Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

To good to be true??

Old 03-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Cummins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To good to be true??

I saw [link=http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/product.asp?productid=5590&catCode=116&tamiya=258]this radio gear[/link] and almost thought it be too good to be true for the price. I currently drive touring cars but am hoping to expand my rc collection as much as possible. Sure, pistol grip is my prefered option but the Airtronics MX3 is much more expensive and probably not worth it. What are your opinions? Thanks alot, oh, also, another question. Is their compatibility problems with recievers? If I get this and then get a different company reciever and match the crystals, will their be any problems?
Old 03-21-2005, 11:29 AM
dazzahughesuk

Default RE: To good to be true??

i have that exact same radio. Hate it! its a good radio, easy to set up etc...but i really hate Hitec!

I had a faulty receiver. The Receiver and failsafe are in the same unit. plus you only have a button to press to say when you want the failsafe to cut in and what position the servo.

So i had the receiver replaced (free) a normal Hitec one and a venom fail safe installed. so far so good.

BTW, It was installed in my Marder Race is which is for sale on ebay.

Darren
Old 03-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Cummins

You are selling your Marder Race on e-bay! Link please!

Was the only reason you disliked the radio because of the reciever, if so, I will probably get it.
Old 03-21-2005, 02:31 PM
dazzahughesuk

YHPM mate
Old 03-21-2005, 02:46 PM
Cummins

what does YHPM stand for?
Old 03-21-2005, 03:00 PM
dazzahughesuk

YHPM = You Have Personal Message
Old 03-21-2005, 03:14 PM
Cummins

Oh yeah, thanks.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:06 AM
amfn_13

The hitec is a good radio, but hitec have a poor reputation. Another good stick radio is the Sanwa Gemini 2, which has exactly the same features as the Hitec, but has better compatibility with other brand rx. It retails for £150, but I got mine for £100 here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

The shop selling them is Phil Greeno models in Harrow. If you dont want to buy through ebay, give them a call (the number is in the advert) and they will sell it to you direct.

HTH
Alex
Old 03-22-2005, 02:20 PM
Cummins

Thanks alot for that link. But I think if the only difference is in the rx compatibility, I will go with the Hitec because of the 20 model memory, however, if the Sanwa is generally better quality, I will go for that. Thanks alot for the link, and also thanks alot to dazzahughesuk for the info he has given me.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:10 PM
amfn_13

I personally have never used a hitec radio, but heard about a lot of compatibility problems with them,(they have different types of receiver: dual conversion, single conversion etc and you need different crystals for each otherwise it won't work) and I've never had great luck with their servos.
If you really need the 20 model memory, get the hitec, but I would get the Sanwa and save some money in the process.

Good Luck,
Alex
Old 03-23-2005, 02:18 AM
Cummins

Ok, I might do that. I don't need 20 model memory, 7 about right, 5 is pushing it but thats ok. If I do ever get a 6th model it will probably be large scale and so will buy a top of the range radio