Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Looking for long distance radio

Old 05-19-2005, 05:24 PM
Flubbis83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for long distance radio

What radio has the longest distance. Im gonna put a wireless camera on top of my car which works very far away and need a radio that works too. I undestand that Spektrum mod has a long distance but is there just a normal radio that works too?
Old 05-20-2005, 09:38 AM
JRexA

Default RE: Looking for long distance radio

You can also look at the Nomad Sensor radio.

Is should have a line of sight range of around 2000 feet.(600 meters)
If the antennas is replaced with High Gain antennas from wireless network cards, then range can be doubled or maybe trippled.
Also with High Gain antennas you can have quite long ranges even when there is no free line of sight. (1000 feet/300 meters).
Old 05-20-2005, 11:15 AM
Flubbis83

Exactly. I wanna good not-line-of-sight -radio? Does anyone know what is the range with Spektrum when there's not line-of-sight?
Old 05-20-2005, 01:11 PM
JRexA

The Spektrum should have similar ranges, as it is also based on 2.4ghz components, and I guess that they use similar transceiver chips.

Range through buildings with standard 2.4ghz Wireless LAN components is typically in the 100-200 feet range, but with high-gain antennas at both ends, it can be extended to around 1000 feet. But that kind of high gain antennas costs several hundred us$ each.

In order to get very good ranges you most likely need a directional antenna at one end.
I have seen antennas with a gain of around 40db, but they had to be pointed very acurately (less than 10 degrees) towards the target, and pricing might end at US$ 1000 for a single antenna.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:34 PM
Flubbis83

So is it so that if I wanna long distance radio system for a not too expensive price then the spektrum dsm is best?

Btw. If you use 1.2 ghz videocamera when using dsm does it interfere it?
Old 06-06-2005, 09:01 AM
JRexA

You can choose either the Spektrum or the Nomadio Sensor.

If the Spektrum uses loose antennas, then you can look at High Gain Antennas from Networking providers like D-Link http://www.dlink.com

If the Video is using 1.2Ghz, the it won't interfere with a 2.4Ghz system.
Even if it the Video is running on 2.4Ghz, then the two systems should automatically find free channels to work on. But the only way to find out is to test it.

Old 06-06-2005, 09:27 AM
WhoMe

I dont know if this will help. But at our race track we use a wireless 2.4 ghz camera system to monitor the races. Radios equipped with the spektrum modules do interfere with the video system. When ever a spektrum equipped radio is turned on the picture goes fuzzy. On the other hand when I turn on my Sensor radio from Nomadio there was no interference. No snow on the screen. Range wise..I can not give you the exact figuers but you might want to check out the Nomadio thread on this forum and ask them yourself. They seem very thurough at answering questions of a techinical nature.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 PM
Flubbis83

But is it possible to build my own radio system from those high gain anttennas? And if i do this do i need spektrum at all? How much those high antennas cost?
Old 06-07-2005, 07:07 AM
JRexA

The Spektrum is needed to get your module based system(Hitec CRX, JR R1 etc....) converted to 2.4Ghz.

The High Gain Antennas that I have mentioned are specifically made for 2.4Ghz Networking components and is totally useless for other frequenzy bands.

If you have the knowledge to design your own radio system from scratch, including custom made transmitters and receivers, then go ahead, and then you can decide for a frequenzy that suits, and you could also make a high power transmitter, to give you extra range.
Then you can also make a transmitter that are considerably more powerfull than the usual 100-200mW of the common 27/40/75Mhz systems.

As for prices of antennas, they vary from place to place, ask a local computer dealer, that sells D-Link, if you want to check the D-Link prices.

Also, since I don't have any specs on the antennas that the Spektrum is using, I can't give more than a Guesstimate as what range improvement high Gain antennas will give you. I can solely speak out from my experience with Wireless LAN products.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Flubbis83

Yeah, so Spektrums own antenna is replaced with those high gains, right? Do you know whether thats possible? What about the receivers antenna? Can it be replaced? Btw. What costs in those high gain antennas? Aren't they just a piece of metal.

And isnt Spektrum's radio control DX3 just the same as Spektrum module but just with the radio control? Do you know whether it's possible to replace it's antenna with hig gain?
Old 06-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For that matter, one can purchase the 2.4GHz Nimble Dart and make their own transmitter case since they will sell just the electronics. The receiver is also smaller than either Horizon's Spectrum or the Nomadio Sensor. Myself, I choose the Nomadio Sensor.

http://www.nimblemotorsports.com/dart.html
Old 06-12-2005, 04:28 AM
Flubbis83

Jrex if you could answer...
Old 06-12-2005, 01:21 PM
JRexA

I don't know if it is easily possible to replace the antennas on the Spektrum System, as I have never had one in my hand.

If the Spektrum System is using an SMA connector like the one used for Wireless LAN products, then there is no problems.

Else you will have to get started with the soldering iron.(and then no more warrenty etc..)

I have never tried replacing antennas on any 2.4Ghz RC system, I am solely speaking from my experience with 2.4Ghz Wireless LAN systems.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:27 PM
JRexA

As for pricing You will have to ask your local PC supplier, when you have decided which antennas you like.

Typically, The bigger the antenna, the longer range, and the heavier it is.

