Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Servo Froze Stuck

Old 05-29-2004, 07:57 PM
ncarcticwolf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Froze Stuck

Howdy,

came across a first today...took the 1/8 buggy down from its winter resting place...and I loaded up some fresh batteries...throttle servo worked great...but the steering servo was frozen...

I turned off the power...and went to hand-rotate the servo horn...and I mean frozen like a block of ice...I said well...if was broke then what would it hurt if I twisted the fool out of it...and finally it twisted free...turned the power on to the car and steered alright the first couple of turns...then froze a couple more times...repeated this a couple times and now works fine...

any thoughts?...is the servo bad...

is there a way to service a servo?

the servo is airtronics make...metal gearing...

thanx
-Wolf-[8D]
Old 05-29-2004, 10:41 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

Default RE: Servo Froze Stuck

if i were you, i would get a hair dryer and heat it up before even trying to spin the horn, there could be a possiblility that there might be a lil damage, since you used force to spin it, but who know...maybe noting is wrong, so use it for now, but next time don't spin the horn [8D]
Old 06-01-2004, 10:47 PM
nobody077

You say it sat for the winter, and has metal gears? I would open it up and check to see if there is any signs of rust on the gears and give it a good cleaning and use some diff grease or lithium grease on the gears. the gears may have been spot rusted together and you broke them free.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:24 AM
ncarcticwolf

great suggestion...

I have never opened up the servo before...but I suspect the same...needin' some lube in there...(when I open it up...I will put an additoinal reply...as to what I found)

interesting thing though...I did come across a replacement set of gears that you can buy for these servos...just $15...can't beat that...

thanx
-Wolf-[8D]