Notices
RC Car Radio Equipment Discuss specific topics related to RC car radios. For general or non rc car specific radio topics please see our regular radio discussion forum.

Got My Sensor

Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Seiki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got My Sensor

I got my sensor in the mail today. A total of 4 disapointments and i havnt used it yet

1) A note say that basicly the first gen trancivers are messed up and you have to register in order for them to send you a new one that works with the tachometer.

2) I got no tachometer sensor

3) I got no USB cable so i cant register to get my new tranciver

4) They say you get a rechargable battry pack. I got 4 rechargable AA ' s

Also. This is a question for Nomadio
What is the secound wire hanging out in the bottom of the sensor where the AA 's go?
Old 06-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Got My Sensor

I take it you haven't been following the Nomadio thread.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_17...page_12/tm.htm

1) Look at it this way or at least this is the way I look at it--you end up with two transceivers instead of one at the price of one.

2) The tach sensor is supposed to be shipped with the new transceiver.

3) Do you have a digital camera? If so, the cable may fit. That's what I used though I've already received the USB cable from Nomadio.

4) Actually you probably received 4 rechargeable batteries and a charger or at least that is what I received.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:36 PM
WhoMe

I dont see the downside.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:35 PM
Nomadio_Dave

ORIGINAL: Seiki

I got my sensor in the mail today. A total of 4 disapointments and i havnt used it yet

1) A note say that basicly the first gen trancivers are messed up and you have to register in order for them to send you a new one that works with the tachometer.
Actually, that's not quite the reason. Basically, I had tach working nearly two years ago. Since it was working, we pretty much just assumed it would keep working. When it came time to shrink the receiver for the consumer stuff (the Sensor), we started to think the way we did tach was wrong. In order to support both tach and speed, we have to handle some pretty high revs, which basically meant doing this in hardware. When we went from 8-bit to 16-bit microcontrollers in the transceivers, we lost the bit of hardware that did tach. So I added a tiny microcontroller, and that was all fine and good for the earlier versions of the transceiver we're shipping now.

Three issues arose. One was simple: what happens when we integrate the transceiver. The current one is a two board unit, and while we think it's pretty reliable, a single PCB unit is inherently better. Then, what happens when we want to make a transceiver that's comfortable in Mini-Ts or something else tiny. It made sense to eliminate anything we could from the basic design. Second issue: since we now have a microcontroller doing "the tach", why not make this a general purpose thing, and support other kinds of "digital" sensors. The ports for temp sensors right now only do temperature in sofware, but they're pretty general purpose for analog things you'd like to measure. The tach port wasn't, it only did tach. So I had a reason to make the port more flexible. Third reason: how to support field upgrades. When the transceiver was an 8-bit micro, the answer was "we don't -- we fix in on the Sensor". But that's not a great answer ... what if we want to tweak the radio protocol, or something else that affects both units? So the "tach" port is basically a general purpose serial port, and the tach sensor is now smart -- it has both the magnetic sensor and a tiny microcontroller. Unfortunately, while this was the right decision, I made it too later to get the Rev 2.0 tach sensor done (and even at that, it was done by a new hardware engineer... things have been very, very busy here lately).
2) I got no tachometer sensor
Basically, they weren't ready, that's the real answer. Because of above. The new tachs should work fine with the existing receivers, though you'll need a software update -- but that's ok, we like software updates. New features on demand, if there's enough demand and a way to do it. The main reason for the new transceiver is that you'll get a single-board design, which incorporates feedback from our beta group (all experienced racers). That means a slightly smaller case (particularly thinner) and internal antenna connector, both otherwise, same features as the current one. Which you do get to keep, though once the new ones are out, it'll no longer be officially supported.
3) I got no USB cable so i cant register to get my new tranciver
Oh, you did get an early unit. This was entirely due to a bunch of overworked engineers packing the first boxes that went out.
4) They say you get a rechargable battry pack. I got 4 rechargable AA ' s
And a battery pack. We discussed it at length, and decided that we don't want to be in the battery business. Thus, no custom battery packs. The AA pack lets you use AAs if you need them in a pinch, or top of the line high capacity AAs if you want them. Custom packs block this, and have you paying $50 for a pack with less capacity than $25 (or less) in commodity batteries.
Also. This is a question for Nomadio
What is the secound wire hanging out in the bottom of the sensor where the AA 's go?
That's what I call the "Daisy-chain" cable. When you hook your Sensor to the PC, you can hook the transceiver to the Sensor via that cable, and access the transceiver as if it were directly on USB attached to the PC. For updates and, maybe, other stuff in the future. In that mode, the Sensor is also powering the transceiver.

-Dave