Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Car Radio Equipment
 Adjusting the servos? Brakes not working very well. >

Adjusting the servos? Brakes not working very well.

Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Adjusting the servos? Brakes not working very well.

Old 12-28-2004, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting the servos? Brakes not working very well.

I'm a newbie.

My brakes are very weak. How do I adjust the Throttle EPA switch to get more breaking power? And should the servo reverse switch be in the N or R position?

Also any links to adjusting steering EPA would be very helpful.

Much appreciated!
Old 12-28-2004, 02:52 AM

Default RE: Adjusting the servos? Brakes not working very well.

Boy you *are* a newbie!

First of all, it is difficult for us to give good advice if you do not specify what model of car and radio you have. I’m going to assume that you have a gas vehicle.

The servo reverse switch does exactly what its name says. This switch will reverse the direction of movement for the servo. Normally, the switch is set to “N,” for “Normal.” For example, if you turn your car left at the transmitter, but the car itself turns right, then you should set the switch from “N” to “R,” for “Reverse.”

From your description I would say that the servo is working properly, so do not change the switch.

The Throttle EPA is set at the transmitter. You must review the instruction manual for your radio to learn the proper procedure. Remember that some radios do not have an EPA adjustment. In any case, adjusting the EPA will not give you more breaking power. Most likely, the problem is with the servo or with the brake.

The servo could have damaged gears. In this case you need to replace the gears. The servo could also be underpowered, and simply doesn’t have enough power to work the brake properly.

The brake could be worn. The brake could have oil on it. Also, the brake linkage might not be set properly.

Examine the brake and the servo and tell us what kind of car and radio you have.
Old 12-28-2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks Graystar.

Do you think i could be the newest newbie of neo nu-newbian proportions? I'm actually 3 days new!

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I see what you mean, I could have any (****ty) old car with any kind off transmitter.

My car is a brand new Hyper 7 Pro with a Futaba T2PHKA radio. I'v only run the car twice and the first time the brakes were like this, so i guess it's not one of the mechanical problems you suggested. With the breaks applied, the wheels lock up only when it's going at a snail's pace. When it's going fast, it just seems to slow down a little bit quicker than when i just take my finger off the throttle. Very **** performance for such a highly rated car.

Throttle EPA 'H' is set at 6 and 'L' is at 6. The 'throttle' servo reverse switch is set to 'R'.

I saw the guy test the breaks in the shop. They weren't as sharp as i thought they would be, but seemed better than now.

There is a bit in thr manual about 'NEUTRAL, HIGH, AND BRAKE MAX POINTS SETTINGS', but it doesn't go into deatil. I don't suppose this could be the problem?

Any feed back would be really appreciated.

The MoGGster!
Old 12-28-2004, 11:48 AM

As far as I know the Hyper 7 Pro is a kit car. It sounds like you purchased the car assembled. That means that someone assembled it, and there’s no guarantee that the car was adjusted perfectly. So you may still have a mechanical problem caused by improper adjustment.

That “NEUTRAL, HIGH, AND BRAKE MAX POINTS SETTINGS” section only relates to electronic speed controls, so it doesn’t affect you.

The “High” sets the throttle end point. The “Low” sets the brake end point. 0 gives the least movement. 10 gives the most movement.

Setting the Low side to 7-10 will give you what you want. Try that and see if it helps, but as I said, that might not be the problem. Even if the car and radio are new you may still have an improper linkage setup. In fact, you may end up damaging your servo or your linkage if you change the EPA without understanding how it affects the linkage.

Also keep in mind that your radio comes with two standard servos and you may simply have a torque problem. And don’t forget to check the brake for oil on the discs.