Community
Search
Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

jr r-1 radio

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2005, 10:38 AM
terminator23

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr r-1 radio

i was wondering if anyone was using this radio and what they thought of it. i got it for x-mas and i seem to like it. also, getting the spektrum system and wondering if anyone has used it or know anything about it. i know a little about it but more concerned about its realiability more than anything. one more thing, what is the rechargable pack that will fit in the r-1 radio as i don't want to have to buy aa batteries. thanx to all that do help.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:13 PM
Johnboy Walton

Default RE: jr r-1 radio

I got the R-1 Pro when I got back into RC about 3 months ago. I really liked its
feature set, along with the ease of getting at everything.

One other guy at our track runs one, and he seems pretty happy with it. For me
it really came down to having PCM to get the failsafes for if I ever run Nitro. I've
had zero glitching problems (even when others did). And though I'd never do it
or recommend it to anyone else, I hear that its glitch-free nature holds up even
if you swap crystals without a retune.

One feature I've really been diggin' on lately has been the easy-to-tweak throttle
curve along with the drivemode switch. If you set it up so that it's slow to respond
initially, then picks up, it's a bit more gentle on tighter courses. Then set the other
switch position with a more aggressive curve, and it'll feel like the ESC has more
punch, even though it's just the transmitter. If your track re-configures every week
like ours does, this gives you two quick options to try at the flick of a switch.

Spend some quality time with the servo position display (MODE LIST, TRIM POS,
PAGE), and see how the various settings on the other pages effect how the
servos will actually be told to respond. I found this especially useful for seeing how
the ABS behaves. I have it turned off currently, since I'm running a stock-type class,
but I think for a nitro with really strong brakes it would be a nice feature.

Alas, I cannot speak to the Spektrum unit. Frankly, you've already got PCM. Why
garbage it up with some aftermaket unit that's not even designed to work with your
transmitter. A couple crystal sets should have you all set.

As for a rechargeable, there is a connector inside the grip for the stock battery box.
Either find a pack that matches it, reuse the old connector on a new pack, or change
the connector over to something you can work with. It's not a real high-current
application, so any connector (probably a servo extension would be best) will do. The
R-1 definitely likes to gobble batteries, but with PCM, you can survive on a weak signal.
I once walked out of the building we race in, stood 5 feet outside the door, with the
transmitter antenna down (not extended) and reception was fine. That's another reason
(in my mind) not to need the Spektrum. Save your money for practice time-it'll make
you faster more quickly than any new form of modulation will.
Old 01-03-2005, 03:57 PM
TopDeadCenter

The only person at my local track that owns one, is the same person that wins every race he enters. That kinda says something!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:35 PM
terminator23

i appreciate all the info that you have given me. i will be running mine for 3 different vehicles (xxx-4, kanai 2 buggy, kanai 2 truggy). i wish that it was nice enough out here that i would have time to mess around with the controller a little. we have an indoor track that runs nitro and electric, but it is 1 1/2 hours from my house and it is really hard to get there with a wife and a 3 yr. old boy.

i guess i should have said that i already spent money on 3 of the synthesized receivers but were fm. so i guess i am wondering if the pcm system will work with these receivers? i know it will work, but is there also pcm receivers?

i found an 800mah rechargable battery pack for the r-1. wondering if this is going to be enough juice to last for 3 vehicles or am i smarter to make my own?
Old 01-05-2005, 10:27 AM
Johnboy Walton

If you get the PCM module with the R-1, it will NOT work with
a regular FM receiver. You'll need the correct mode PCM
receiver (s- or z-mode) to work with whichever version of
PCM transmitter module you're using.

I don't know if there is an FM module for the R-1, but I guess
you could go that route if you wanted to. New receivers for
the S-PCM transmitter module (R330) are about $130 each,
but you get the noise-hardness of PCM and a built-in failsafe
along with that. I've got mine set up so that when I shut off
the radio, it goes to full brake and leaves the steering where-
ever it was. I haven't needed it yet, but if I had a nitro, I
wouldn't run without it.

I guess the big question is which version of the transmitter
module did you get. From there it will be a lot easier to suggest
a direction to go in.

