Adband PC Interface

Didn't you read this "PC Interface" part? These seems like another way "in" and a possible way for Nomadio to work with Mini-Zs.

"Regarding I.C.S:
Kondo Science Corporation proposes a new communication standard for RC machines. Units that do not currently correspond to Adband will be able to be set-up accordingly through a personal computer. To use the I.C.S. function, a PC interface is required to be purchased separately, as well as a personal computer with the software installed."
Old 05-15-2004, 06:35 PM
Desmo

Yes but its not the same as sensor.

how big is the rec/esc in a mini z?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:42 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

See the photos in post #47. It's basically a flat board about the size of a personal transponder.
Old 05-15-2004, 06:47 PM
Desmo

could you measure one?
Old 05-15-2004, 06:56 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

The board is 3/4" x 1 3/4" x 1/16".
Old 05-15-2004, 07:01 PM
Desmo

that's it? it looks bigger in the picture. Well with the size of ESC now some one has to come up with something. Maybe like someone else said nomadio will come up with a mini rec and or rec/esc without some of the features of the standard one.
Old 05-16-2004, 01:39 PM
sgtstop

Nomadio,

Would you please advise via PM when more info has been made available on this radio? Your topic has been hijacked, and I'm frankly quite tired of one or two people using your post to push their views on others. TNB: I could care less if you "bite my head off" as one other reader put it. You are narrow minded and what seems to me pushy and ignorant. Let Nomadio respond to you instead of getting yourself worked up over what [i]you[/] think should be included in this new technology. You asked your questions, Nomadio responded by advising they are researching it. LET THEM ANSWER!
Old 05-16-2004, 02:28 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

First, Nomadio did not start this thread (Post 1). Second, Nomadio mentioned that he “can answer any questions that come up about the Sensor and of course will provide updates as they occur” (Post 2). Third, Nomadio and others asked me for information. Fourth, I don’t really care what you think though it appears that some do care what I think and have inquired even more (Post 60, etc.). Fifth, I also know that Nomadio has reviewed this board even after your latest post. Quite frankly, I know what I want and I don’t have to resort to personal attacks unlike you have seemed to do in Post 73. Sure, I could resort to such childish tactics too but that still wouldn't answer my questions and it would not provide any feedback to Nomadio. After all, that may be one of the reasons for monitoring the boards. If not, someone will probably comment. Logically or not, that is another matter.
Old 05-16-2004, 03:02 PM
slago

ORIGINAL: sgtstop

Nomadio,

Would you please advise via PM when more info has been made available on this radio? Your topic has been hijacked, and I'm frankly quite tired of one or two people using your post to push their views on others. TNB: I could care less if you "bite my head off" as one other reader put it. You are narrow minded and what seems to me pushy and ignorant. Let Nomadio respond to you instead of getting yourself worked up over what [i]you[/] think should be included in this new technology. You asked your questions, Nomadio responded by advising they are researching it. LET THEM ANSWER!
What is this all about? I suspect that Nomadio wants to know these things. TNB seems like a big boy to me and thus can make up his own mind as to whether this radio will work for him and purchase accordingly. Personally, If I were Nomadio, I would not worry about the Mini crowd, at least not yet. But, I suspect TNB may know this too or at least is capable of accepting it if that becomes the fact. Regardless, I bet this thread is helpful for Nomadio whether you think so or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.