Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
 Which fm, syth. radio for buggy under $200? >

Which fm, syth. radio for buggy under $200?

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Which fm, syth. radio for buggy under $200?

Old 10-20-2004, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which fm, syth. radio for buggy under $200?

I'm looking for an FM synthesized radio for an 1/8th scale buggy which i'll be racing next year. I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years and so much has changed. I don't want to spend over $200 and servos aren't important unless it comes with the Airtronics 358's, or 360's I do like the charging jack some of the radios have in order to recharge the battery pack.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a ton!
Old 10-20-2004, 07:21 PM
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Which fm, syth. radio for buggy under $200?

ORIGINAL: Texas Max Power

I'm looking for an FM synthesized radio for an 1/8th scale buggy which i'll be racing next year. I've been out of the hobby for about 8 years and so much has changed. I don't want to spend over $200 and servos aren't important unless it comes with the Airtronics 358's, or 360's I do like the charging jack some of the radios have in order to recharge the battery pack.

Any suggestions?
Thanks a ton!
I'm a huge futaba fan... but right now the best value is the Airtronics MX3S
Futaba has finally started shipping their mid level Synth radio the 3PM-TFS.. but it comes with a non-synth receiver.. makes no sense.
Old 10-20-2004, 09:59 PM

Thanks. I'll check out the MX3S.

EDIT. Just checked it out on Towerhobbies. Is the ABS function/option that important for 1/8scale buggy racing? Anyone have any thoughts on that? TH lists like 7 different mx3s radios. Is there a particular one you're referring to?

Out of curiousity, what makes you recommend that radio?
Old 10-22-2004, 12:47 PM
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Texas Max Power
EDIT. Just checked it out on Towerhobbies. Is the ABS function/option that important for 1/8scale buggy racing? Anyone have any thoughts on that? TH lists like 7 different mx3s radios. Is there a particular one you're referring to?

Out of curiousity, what makes you recommend that radio?
The top three (in terms of features and quality) radio companies are Airtonics/Sanwa, Futaba and KO and JR.
KO doesn't have a synth option yet.
Friends of mine have not been happy with their XS3 JR radios so I'm not going to recomend that.

That leaves the other two.

They're both good.
The only problem is the "kit" you get... Futabas is not as good as the Airtronics.

Now.. to answer your other question.. they're all the same.
THe MX3S is the MX3S.. what you're looking at is different package options and different frequencies.
If you have excisting FM receivers.. you want to choose the same frequency range as what you have now. So 27mhz or 75mhz.
If you don't. Go with 75.

Then there is how many servos, what servos and weather you want a basic ESC along with that.
Old 10-22-2004, 01:48 PM

Ok. Thanks again.

I'm starting from scratch and have no existing equipment. It looks like i'll look at the Airtronics radio gear to match their 358 or 360 servos.

Thanks for the info.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:53 PM

I've been VERY happy with my JR XS3 ... I think it's worth looking into.
Old 10-22-2004, 11:38 PM
My Feedback: (2)

Your best bet (I just went through this same issue with my revo), and cheapest (well here locally anyway) is going to be the JR XS3. Its fully synth unlike the Futaba as the other peeps mentioned. Its also got decent servos, not great but better then the rest. Also I personally held then both and to be honest the button placment of the JR XS3 was 10 times better then the Airtronics and it didnt feel nearly as cheap. I ended up with a M8, but I was a second away from an XS3 or XS3 pro. The pro has a nice grip, and a smaller 310 receiver...its tinyyyy (so is the regular JR 300). I think it may also have more car memory but im not sure....maybe its just the grip and receiver. Also comes with a nice cool looking/feeling wheel.

Good luck...
Old 10-23-2004, 09:21 PM

I've got the JR XS3. I think it's a nice radio. I have no problems with it and would recommend it. I was think about a second one to replace my old, very old Futaba radio.