An 8dbi Antenna from D-Link http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=52
has a weight of around 7.4 pds and price at the D-Link Webshob is US$ 119 + shipping(for a single antenna)

You can find specs and pricing of the other antennas at Dlinks homepage http://www.dlink.com
Old 06-23-2005, 01:32 PM
Minibichus
My Feedback: (1)

Okay, I think I can answer this one.
I do have a 1/16 tamiya Tiger tank with a camera mounted on the turret. I use a high power 1.2 ghz video transmitter and I've tried a few ways to see what range to expect.
The best range I got so far is using a 75 mhz surface radio with a Dual Conversion 7-channel Receiver. The single conversion don't do as well as the dual conversion one. I also have two spektrum RX for my cars and when I installed one of them in the tank, I noticed the range of the system thru concrete sucked real bad. (barely 10 yards in some areas) The power ouput for the Spektrum is 10-20mW, not very much for going thru things and to give you an idea, a regular 75mhz radio is rated at 750mW power output (75 times more power). If you use a PCM dual conversion receiver (with the antenna extended its whole length), the range will be very good, even from inside your house. With my 3PK 75mhz module I was able to drive the tank well over 5 houses away by watching the video feed on TV from inside my basement. I could've gone a furhter, but it was pretty far away already so I decided to bring it back. I'd say the distance I went was around 500 yards... thats from inside my basement. If you can keep line of sight or close to l.o.s., then expect the range to be HUGE.

MB.

Old 06-24-2005, 11:27 AM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's interesting since I seem to recall reading that Spektrum's range was 3000 feet. Even if Nomadio's Sensor R/C transceiver was as limited, It wouldn't surprise me if some of Nomadio's military and law enforcement applications would work. After all, I'd guess the farther away from a bomb the better. By the way, in case you didn't read my other post--the Nomadio Sensor has a "tank" mode set up for something like your Tiger tank.
Old 06-28-2005, 08:12 AM
Flubbis83

ORIGINAL: Minibichus

Okay, I think I can answer this one.
I do have a 1/16 tamiya Tiger tank with a camera mounted on the turret. I use a high power 1.2 ghz video transmitter and I've tried a few ways to see what range to expect.
The best range I got so far is using a 75 mhz surface radio with a Dual Conversion 7-channel Receiver. The single conversion don't do as well as the dual conversion one. I also have two spektrum RX for my cars and when I installed one of them in the tank, I noticed the range of the system thru concrete sucked real bad. (barely 10 yards in some areas) The power ouput for the Spektrum is 10-20mW, not very much for going thru things and to give you an idea, a regular 75mhz radio is rated at 750mW power output (75 times more power). If you use a PCM dual conversion receiver (with the antenna extended its whole length), the range will be very good, even from inside your house. With my 3PK 75mhz module I was able to drive the tank well over 5 houses away by watching the video feed on TV from inside my basement. I could've gone a furhter, but it was pretty far away already so I decided to bring it back. I'd say the distance I went was around 500 yards... thats from inside my basement. If you can keep line of sight or close to l.o.s., then expect the range to be HUGE.

MB.

I dont understand the technical stuff you said so could you say what kind of an equipment i need to receive that high range you receive with yours.
Old 07-04-2005, 03:27 PM
Flubbis83

Minibichus please answer if youre there....

So you used Futaba 3PK and 7 channel dual receiver? Is this that kind of receiver: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
Old 07-14-2005, 01:58 AM
Nomadio_Dave

ORIGINAL: JRexA

You can choose either the Spektrum or the Nomadio Sensor.

If the Spektrum uses loose antennas, then you can look at High Gain Antennas from Networking providers like D-Link http://www.dlink.com
While you're technically not supposed to do this, you certainly can change the Nomadio antennas, at least currently. We use an RP-SMA connector on both ends, which is fairly common in the 2.4GHz world. On our military projects, using 5.5-6.0dBi stick antennas (about $20-$25; the used to sell these at Rat Shack, until they did some deal with an 802.11 access point company, and now only carry N-connector antennas), and typically get about 1500ft or more. There are still stronger antennas possible, that's where they starts to add cost. The stock antennas are around 2dBi on each end ("dBi" is the antenna gain -- I'll explain that, if anyone wonders how a stick of wire can have gain; 6dB is a doubling of power, but effective range is a more complex issue).

ORIGINAL: JRexA
If the Video is using 1.2Ghz, the it won't interfere with a 2.4Ghz system.
Even if it the Video is running on 2.4Ghz, then the two systems should automatically find free channels to work on. But the only way to find out is to test it.
The Nomadio radio system will seek a clean channel, jumping around things like 2.4GHz camera transmitters. However, that's not the whole story. If the camera is too close to our antenna (or anyone else's for that matter), you can have a sort of RF coupling that will mess with both signals, even if they're on different channels in the same band. Even when separation is practical, there can be some fighting between units. For one, the TV transmitter on your vehicle is sort of like a big fat drunk guy singing along with the band at a rock concert.... if the band you're trying to hear didn't set their amps on 11. The loud 2.4GHz transmission can tend to drown out very weak radio signals even when on different channels. There are off-the-shelf fixes for this too, but that's more money still.