Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Spektrum Q's

Old 05-26-2005, 10:44 AM
sneak191
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spektrum Q's

Hi everyone,

After searching and reading through many, many threads, I can't find a complete answer to my Q's about the spektrum system.

One LHS says it has had a good number of returns due to binding problems and delay issues. Another LHS says they are selling like crazy with no complaints. I read about some of the problems on Spektrum's website.

1. Have these problems been resolved?

2. Is it better to get a 3PK w/ Spektrum now, or wait for the DX3, which is just about the same as my current JR XS3 Pro in terms of features?

3. What is your personal experience with the Spektrum system?

4. Nomadio Sensor...thoughts? Comparisons?

Thanks for your input.

Peter
Old 05-26-2005, 01:03 PM
bentgear

Default RE: Spektrum Q's

Peter, can't answer all your questions on the Spektrum but I got one a while back and liked it so much I had to get another receiver. Fixing to get a third. I have had no binding problems and no delays, infact the operational speed seems to be much quicker than when it was a plain FM system.

We had one guy that could not get his receiver and transmitter bound together. I tried it for him and it worked perfect. Not sure if he was holding his mouth wrong or what.

I did have one problem with mine, actually two separate problems. Neither was the systems fault. Got one receiver wet and both throttle and steering shifted center 38%. Removed it from the case and gave it an alcohol bath, dried it and both steering and throttle could be set back to 0% for centering. Had a throttle servo go bqd and start pulling major current. Drained a 1,400 receiver pack in two five minute heats. No damage to the receiver due to the amp load.

The Sensor looks interesting, just waiting a bit since they have no track record.

Ed M.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:52 AM
Dnell

I'd say; If you have a high end radio that is compatible with the Spektrum, get Spektrum. If you're looking to upgrade your current set-up get Nomadio. I have the Spektrum for my KO Helios, I've been reading up on the Nomadio and it's made me think of selling up and buying their system.

Make no mistake. If you race or bash at a busy track or meeting place, these systems are the way to go. If you're just hammering around having fun then I feel it would be hard to really justify the outlay. Reason being, for under $50 you can have enough crystals to cover any potential clash.
Old 05-27-2005, 11:38 AM
sneak191
My Feedback: (1)

Well, I got a brand new ntc3 factory team kit built and ready for the track. I also do a lot of off-roading at a smaller local track, where there are usually anywhere from 5 to 10 buggies or trucks running at the same time. Only one guy at the track has a 3pk with spektrum, and he had to send it back (the spektrum) because he had serious problems. He seems to be running it fine now. I've not yet had a problem with my JR Pro (sythesized), but am seriously considering an upgrade. I'm just not sure which way to go because it's a serious investment for me.

Assuming the 3pk has a spektrum module, isn't it a better overall radio than the DX3?

The Nomadio seems like it will be a bit too much for me. I just learned it will carry a tag of over $500...OUCH. I guess the whole telemetry thing is nice though.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:40 PM
Dnell

I suffered some binding problems with my Spektrum and KO Helios I'm looking forward to getting my receiver back any day now. I'm considering selling up and adopting the Nomadio Kit.

I've been following the Nomadio system and the chat about it. Here a couple of links for ya. Nomadio and there marketing people seem to be on the ball.

http://www.rctech.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72703

http://www.nomadio.net/default.asp?ilevel1=2

Spektum has this due out in June

http://www.spektrumrc.com/DX3/Default.html