Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

I have a Radio Equipment Dilemma

Old 03-21-2005, 11:25 AM
dazzahughesuk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a Radio Equipment Dilemma

Here is the dilemma,

In a couple of days i shall be purchasing a FG Monster Beetle, after selling my Marder.

I don't know which radio to get. I want good quality, interferience free etc...

Ive been looking a the Ko Pro Vantage Espritt II Type R and the Futaba 3PK. I know the 3pk is the 'dogs balls' of radios, but heres the Dilemma, i am more used to stick than pistol man, but do i get the 3pk and get used to it just so i can have one of the'best' radio on the market. or do i go for the Vantage Esprit II Type R??

When i orignally brought my marder i purchased a Hitec Aggressor, which i used for a short while. I got on with it ok. Ten i went and brought a Hitec Eclipse Pro stick and i had a few probs with that with interference etc.. So i want to get the best Radio money can buy.

I going to get digital servos, not sure at this moment. Maybe the Multiplex jumbo digi (1/4 scale) (for steering) and for the throttle and break not sure.

The rrp on these said radios is
Ko Pro Vantage Espritt II Type R £315, but have seen it for £275

Futaba 3PK £319, but have seen it for less...£140 on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW

Any advice ideas would be most helpfull in my little dilemma.

Thanks (in advance)

Darren

Old 03-21-2005, 03:50 PM
dazzahughesuk

Default RE: I have a Radio Equipment Dilemma

anyone?
Old 03-31-2005, 04:52 AM
liteuser

Hi
I have a similar problem as i am totally confused by FM, AM, Digital etc. I am in the process of buying a Smartech Traveller and need to put radio gear in it, and to control it. Futaba springs to mind, i have got to work to a budget 0f about £100, new, second hand, whatever, i want 3 channel's as you never know if reverse is going to be available for the buggy or for a 2nd gear etc. i like the sound of ABS(rules out futaba 3PDFX), i want a good range of at least 200 meters. I have finally got the servo problem sorted(i think), Futaba S9402 or S3305 these are pretty torqueey and fast, so steering and throttle response should be good. I would like to know which receiver and transmitter to get. I live in the UK so does it matter about AM,FM,40mhz,75mhz etc. I have not got a clue and i am getting peeeeeed off searching on the computer for info, its taken me a week to sort out the servo's. Model shops in Wales only help if you are spending cash on their over priced crap.........
Please help me, before i take up shooting.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 AM
Pigsmightfly

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

27 Meg = 26.96 MHz to 27.28 MHz. Maximum effective radiated power 100 mW. Surface and Air use.
35 Meg = 34.950 MHz to 35.300 MHz. Maximum effective radiated power 100 mW. Model aircraft use only.
40 Meg = 40.665 MHz to 40.995 MHz. Maximum effective radiated power 100 mW. Surface vehicle use only.

Above are the frequencies we can legally use in the UK, 75MHz is US only I think??

FM is less susceptible to interference than AM.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:32 PM
liteuser

do you know where i can find out for sure?
Old 04-10-2005, 02:35 PM
Pigsmightfly

Have a read through this site mate - http://www.ukrcc.org/

Lists all the frequencies set aside for use in each country.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:52 AM
jandb917

i have used both am and fm and out of the two FM by far is the better of the two the range is better and i have way less interference, i just upgraded to an Sanwa M8 with the Novak syntheisized reciver and tx modual and i love the easy of changing freq's of course i dont know what you can use in the UK and this is from my personal experience and opinion !!!!!!!! so take it with a grain of salt
Old 04-17-2005, 03:27 AM
zafiragsi

Just a question....... Why do you have to have the best radio money can buy to use in a monster beetle? For goodness sake the radio and all its ability will be wasted on anything other than an out and out racing car.
I used to race 1/5 circuit at mendip nr weston super mare and used the KO set you refer to. It is a fantastic set and will do averything except wash the dishes but even under race conditions i did not use anything like the functions it had.
In my MT I use a KO EX5 which is a 40mhgs AM set with no problems what so ever. The only thing I find of any use when setting up one of these off roaders is end point adjustment. This is good for setting up your digital servos so they dont over throw. The rest of it is gimmicks.
The other reason that people get these fancy sets of course is to show off when out driving. Half the time these type of people dont even know how to operate the bloody set
Save your money buy a cheap set with minimal functions. Less on it less to go wrong.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:35 PM
Pigsmightfly

Why settle for limited adjustment when the higher spec sets allow you to tune them to match your driving style exactly?

Brake mixing for example is not only of benefit to racers, off roaders with front and rear brakes don't particularly like their car being unstable under braking either

Exponential really comes in handy when upgrading to a tuned pipe to control wheelspin starts/wheelies. Having a Marder/Beetle throw mud and grass in yer eye is only fun the first few times

I could go on but relative to the cost of these models £140 isn't expensive or a waste. Even if someone doesn't use all of the functions to begin with chances are that they will eventually when as their interest in the hobby develops.

Why go am when FM is less susceptible to interference for little extra cost?
Old 04-25-2005, 02:03 PM
dazzahughesuk

I only paid £139.99 + £20 P&P for my 3PK, that is the same price as a mid range radio....!

Old 04-25-2005, 02:26 PM
dazzahughesuk

I could not of put it better my self!
Darren
ORIGINAL: Pigsmightfly

Why settle for limited adjustment when the higher spec sets allow you to tune them to match your driving style exactly?

Brake mixing for example is not only of benefit to racers, off roaders with front and rear brakes don't particularly like their car being unstable under braking either

Exponential really comes in handy when upgrading to a tuned pipe to control wheelspin starts/wheelies. Having a Marder/Beetle throw mud and grass in yer eye is only fun the first few times

I could go on but relative to the cost of these models £140 isn't expensive or a waste. Even if someone doesn't use all of the functions to begin with chances are that they will eventually when as their interest in the hobby develops.

Why go am when FM is less susceptible to interference for little extra cost?