As for rechargeables, most people I know are running the 2000mAh
digital-camera AA's and just using the charger that comes with them.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:25 PM
theJRguru

terminator23 glad to hear you are happy with your JR R-1. There is a pre-made battery pack that is available for the transmitter. Looks like you found that out, but the part number is JRPB9280 (800mAh NiCd), wall charger is part number JRPC222 and they are available at any JR dealer.
Johnboy Walton you are incorrect about the module for the R-1, It can transmit in FM (PPM) with the PCM labled module. All you have to do is go into the transmitter setup menu and select PCM or PPM (FM) modulation to work with the receier you have, PCM or FM. If you are using a synth RX then all you have to do is make sure the RX is assigned to the channel the transmitter module is on. Also on the Spektrum system. It has been developed for each transmitter we are producing it for. There are 4 different modules produced that will fit its specific radio type. Air M8 has its own module, JR R-1 has its own, KO PROPO Mars has its own, and Futaba and Hitec share the same module because both manufactures use the same module type. The receivers are the same for all modules. We have spent a long time developing this system, much longer than the Nomadio has been around and have done as much R+D as possible to insure that any RC surface person can use this system with confidence and reliability without breaking their bank. It is a step up from PCM because there is only a very rare chance (1 in 4 billion) that a glitch may happen, and if one does occur then Spektrum does have a failsafe system that will kick in just like a PCM system. The price is reasonable and the system is very easy to set up and use.
You were right on about the battery for the TX. terminator23 would get the best set up if he uses the 2000mAh NiMh setup you described. The 800 pack is good but most everyone I know that has a R-1 uses after market NiMh cells in the standard battery holder.
Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions please contact the Horizon tech center at 877-504-0233 and they will be able to help.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:41 PM
terminator23

i appreciate all of the insight about the setup of the ppm and pcm. do you have any idea on when the spektrum system will be available to the public?
Old 01-11-2005, 07:15 PM
Johnboy Walton

JRguru-

Are you a Spektrum employee, or JR, or both (I don't know if
Spektrum is in bed with JR or not).

Either way, sorry for the mis-information on the transmitter module.
Futaba has a few different modules for the 3PK (isn't there one for
each method of modulation?), I simply assumed JR did the same
thing. That's cool to know that I can run a regular FM receiver
with the R-1 radio - it'll save some cash on my next car.

Anyway, good luck terminator with your multiple vehicles. Let us
know how it works out - I'd love to try some synth receivers with
the R-1.

Mike
Old 01-11-2005, 07:17 PM
harlidson

The Spektrum units for the M8 should start shipping the first or second week in February.
Old 01-11-2005, 07:57 PM
theJRguru

Johnboy hey glad the info helped out a bit. I work for Horizon Hobby. We own Spektrum RC and also distribute JR, Losi and quite a few others. I can assure you that Spektrum RC is totaly seprate from JR; different manufactures, development team, and management. If it was totaly developed to boost JR we wouldn't be releasing the module for the M8 first or even make one for other radios. Spektrums goal is to provide the whole RC community with a glitch free system at an affordable price to help things be more safe and raise the level of fun that you have with RC, so you spend more time driving and less time fussing with your radio and channels. I'm not trying to push one thing or the other, just wanna help answer some questions to help you have more fun with this hobby.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:08 PM
terminator23

do have any idea when it will come out for the r-1. i have an itch to try it. iwas at the track last weekend and had to wait 45 minutes for the frequency clip as this kid had it in the pits and i had no idea where it was. talk about ruining an afternoon. but oh well. amybe in a month or two i won't have to worry about hat question anymore " anyone on frequency 61?"
Old 01-24-2005, 03:11 PM
flavp

I would be very interested in the Hitec unit.
When will it be available?
Will it be available outside US? in Europe? in France?
Old 01-31-2005, 03:29 PM
flavp

No more details at that time???
Old 02-02-2005, 04:40 PM
theJRguru

Hey treminator, the spektrum units for JR should be out late March. It will the last to come out in the line. The M8 version is shipping now, the KO Profi/mars will shipping in a about 2 to 3 weeks, the FUT/HiTec will be shipping around the beginning of march.

Flavp - If your HiTec transmitter has a module in it then the FUT/HRC version will what you want. There will be no international restriction. The 2.4GHz band is not restricted like the 75MHz in the US and the 35MHz in Europe. Any local dealer that get supplies from Helger Dist in the UK will be able to get that spektrum unit for you.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-02-2005, 04:41 PM
theJRguru

tERminator sorry got the fingers mixed up.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:56 AM
cool168

Hello everybody,

Would anyone can help!? I just got a used R-1 but no user manual with it. Do you know which web-site or anywhere else I can get a copy of it. Thanks.

cool168
Old 02-28-2005, 03:24 PM
theJRguru

Hey cool168, here is a link to the Horizon Hobby website. You can download a copy of that manual there. Sorry for the late responce. Thanks, The guru

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Shop/ByC...odID=JRP3360**